PDA

View Full Version : Thog theory

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-26, 09:58 AM
Roy died. Thog is his evil opposite. The linear guild attempt to be the same as OOTS but evil (or good in the case of Belkar) so does that mean Thogs not an official member of LG until Roy comes back?

Also seeing as Nale, Thog and Sabine are reccurring characters does this symbolise that Roy, Elan and Hayley are the main characters in the order?

Maratanos
2007-07-26, 09:59 AM
Reading too much in it.

Garriath
2007-07-26, 10:28 AM
I think the Linear Guild's a bit too picky on members for your theory to be right. If they were that focused on the 'evil opposite' idea, they'd have had to settle with sub-par opposites for V, Belkar, and Durkon ever since losing the last bunch.

Yeril
2007-07-26, 10:33 AM
If they were that focused on the 'evil opposite' idea, they'd have had to settle with sub-par opposites for V, Belkar, and Durkon ever since losing the last bunch.

you mean EXACLY like they did with Pompey, The Kobold and The gnome?

Daimbert
2007-07-26, 11:05 AM
Roy died. Thog is his evil opposite. The linear guild attempt to be the same as OOTS but evil (or good in the case of Belkar) so does that mean Thogs not an official member of LG until Roy comes back?

No, they'll just kill Thog and raise him again when Roy is raised ... [grin].

I don't think the LG is aware that Roy is dead yet.

factotum
2007-07-26, 11:15 AM
And even if they DO become aware, I think Nale has lost his appetite for the "evil opposites" theme. Note his comment in strip #458:

"I'm sick of dead weight on this team. I mean, 'Pompey'? What was I possibly thinking?"

Morty
2007-07-26, 11:22 AM
Besides, this whole "evil opposite" thing will get repetitive if Nale pulls this out one more time.

Porthos
2007-07-26, 11:23 AM

In what way was Leeky Windstaff "subpar"? :smalltongue: In fact, I'd go as far to say that he was easily the most powerful member of the Linear Guild.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-26, 12:53 PM
good point...but he abandoned the linear guild, so that made him a loser...i.e. subpar.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-26, 03:10 PM
good point...but he abandoned the linear guild, so that made him a loser...i.e. subpar.

Not to mention Pompey was a bust (I mean, all he did was conjure some centipedes that a 16-year old girl could take out with Magic Missile!) and Yokyok was bested easily. (His strategy was "chase the halfling". Belkar, with his Fast Movement from barbarian, was much faster than Yokyok. Yokyok never tried anything but "My name is Yokyok Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!")

Corvis
2007-07-26, 03:35 PM
Belkar, with his Fast Movement from barbarian, was much faster than Yokyok.

Belkar, with his Fast Movement from barbarian, was exactly as fast as Yokyok.

Kobolds have a base land speed of 30 feet.

Halflings have a base speed of 20 feet, with Belkar getting a +10 bonus for fast movement.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-26, 03:57 PM
Belkar, with his Fast Movement from barbarian, was exactly as fast as Yokyok.

Kobolds have a base land speed of 30 feet.

Halflings have a base speed of 20 feet, with Belkar getting a +10 bonus for fast movement.

Really? Oh, I had assumed that since Kobolds were Small, they had 20 foot movement speed. Still, that means that Yokyok and Belkar could never have tied unless Yokyok cornered him. Not a very good tactic. (Princess Bride is an exception because there are no movement rules, and the only exit to the room was blocked.)

Garriath
2007-07-26, 04:27 PM

Yes, yes, I did. My point was that, they acted just fine once Pompey and co. were gone; ergo, their goal isn't evil-oppositism so much as thwarting the Order's plans.

Yeril
2007-07-26, 04:31 PM
Really? Oh, I had assumed that since Kobolds were Small, they had 20 foot movement speed. Still, that means that Yokyok and Belkar could never have tied unless Yokyok cornered him. Not a very good tactic. (Princess Bride is an exception because there are no movement rules, and the only exit to the room was blocked.)

They have rules for this, somthing like every minute of running they make opposed Constitution checks and the looser slows down (either yok-yok not being able to keep up with belkar, or belkar not being able to run anymore)

Kish
2007-07-26, 07:50 PM
Yes, yes, I did. My point was that, they acted just fine once Pompey and co. were gone; ergo, their goal isn't evil-oppositism so much as thwarting the Order's plans.
If they--that is, Nale--didn't care about the "evil opposites" theme, he wouldn't have gone to so much trouble to find new mirrors for Durkon, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius, as opposed to just evil adventurers. He made a big point to Sabine of not being willing to give it up.

Borris
2007-07-26, 10:55 PM
Back when he recruited Pompey, Yokyok, and Leeky, Nale cared a lot about the evil opposites theme, but as he says in #458 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html): "I'm sick of dead weight on this team." I'm pretty the Linear Guild will drop that them from now on (it would get repetitive the third time around), but that doesn't mean they won't recruit another new member or two.

Oberon
2007-07-27, 12:31 AM
No, they'll just kill Thog and raise him again when Roy is raised ... [grin].

Or they could raise him as undead... that kinda like the evil version of being dead... right?

Or, alternatively, Thog is even MORE an opposite now than before, seeing as he is alive and roy is not.

Ettlesby
2007-07-27, 12:57 AM
Or they could raise him as undead... that kinda like the evil version of being dead... right?

Or, alternatively, Thog is even MORE an opposite now than before, seeing as he is alive and roy is not.

And that's the opposite-ness Nale seems to like the most.

Oberon
2007-07-27, 01:09 AM
And that's the opposite-ness Nale seems to like the most.

Agreed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html)

Although the second time he just Imprisoned Elan...

Meh, I'm sure he was coming back to finish him off someday.

Troll Mage
2007-07-27, 08:59 AM

In what way did he abandon the linear guild? I looked back at the Cliffport strips and it ends with him being beaten and subdued (by the entire group btw) presumably to be tried like Thog and Elan.

factotum
2007-07-27, 10:50 AM
In what way did he abandon the linear guild?

Check the last panel of #399.

fangthane
2007-07-27, 11:06 AM
The question though is whether Nale knows Leeky deserted, or just thinks he's either laying low or captured. Not that he's going to be counting on the gnome for support, but he may not have a lot of animosity toward the little guy either.

I agree though; the evil opposites thing has played out at this point, and while Rich may have in mind some sort of punchline for the third (always in threes, of course) it's just as likely, if not moreso, that Nale will go in a different direction with his recruiting.

Troll Mage
2007-07-27, 03:51 PM
Check the last panel of #399.

Ahhh seen. thanks i had forgotten about that. :smallsmile:

cavalier973
2007-07-27, 05:43 PM
They have rules for this, somthing like every minute of running they make opposed Constitution checks and the looser slows down (either yok-yok not being able to keep up with belkar, or belkar not being able to run anymore)

Holy Cow that gives me a headache just thinking about it. Do people really have fun rolling for constitutional slowdown? (I'm one of the posers who only play Computer Game versions of D&D)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-27, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure we're done with the whole "Evil Opposites" theme, but does Nale really have the team he needs? He's smart, sneaky, but over confident. Sabine has her powers, and Thog is there if you need someone strong, but ultimately expendable, for The Plan.

Is he weak in any area? Healing? Ranged fire? Magic?

If you were Nale, who would you want on your team?

Me? I'd have an average five-year-old child.

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
(See note 12)

Querzis
2007-07-28, 12:45 AM
If Nale goal would still be to defeat the OOTS then he would try to find evil oopposite again. Nale doesnt think its worth it to win if he doesnt do it in style after all. And, seeing as he is kinda carefree with his own life, I suspect he indeed payed a cleric somewhere to resurect him if he die. But Nale said it, hes not interested in the OOTS anymore, it was just revenge for breaking the talisman after all and he was kinda bored since he had no other plans to get an army (why does he want power or an army so badly though? I dunno, think it might have something to do with his father). But now whats important for Nale is the gates, he dont have time to find evil opposites for peoples he dont even think he will meet again so why bother?

Oberon
2007-07-28, 01:39 AM
If Nale goal would still be to defeat the OOTS then he would try to find evil oopposite again. Nale doesnt think its worth it to win if he doesnt do it in style after all. And, seeing as he is kinda carefree with his own life, I suspect he indeed payed a cleric somewhere to resurect him if he die. But Nale said it, hes not interested in the OOTS anymore, it was just revenge for breaking the talisman after all and he was kinda bored since he had no other plans to get an army (why does he want power or an army so badly though? I dunno, think it might have something to do with his father). But now whats important for Nale is the gates, he dont have time to find evil opposites for peoples he dont even think he will meet again so why bother?

I'm pretty sure Nale knows that the OOTS is now concerned with protectin the gates, and seeing how he is somewhat aware of dramatic events and how they work ("Bond Villian" preparation, Insisting that he had to stare at Elan before he was dragged away) so he probably suspects that he will fight the OOTS again someday. The LG probably doesn;t mind this too much, as they (Sabine especdially) seemed to want another chanced to kill the OOTS.

But I'm pretty sure he's given up on Evil opposites.

factotum
2007-07-28, 02:55 AM
Is he weak in any area? Healing? Ranged fire? Magic?

He's arguably weak in all three, which is why people were saying Tsukiko would be a great addition to the Linear Guild. Obviously that didn't happen...