PDA

View Full Version : Sea Elf Stats?

Anderlith
2017-03-18, 07:05 PM
I was curious if their were any sea elf stats for 5e?

Naanomi
2017-03-18, 07:46 PM
Nothing official, wouldn't be hard to cobble them together though. Elf subclass, some weapon proficiencies (trident and net?), swim speed and water breathing. Probably Constitution bonus?

Typhon
2017-03-18, 07:53 PM
I think they would be quite different. Being that darkvision is nearly worthless underwater, it would be replaced with sonar 240 underwater and 60 on land.

I am thinking keep the DEX but gain either CON or STR.

Could also spec out the Avian Elves too.

JumboWheat01
2017-03-18, 07:53 PM
Since they had a -2 to INT instead of to CON like most elves in 3.5, I'd agree wtih a +1 to Con as a good choice. Trident and Net would definitely be good weapons for them.

Auramis
2017-03-18, 09:07 PM
The SCAG actually has variant rules for half-elves that include half aquatic elves (you could take 30ft swim speed in place of skill versatility). They also have a bit of flavor text for sea elves under the section for elves as well that might offer a bit of help in homebrewing... oddly enough, they didn't just include sea elves. They added half-elf rules, sea elf lore, but no sea elf subtype for elves.

Anderlith
2017-03-18, 09:26 PM
So how about a swim speed instead of a cantrip or stealth
Con instead of Int or Wis
Trident & net & maybe a handful of other weapons for prof.
What else? I feel like there has to be some kind of restriction for being aquatic, & they should get something else special because of it

JumboWheat01
2017-03-18, 09:43 PM
Well they started to suffocate apparently if they spent more hours out of water than their CON modifer. That's a bit harsh for 5e, so probably something along the lines of disadvantage on attack rolls and some skill checks if they're in the presence of fire or high heat, kinda like sunlight sensitivity.

Arc-Royal
2017-03-18, 09:50 PM
As a thought, you might consider looking at the Tritons from VGtM as a starting point, or a source of potential inspiration for abilities.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Sea Elves, so I don't know where to even begin approaching them, but when you say "Sea Elf," it reminds me of the quote out of VGtM for Tritons that basically said "Imagine if elves lived underwater so they could become even more pretentious."

Grey Watcher
2017-03-18, 10:33 PM
As a thought, you might consider looking at the Tritons from VGtM as a starting point, or a source of potential inspiration for abilities.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Sea Elves, so I don't know where to even begin approaching them, but when you say "Sea Elf," it reminds me of the quote out of VGtM for Tritons that basically said "Imagine if elves lived underwater so they could become even more pretentious."

Well they started to suffocate apparently if they spent more hours out of water than their CON modifer. That's a bit harsh for 5e, so probably something along the lines of disadvantage on attack rolls and some skill checks if they're in the presence of fire or high heat, kinda like sunlight sensitivity.

Actually, this does raise a good point: are sea elves creatures that live entirely underwater or do they split their time (perhaps even trancing and stuff on land)? For the former, I'd just use the Triton stat-block and be done with it. But the latter, elves who live on the coasts and have developed the same kind of deep connection to the seas that wood elves have to the forest seems like a decent niche that hasn't been occupied just yet.

So going with the coastal variant, I'd suggest a swim speed, water breathing (either continuously or as a self-only, some-appropriate-number-of-times per short rest thing), the aforementioned freebie proficiency with nets and tridents and... I dunno, that seems like perhaps enough to me, just off the top of my head?

Oh, and I second CON as the secondary racial bonus.

Anderlith
2017-03-18, 11:22 PM
Im thinking more of the coastal/amphibious elves that can spend time in both.