PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Twinned Warding Bond

Marcloure
2017-03-18, 03:23 PM
Can a sorcerer (favored soul) cast the Warding Bond spell with the Twinned Spell metamagic and target a second ally?

RickAllison
2017-03-18, 04:30 PM
I think you could, but you would need a third platinum ring worth 50 gp. This is because while Revivify and similar may only require material components for the casting, Warding Bond needs both caster snd target(s) to be wearing the rings.

RSP
2017-03-18, 04:48 PM
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but I could see some DMs taking the stance that the spell targets two creatures, the one warded, and the caster, particularly since it flat out states it creates a bond between the two creatures (so effectively not targeting only 1 creature).

PhantomSoul
2017-03-18, 10:53 PM
It seems like a major 'up to the DM' case, but as I read it there's only one target, even if two creatures are affected with each casting. That said, I might be reluctant to use it unless I'd really been careful about my HP, since the DM could easily punish you abusing the spell by hitting those two creatures for a lot of damage -- meaning you could get knocked unconscious even if your character is too far from the action to get hit. And sorcerers tend not to have the best HP, which is where the build planning aspect for the trick could easily come in...

Dalebert
2017-03-19, 02:44 PM
The spell doesn't consider the caster a target. It says in the text "the target" a couple of times.