PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [Theoretical]Metamagick'd to the Cheese Factory

Xanyo
2017-03-18, 09:14 PM
Oi, flapeercraft. Don't read this. Moving on... Don't you even think of reading it flapeercraft. Yeah you. You heard me.

So, I'm in what has been dubbed the Gouda campaign. Everything short of infinite loops is legal. All official materials as well as official unupdated 3.0 materials and Dragon Magazine are allowed. The BBEG is immune to practically everything and is otherwise super powerful. I'm brainstorming ways to beat him. Right now I've got something that I'm thinking might work.

Maximized Empowered Twinned Words of Balance, and then a twinned Celerity to do it twice more, plus some contingents for even more(the BBEG has enormous stats).

I'm thinking to use Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell ability to get past SR. CL boosters should easily make it past his 21 HD. So this is a huge penalty to str, and it's a penalty, not damage or drain. There shouldn't be a way to prevent it. I'm pretty sure he's Chaotic Evil, so it should work. It will only last 8 rounds, but I can repeat the treatment.

I'm pretty confident it would work. Can you guys think of any way it wouldn't? Any other ways to beat this guy?

ben-zayb
2017-03-19, 06:37 AM
Twin or casting the spell multiple times really won't work as far as STR penalty goes, as that would effectively give separate effects that don't stack. Maximized Empowered 2d4 penalty to STR roughly averages to 15, which may be underwhelming for something of stated Optimization level.

Xanyo
2017-03-19, 11:58 AM
Stacking
In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

...dang it.
Wait! It says modifiers to a given roll or check do not stack! This is a modifier to an ability score! It still works!

ben-zayb
2017-03-19, 06:04 PM
You may be looking at the wrong section. Here's the relevant one:
Stacking Effects
Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves. More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above).

Anthrowhale
2017-03-19, 07:34 PM
If you can figure out the exact source of BBEGs immunities (knowledge checks? Commune? experiments? The "Know Vulnerabilities" spell?), that will go a long ways towards figuring out how to unlock them.

Xanyo
2017-03-19, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately, his immunities include divinations. The best thing I've found is to assume that if anything is immune to it, he's immune to it.

As for stacking the penalties, the rules aren't 100% clear on this, and the DM has approved similar combos(e.g. Twinned Split Rays of Entropy), so we'll assume they stack.

Anthrowhale
2017-03-19, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, his immunities include divinations.

Try Metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm) which explicitly breaks such immunities. Also try super-pumped knowledge checks which is not a divination.

Xanyo
2017-03-19, 11:20 PM
Try Metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm) which explicitly breaks such immunities. Also try super-pumped knowledge checks which is not a divination.

Metafaculty would be awesome, but I'm sure his CL is in the stratosphere, making it nigh impossible to beat the DC. As for pumping Knowledge checks, I suppose I could grab some skill boosting spells(cuz I'm a spellhoarding kobold who can cast anything he can counterspell).