PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for Wizard spell choices!

Clone
2017-03-18, 03:54 PM
Hey all, was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I'm currently in a campaign as a Wizard for the first time and hit level 4 last session. I was looking ahead for the spells I'll get an... just wow, so much choice!
I've a small idea of what I'll pick up, such as the classic Fireball etc but I was wondering if there were any spells each of you take yourself when playing a spellcaster. Be it for utility, pure damage, hilarity, whatever it may be. Whats the reason for picking those spells? Any stories?
I'm not quite asking "tell me what I should get" but more that I would like to hear your reasoning for your choices.

But for those wondering, I'm the only spellcaster with an Assassin Rogue, Way of the Long Death Monk and Battlemaster fighter. My character is a Bladesinger and so far I've been the utility, crowd control, blaster and recently healer when I picked up cure wounds via magic initiate (My DM ruled it was cool to use my normal spell slots as long as I use the CHA stat from it being a Bard spell). For weapons I've been switching between a Rapier and Longbow depending on the situation. We aren't optimized but we rolled for stats and I rolled pretty well, with 7/18/14/18/10/14 after racial.

Any guidance is appreciated, but I'd love to hear all your stories more.

Strill
2017-03-18, 03:59 PM
IMO Hypnotic Pattern and Counterspell are the #1 priority spells for 5th level. Hypnotic Pattern trivializes large groups of enemies, and you need Counterspell if you don't want your party to get Fireballed by an enemy spellcaster.

Sans.
2017-03-18, 04:47 PM
Counterspell, Fireball, maaaybe Hypnotic Pattern at higher levels in the lowest slot, like Tasha's Hideous Laughter, or Haste or Fly or Blink... Actually, there's a lot of good options at 5th. I'd take one blasty/cc, and one buff/utility.

NecroDancer
2017-03-18, 11:35 PM
I would take lighting bolt. Lighting bolt has the same amount of damage as fireball and is less resisted, it also won't hit an ally who is in melee range.

EDIT: Slow can also be very useful but it's a bit niche.

Sans.
2017-03-19, 02:43 AM
I would take lighting bolt. Lighting bolt has the same amount of damage as fireball and is less resisted, it also won't hit an ally who is in melee range.

EDIT: Slow can also be very useful but it's a bit niche.

Lightning Bolt won't usually hit more than 2 or 3 things... and Slow would be really good but the targets get a new save every turn. As it is, it's still quite nice.