PDA

View Full Version : Help Building a Bene Gessirt Themed Mystic

QUARE
2017-03-18, 09:16 AM
The Mystic class really reminds me of the Bene Gessirt from Dune. Could you guys help me build a Dune themed character?

Leith
2017-03-18, 10:45 AM
Build a monk. The Bene Gesserit use their minds to effect total body control of themselves, they use this control and linguistic and body language tricks to manipulate others bodies. The only psychic power they have is to see the future which is just a byproduct of over using spice.
Monk makes more sense to me.

solidork
2017-03-18, 11:14 AM
!!!
I've only read Dune, and none of the later books, but I agree that this is a great fit.

Here are the disciplines that I think make sense for them:
Adaptive Body (this doesn't include neutralizing poisons though, which is unfortunate)
Aura Sight (insane ability to read subtle body language, detect pheromones, etc)
Celerity (fits well with descriptions of the weirding way, moving so fast it looks like teleportation, etc)
Intellect Fortress (particularly the ability to boost mental saving throws)
Mantle of Awe (one of the disciplines that encompasses parts of The Voice. This has several abilities that don't make sense though, since they are out right psychic manipulation)
Nomadic Mind (many abilities could be explained as accessing genetic memories)
Precognition (true precog is super rare, but most of the abilities in this discipline could be explained by the supercharged sensory and deductive abilities displayed by Mentats/Bene Gesserit)
Telepathic Contact (this is the other discipline that I think is closest to the The Voice)
Third Eye (as mentioned, enhanced sensory abilities are one of the cornerstones of their abilities)

One I'm not sure about is Brute Strength. It's the closest among the abilities that straight up do increased damage, and Bene Gesserit training in perfecting control over your own body would definitely lead to being stronger to some degree, but it feels like Brute Force goes a little too far. A discipline that was flavored as dealing increased damage because of enhanced precision (similar to a Rogue's sneak attack) would make more sense.

Basically, disciplines that involve altering/affecting the self are the ones that make most sense.