PDA

View Full Version : Warmage and metamagic

Efrate
2017-03-18, 08:56 PM
All 1st party sources barring anything psionic allowed, dragon magazine on a case by case basis.

K so I am having an issue planning a build for a game I am in. I'm playing a rogue currently (lvl1) who is going warmage then spellwarp sniper then something, and I am looking at various metamagic. A few problems.

One is the full round casting time. This is bad an since warmage isn't greatly supported by WotC I don't have an easy way to cut it down, barring arcane preparation, which I may take, but feats are super tight.

Other is the amount of metamagic and the amount of reducers needed to make it efficient.

Specifically looking at born of three thunders, and split ray.

First issue: Does born of three thunders work with spellwarp sniper for 2 no save debuffs plus the damage? I think it does but I do not know for sure.

Additional issues, how do I qualify for stuff at any point where its relevant?

Born of three thunders requires some knowledge nature, energy substitution electricity, and another metamagic feat (to qualify for energy sub elec).

Split ray requires a metamagic feat as well.

Current human rogue with nymphs kiss and able learner since I am the skill class (party is ranger with bad int, 2 warblades, healer and me). So I need to maintain trapfinding duty at least, which eats up 2 skill points a level, 3 until I can afford a wand of knock so I can ignore open lock.

I figure I am going to have to give up on one of these, its too many feats and I cannot think of a lot of full casting PRCs that offer bonus metamagic at level 1, also without too many feat prerequisites.

I need PBS by 6, at least one metamagic, and then split ray at 9, and arcane preparation somehow. That is still level 12 but is at least maybe reasonable. I'd like to grab a bonus metamagic feat somewhere, but barring a weird magical location, or some fiat, I do not see an idea where.

I would also like to take either dragon bloodline to get mind blank and true seeing, or one of the other bloodlines to make up for some more spells. Rainbow servant is maybe an option, I'm CG right now but I can make a case for NG if needed, and if going by text its full casting, so I would take that to finish the build, unless I can somehow convince DM of legacy champion or something advancing spellwarp sniper to get higher level spells spellwarpable.

If I can find an otugyh hole I'd love to go incantrix, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

So I guess I need to know: is going metamagic worth it? and is there an easy access PRC dip for a bonus feat or so that doesn't cost me any more casting than I am already giving up by multiclassing and being a warmage? I can retrain able learner at some point, so that will help a bit, but otherwise I am kind of stumped on options.

schreier
2017-03-18, 10:31 PM
I think the rapid metamagic feat from complete mage is what you want?

Efrate
2017-03-18, 10:47 PM
Thanks! Thats level 9 and delays split ray, but saves me on arcane preparation, so I at least feel like I can do it. Is there any good prcs that don't cost caster levels with bonus metamagic that I can qualify for?