PDA

View Full Version : The decent had destroyed me. Yet, I lived. "Raziel. You are worthy." [Prestige Class]

Jibar
2007-07-26, 11:52 AM
You are my reaper of souls. You have no other purpose, no higher destiny - just this. Accept your calling, Raziel. Let go of these vain hopes. Relinquish your will, and feed.

Soul Reaver
Death carries such unexpected results. While to the Lich is carries a blessing, to the Allip it carries a curse. The Blood Magus learns from it, while a Necromancer abuses it. But for the Soul Reaver, something else happens. Both curse and boon, they emerge from death nothing more than a Wraith, but with a whole new purpose, whether it be survival, revenge or something even darker.
They are now a Soul Reaver, and with their symbiotic blades they seek to escape the eventuallity of death. To a Soul Reaver, the ultimate meaning of life is to live.
Soul Reavers take a rather unique journey, their abilities making them very focused on denying their enemies the same gift of regeneration, yet also allow the Soul Reaver to keep himself alive at any means.
Adaption: The Soul Reaver's power could instead come from a deity of death instead of their own will. Many Soul Reavers born in this sense are used as the deity's arm amongst mortals. Other Soul Reavers could be raised by Necromancers as powerful champions or generals.
Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Soul Reaver, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-good
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks
Feats: Diehard, Iron Will, Improved Unarmed Strike
Special: The character must have been killed by a trusted ally, and then returned back to life

Class Skills
The Soul Reaver's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Heal (Wis), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Survival (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Soul Reaver Prestige class.
Weapon and Amour Proficiency: Soul Reavers gain no profiency with with any weapon or armour.
Symbitotic Weapon: When the Soul Reaver came back, they brought something with them. As a move action, a Soul Reaver can summon this force to them, the weapon taking the shape of a longsword composed of energy. The Soul Reaver is automatically proficient in this weapon, and may apply Weapon Finesse if they can.
The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a long sword of a size appropriate for its wielder. For instance, a Medium Soul Reaver materializes a Medium Symbiotic Weapon that he can wield as a martial weapon, and the blade deals 1d8 points of damage (crit 19-20/x2). Soul Reavers who are smaller or larger than Medium create mind blades identical to longswords appropriate for their size, with a corresponding change to the blade's damage (see Table 7-4 and Table 7-5 in the Player's Handbook). The wielder of a Symbiotic Weapon gains the usual benefits to his attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus.
A Symbitoic Weapon, while similar to the mindblade of a Soulknife, cannot be broken. Instead, any attack made to the blade forces the blade to withdraw back into the wielder. If the blade has withdrawn, the Soul Reaver can use a free action to summon it. A Symbiotic Weapon is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A Soul Reaver can use feats such as Power Attack or Combat Expertise in conjuction with the Symbiotic Weapon just as if it were a normal weapon. He can also choose Symbiotic Weapon for feats requiring a specific weapon choice, such as Weapon Specialization. Powers or spells that upgrade weapons cannot be used on a Symbiotic Weapon. However, powers or spells that upgrade natural weapons can be used on the Symbiotic Weapon.
A Soul Reaver's Symbiotic Weapon improves naturally as they gain levels. The Symbiotic Weapon gains a +1 at 2nd level, +2 at 6th level and +3 at 10th level.
If a Soul Reaver is hit by a Dispel Magic spell, Dismissal spell or a spell with a similar effect, he loses the Symbiotic Weapon for 1d6 minutes or until they are 100ft away from the original caster rounds. A Soul Reaver can negate this effect by succeeding on a Concentration check (DC 20 + Opponents caster level)
Redeemer and Destroyer: At 2nd level the strain of the Symbiotic Weapon and the weight of mortality is taking it's effect upon the Soul Reaver. Their body is now withered, the bones easily visible poking through the skin. Their skin also looks weathered, and is turning a little grey. The Soul Reaver now takes a minus -2 on Disguise checks, and takes a permenant -2 damage to Charisma, but where the mortal constraints fail, the mind perseveres, gaining +2 Wisdom.
Telekinetic strike: At 3rd level the Soul Reaver gains the ability to strike foes at great distace. As a standard action he can project a ball of force at an opponent 50ft away, dealing damage equal to a Concentration check. They can use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Soul Reaver level.
Pawn and Messiah: At 4th level their body is under even further strain. Their hands have now become nothing more than crude cloved claws with a thumb, and their feet have become cloven hooves. They take a further -2 on Disguise checks and take permenant -2 Dexterity damage, but in addition, the Soul Reaver has learnt better control over their body. They gain +2 to their Strength score.
Bound to the Spectral: At 5th level, a Soul Reaver becomes partly undead. Positive energy now harms them and negative energy heals them. However they gain none of the benefits of being undead, such as immunity from Critical Hits. Also, if a Soul Reaver is affected by a Turn Undead ability, they lose all their class abilities for 1d6 rounds.
Time Spanned Soul: At 6th level their body undergoes it's last change. Rather than a physical change, they instead gain a supernatural power. The Soul Reaver can now heal themself when a creature dies equal to the creature's Constitution score. To do this requires a full round action, and provokes attacks of opportunity. A Soul Reaver can perform this action 1/minute.
Wraith Blade: At 7th level the Symbiotic Weapon becomes a Wraith Blade. The Wraith Blade functions exactly like the Symbiotic Weapon, but is treated as having the Ghost Touch properties.
Free Will: At 8th level the Soul Reaver gains the ability to deny fate. Anytime the Soul Reaver would be sent below 0 Hit Points, they can make a Will save (DC 10 + amount of damage) to instantly bring themselves back to 1hp. Also, whenever a Soul Reaver is at -1 or less hit points, they can make a Concentration check (DC 20), to bring themselves to 1 hp as well. The Soul Reaver takes a -2 on this check for each enemy within 30ft, and -4 for each within 10ft.
The Spectral Realm: At 9th level, the Soul Reaver can temporairly turn incorporeal. This lasts for 1d4 minutes, and the Soul Reaver cannot end the ability prematurely. During this time, the Soul Reaver cannot effect corporeal objects, with actions or attacks. However, while they are incorporeal, their Wraith Blade cannot be dismissed, by the Soul Reaver or opponents, and the Soul Reaver can pass through solid matter less than 1 foot thick.
This ability is activated whenever a Soul Reaver reaches -10hp. When they become incorporeal they are brought back to 1hp. This ability can be used 1/week.
Wraith: At 10th level the Soul Reaver can now continue their own existence by denying others theirs. When a Soul Reaver defeats an opponent, they may then use a full round action to devour the soul. Devouring the soul requires a Concentration check (DC 10 + number of creature's hit die). When the creature's soul is devoured, the Soul Reaver gains a number of temporary hit points equal to the creature's Constitution score. The first two times the Soul Reaver consumes a soul he instead cures the Dexterity and Charisma damage, effectively leaving the Soul Reaver with a +2 to Strength and Constitution.
A creature whose soul has been consumed in such a manner cannot be brought back to life by nothing but a Wish or a Miracle spell. Anyone attempting to ressurect them recieves no indication that their soul has been consumed.
A Soul Reaver may use this ability to deal damage directly to an incorporeal creature, the damage done equal to the concentration check. If the creature is destroyed by this means, no remains are left behind, and the creature may never be brought back, unless by a Wish or Miracle spell, but even then there is only a 50% chance of it working.
Additionally, the Soul Reaver no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties they may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Unlike the Druid though, a Soul Reaver will not die when their time is up.
In return for this great gift, when a Soul Reaver dies, if they are not reborn with 1d4 days time, their soul is lost for eternity. Only a successful Wish or Miracle spell may revive them, and even then there is only a 50% chance of it working.

{table=head]
Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+0|+1|+1|+0|Symbiotic Weapon

2nd|+1|+2|+2|+0|Redeemer and Destroyer

3rd|+2|+2|+2|+1|Telekenetic Strike

4th|+3|+2|+2|+1|Pawn and Messiah

5th|+3|+3|+3|+1|Bound to the Spectral

6th|+4|+3|+3|+2|Time Spanned Soul

7th|+5|+4|+4|+2|Wraith Blade

8th|+6|+4|+4|+3|Free Will

9th|+6|+4|+4|+3|The Spectral Realm

10th|+7|+5|+5|+3|Wraith [/table]

As usual, critiques, suggestions.
Balance is a major concern of mine with this one.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-26, 12:08 PM
Just a quick question: Wouldn't this require Type: Undead? Or Vampire?

bosssmiley
2007-07-26, 12:13 PM
Hoo wow mate, that's a powerful PrC; maybe a little too so for some tastes. :smallconfused:

I like the flavour, and you've evoked the Soul Reaver's salient abilities well, but there are a couple of things my eyebrows reflexively raise at. I mean:

Escape = never die. That should perhaps be the capstone power, swapped with Wraith perhaps?
Time Spanned Soul = healed by slaughter, any slaughter. Never die in spades.
Symbiotic Weapon + Wraith Blade + Imbue = "cry moar plz" Soulknives everywhere, you are obsolete.

If you want to keep these (and, goodness knows, they belong) you might want to add a couple of negative traits/trade-offs to the PrC above and beyond what you already have. Perhaps by emphasizing in the write-up that this is an undead (healed by Neg energy, hurt by Pos), non-Good aligned PrC.

You might also want to make the entry requirements more stringent, perhaps with a couple more feat requirements (Diehard especially seems a shoe-in :smallbiggrin: ).

And definitely add some flavourful situational circumstances/plot-centric element to the "died and was reborn" entry requirement. Something in keeping with the whole "Legacy of Kain" mythos. Maybe the aspirant Soul Reaver has to be drained to 0 levels by energy-draining undead, or killed in an unhallowed area, or have his heart consumed by ghouls, or....

Don't get me wrong Jibar, I like this PrC, I like it a lot. I just think that with a little more polish, and perhaps a bit of rebalancing, it will be teh Jibarlicious awesum.

Quietus
2007-07-26, 12:58 PM
I'd like to point out, the fluff behind your +2 con/-2 cha actually suggests a con PENALTY. People looking withered and such generally doesn't make them actually become tougher.

Also, where you talk about how someone can dispel the symbiotic weapon, things are a little vague. You say that the effect can somehow be altered by a concentration check, but don't elaborate on whether that check negates the dispel magic entirely, or changes the duration of how long it remains dispelled. Also, rather than it being concentration vs caster level, it should probably be concentration vs caster level +10 - the way you have it, they can be four levels above you, and if you have max ranks in concentration you can't fail. If it's DC caster level +10, then you at least need a con bonus to never fail.

Jibar
2007-07-26, 01:01 PM
Okay then, some changes made.

1. Requirements. Now need 4 feats, a non-good alignment, and must be killed by a trusted ally, plus a little higher Base Attack Bonus

2. Symbiotic Blade will now only become a +3 blade at 10th level.

3. Escape replaced with Bound to the Spectral

4. Time Spanned Soul now can only be done once per ten rounds, and requires a full round action, plus provokes attacks of opportunity.

5. Wraith Blade no longer gets Keen.

6. Imbue replaced with The Spectral Realm

7. Wraith now has a downside.

8. Elucidated on the dispelling of Symbiotic Blade and upped the DC to 20.

9. Redeemer and Destroyer now adds +2 Wisdom instead of +2 Constitution.

I am very very wary of making this restricted to undead, because I still want PCs to take it without having to go through major issues.

Quietus
2007-07-26, 01:04 PM
I think they meant having the class give you the Undead type... or even the vague version of it, where you're "Treated as an undead for the purposes of spells or magic effects", like the monk's perfect body ability.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-26, 01:54 PM
I am very very wary of making this restricted to undead, because I still want PCs to take it without having to go through major issues.

I still feel that either you'd need to be undead to get the PrC or the PrC turns you into an Undead Type.

DracoDei
2007-07-26, 02:10 PM
((EDITED IN NOTE: It took me so long to type and get around to posting this that there were several responses and even an edit of the OP that I didn't know about when I posted this.))

Escape doesn't Raise/Resurrect the character itself, just means the that original corpse is not needed.

Time Spanned Soul, Wraith Blade and Wraith can be used on COCKROACHES. Seems a bit of an abuse potentially. A smart player could even go into combat with little cloth bags full of bugs on his belt... just grab and squish, theoretically even easier than drinking a potion and does as much HP repair as a Heal Spell, if not more. Also nothing EXACTLY says that the EDGE of the wraith-blade has to be used to kill something get the effects of the Wraith Blade extra healing ability (please tell me that DOESN'T stack with Time Spanned Soul...) the can slap their blade against their thigh crushing the bag inbetween. Might want to change these abilities to only work with creatures with INT 3 and higher. Either that or make the healing based on twice (three times?) HD instead of Constitution.

As for alignmment restrictions compare the hitpoint gaining to Vampiric Touch which isn't considered Evil (although it doesn't feed on the actual death of the victem) and Death Knell which is considered Evil (but that adds a caster level). On balance that says to me that non-good might make sense but a requirement for the character to be Evil. Wraith, on the other hand, sounds evil, both the soul eating (although as I said before, you can probably use it on INSECTS depending on how strictly the GM interprits "defeats". Which isn't quite as bad) and the immortality.

One interesting possibility is to replace the capstone ability with one that makes the end effects and targetability (how much of body is required) of Raise Dead on the person change to that of Resurrection (but still with the same casting time and material components etc), and similarly makes Resurrection work like True Resurrection... maybe even have True Resurrection not require the material component (if someone tries it with the component it is simply not consumed). Maybe even give them SR against things that affect the soul, such as Trap the Soul, Magic Jar, and MAYBE even level drain. Perhaps Barghests (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/barghest.htm) and Devourers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devourer.htm) find the Soul Reaver's soul indigestible.

Jibar
2007-07-27, 02:04 AM
Wraith I want to keep. No matter what not. This whole class is meant to work it's way up to this, because this is what the class is meant to be by then. The Consumer of Souls. It is a little powerful, but there's still room for changes.
It's not entirely evil though. While it could raise tons of questions on morality, a Soul Reaver could only use this power on evil opponents, or even use it as part of a Ghostbuster unit.
Escape did come across as a little overpowered, but it has now been replaced with Bound to the Spectral, which adds a downside to help balance the class out.
On the subject of cockroaches, what's the Constitution score on a cockroach? If they're vermin, and tiny vermin at that, and constitution is around average for a human, should cockroaches really have anything above a 3? Besides, flavourwise I can imagine a Soul Reaver turning desperate and slaughtering insects to heal himself.
I am considering changing Time Spanned Soul to make it their only source of healing, taking away natural healing and halfing the health from negative energy, but making it much more liberal. Say, standard action, still provokes attacks of opportunity.

Stay tuned probably later today when in another fit of boredom I post a new Vampire prestige class.

CyberWyld
2007-07-27, 04:05 AM
I was a huge fan of these games and have a suggestion if you care. :P If balance is the issue here. what about applying what happens to Raziel in the 1st game? Constant drain of his HP's and he must feed to sustain life? Every round in combat he takes "X" amount of dmg. Every day he takes X about of dmg. Only way to heal it is through his symbiotic weapon? Or somethiing along those lines. It would add nice flavor to the class as well. While a mega-badass...he's constantly dying and must sustain his existence. Thoughts?

hasta

DracoDei
2007-07-27, 11:53 AM
Check the monster manual... CON 10 is average no matter how small you get. Arguably Cockroaches would have HIGHER than that (anything that only dies when you cut off its head because it starves to death, and is as resilient to poisons and disease as that...)