PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dnd 3.5 ..attacking while prone?

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 07:31 PM
And im back again!! Is there a thing saying you cant or can attack with a weapon while prone?
If so is there a penalty involved or no?

Currently asking cause my group managed to not kill an extremely devoted cultist guy and they dont know he has a fast healing ring on
( -1 knocked out, next round +2 pretending to be knocked out untill he either a. Recovers more hp or b. The party finally takes his weapons/tries to tie him up.

Malimar
2017-03-17, 07:36 PM
A prone character can make attacks with a melee weapon at a -4 penalty; they can make attacks with a crossbow at no penalty; they can't make attacks with non-crossbow ranged weapons.

Prone
The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Necroticplague
2017-03-17, 07:37 PM
And im back again!! Is there a thing saying you cant or can attack with a weapon while prone?
If so is there a penalty involved or no?

Currently asking cause my group managed to not kill an extremely devoted cultist guy and they dont know he has a fast healing ring on
( -1 knocked out, next round +2 pretending to be knocked out untill he either a. Recovers more hp or b. The party finally takes his weapons/tries to tie him up.

Yes, there is. The Prone condition itself. Attack with melee at -4, attack with crossbow at -0, can't use other ranged weapons at all.

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 08:20 PM
It would be the same with a reach weapon? ( he has short haft so its kinda moot but was curious)

Telonius
2017-03-17, 08:29 PM
The character can use a reach weapon; they would just take a -4 penalty to attack, whether they're using Short Haft or not. If you're still armed with a reach weapon, you're still threatening all of the spaces within your reach.

Particle_Man
2017-03-17, 08:52 PM
Also, tripping opponents is more risk-free. What are they gonna do if you fail - try to trip you when you are already prone? :smallsmile:

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 08:56 PM
Thats true lol... While im not hoping to kill someone with this surprise attack, im trying,to drive into my players heads that this cult is ready to go all the way

Necroticplague
2017-03-17, 09:09 PM
It would be the same with a reach weapon? ( he has short haft so its kinda moot but was curious)

Yes. A reach melee weapon is still a melee weapon.

Venger
2017-03-17, 09:46 PM
The character can use a reach weapon; they would just take a -4 penalty to attack, whether they're using Short Haft or not. If you're still armed with a reach weapon, you're still threatening all of the spaces within your reach.

doesn't a reach weapon only attack people at its reach? e.g. if you have a spear, you threaten people at 10ft, but not at 5 ft unless you have a natural weapon or similar that threatens at 5.

Uncle Pine
2017-03-18, 02:09 AM
doesn't a reach weapon only attack people at its reach? e.g. if you have a spear, you threaten people at 10ft, but not at 5 ft unless you have a natural weapon or similar that threatens at 5.

Some reach weapons can threaten adjacent squares (i.e. spiked chain).

Venger
2017-03-18, 02:15 AM
Some reach weapons can threaten adjacent squares (i.e. spiked chain).

right, or the duom, but I don't know what kind of weapon the character's using, and most reach weapons don't work that way.

finaldooms
2017-03-18, 02:49 AM
Trident, and like i said he has short haft so he can hot 5ft lol...thanks alot for all the help. .now to wait and see how long they take talking,over his. " unconscious " body

Sliver
2017-03-18, 03:39 AM
Being unconscious would likely cause one to drop their weapons. While the weapon may be still within reach, the cultist will need to spend a move action to grab it first. If combat is still ongoing, then maybe Spot vs Slight of Hand, with penalty to spot due to distraction, to see if the party notices or not, and see if the cultist can catch them flatfooted. If combat isn't ongoing, the party is more likely to notice, grabbing the weapon counts as the action for the surprise round if they do.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-18, 02:20 PM
Being unconscious would likely cause one to drop their weapons. While the weapon may be still within reach, the cultist will need to spend a move action to grab it first. If combat is still ongoing, then maybe Spot vs Slight of Hand, with penalty to spot due to distraction, to see if the party notices or not, and see if the cultist can catch them flatfooted. If combat isn't ongoing, the party is more likely to notice, grabbing the weapon counts as the action for the surprise round if they do.

I'd probably also require the guy to make a Bluff check to successfully play dead, so to speak.