PDA

View Full Version : Historical campaign?

TheManicMonocle
2017-03-17, 10:06 PM
So I was wondering, has anyone ever tried a campaign that takes place in the European middle ages? Y'know, clerics and paladins are christian, wizards are burned, etc.?

Knaight
2017-03-17, 11:15 PM
So I was wondering, has anyone ever tried a campaign that takes place in the European middle ages? Y'know, clerics and paladins are christian, wizards are burned, etc.?

If it's a historical campaign the D&D classes have no business showing up - "cleric" is a name for a priest, they don't have spells, turn undead, etc.. "Paladin" is a name for a particular order of knights, which also have no spell casting, and don't smite evil or detect it or whatever else. Wizards probably isn't even used as a term, and if there are witch burnings (which existed during the middle ages but were way more prevalent in the early modern period) the "witches" in question are mostly lower class civilians, and none of them have magic.

I've run historical campaigns before, but I certainly haven't used D&D to do it.

TheManicMonocle
2017-03-17, 11:27 PM
If it's a historical campaign the D&D classes have no business showing up - "cleric" is a name for a priest, they don't have spells, turn undead, etc.. "Paladin" is a name for a particular order of knights, which also have no spell casting, and don't smite evil or detect it or whatever else. Wizards probably isn't even used as a term, and if there are witch burnings (which existed during the middle ages but were way more prevalent in the early modern period) the "witches" in question are mostly lower class civilians, and none of them have magic.

I've run historical campaigns before, but I certainly haven't used D&D to do it.

Yes yes, I use the term historical to convey the setting more, this would assume a small tweak in the usual where magic is real, and very rarely some holy men exhibit miraculous power

Scarlet Knight
2017-03-19, 06:19 AM
Yes, we based it off the Tales of King Arthur, where wizards aren't burned on sight, and put in the historical culture & limits whenever useful. Example: witches & wizards existed, peasants feared them, avoided them when they could, & appeased them when they couldn't. My monks looked like Friars but studied the Greek martial art Pankration rather than Kung Fu.

BWR
2017-03-19, 11:58 AM
There's Ars Magica. It's probably the best you'll get.

LughSpear
2017-03-19, 12:05 PM
Lamentations of the flame princess - The god that crawls.

Spoilers: Here (http://i.imgur.com/bSnW0Or.jpg)