PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Troubles with character idea.

RingofThorns
2017-03-18, 11:30 PM
So I might have found myself a group to play some 5th edition with but I am stuck as to what class to make. After sitting around thinking about it [i.e. sitting around playing video games.] I decided to make a character kind of loosely based off of Link.

Yeah yeah I know even as I am typing this I can hear everyone getting ready to call me out for being a fan boy, but to be fair playing the first Legend of Zelda game as a kid is what made me interested in DnD when I heard of it later on because then I could literally play as Link.

So anyway I am figuring on playing as a wood elf fighter, possibly ranger and going with the kind of standard set up of having lots of various weapons and tools however the one big change I am wanting to make is that I don't want to run a strictly base set of Sword and shield.

I have always had this idea for a character that would use...basically a really big boomerrang as his main weapon [hieght wise, if you stood it on one point the other would be about waist high.] They could use it in up close combat like a bashing weapon and when range is needed could throw it as well and rely on the shield to keep them safe until it came back.

The only real trouble I am getting into with this is that the DM said he wasn't aware of any weapons like that, the up shot is they are letting me do a little homebrew with it so long as it isn't to broken at finish.

So I now find myself here asking for the help of the people of the playground to stat out this boomerrang weapon. The only thing I have so far that the DM has okayed is that it will return to my hand after being thrown.

Anderlith
2017-03-19, 12:03 AM
Take the club or staff. Add thrown quality. Done

MrMcBobb
2017-03-20, 08:42 AM
In my group we tend to ignore the names of weapons and just use the stat blocks if we don't like the flavour of them. I have a dex-swashbuckler that uses a boarding axe as his offhand weapon and it just has the same stats as a shortsword but in-game it's an axe.

Just add the thrown property to a weapon of choice and you should be fine or change the damage type of Handaxe to Blunt (or keep it as slashing, maybe you use a sharp boomerang, I ain't gonna judge) and just say it's a boomerang. Donezo.

Klassik
2017-03-20, 09:21 AM
I have always had this idea for a character that would use...basically a really big boomerrang as his main weapon [hieght wise, if you stood it on one point the other would be about waist high.] They could use it in up close combat like a bashing weapon and when range is needed could throw it as well and rely on the shield to keep them safe until it came back.

Perhaps your DM would consider allowing you to have a magic weapon with say the stats of a throwing dagger that you could "summon" or have appear back to you after a determined amount of time? Perhaps similar to Thor's hammer, but custom to your character?

I think you have a great Idea... run with it.

I also have a great deal of issues when trying to create new characters. I like being unique but sometimes its tough to actually do.

RingofThorns
2017-03-21, 06:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement thus far, this is going alot better then the last time I pitched a character idea lol. The group was torn between trying to laugh me to death or just being so amazingly triggered they wanted me to burn at the stake lol.

Anyway the idea of just using the stats to something like a club or a staff and just adding thrown never occured to me until now and I feel...so dumb for not thinking of that. Now I wanted to address a couple of things that have been mentioned so far, for the how the weapon would return to me basically it sounds like the DM is going with something along the lines of how Captain America throws his shield and it just bounces back to him [atleast that is what it sounded like.]

For the one that brought up a bladed boomerang I thought that sounded really awesome, and like five seconds after I read that I was playing breath of the wild and came across the giant boomerang. The thin is as tall as Link and is bladed, so much awesome.

GorogIrongut
2017-03-21, 06:28 AM
Just remember that this isn't a magical returning boomerang, so there needs to be the possibility of a fail. This will also contribute to your homebrew boomerang not being overpowered.

I personally would keep it simple... Use the club stats. Keep the range within 60'. Anything thrown farther won't return. And if you roll a 1 on your thrown attack dice, you did something wrong. The boomerang goes skittering off and lands somewhere within 15' of your intended target. It obviously doesn't return to you and you are now left with a shield and no weapon until you retrieve it.

Specter
2017-03-21, 07:10 AM
Even with a thrown weapon, you would still need the Dual Wielder feat if you were planning on attacking more than once, 'cause each of the boomerangs would cost an object interaction to be drawn. I think this would be a needless feat tax for such a concept, but suit yourself.

DanyBallon
2017-03-21, 07:26 AM
As for the returning part; you could look to multiclass to get a feature similar to Weapon Bond from the Eldritch Knight or you could ask for your DM to create a feat that will emulate this feature, so you can take it at 4th level. By spending an ASI to get the feature it shouldn't be considered OP.

Strill
2017-03-21, 07:51 AM
Even with a thrown weapon, you would still need the Dual Wielder feat if you were planning on attacking more than once, 'cause each of the boomerangs would cost an object interaction to be drawn. I think this would be a needless feat tax for such a concept, but suit yourself.

Or alternatively, OP could simply not inform the DM about that dumb rule, and not have to take the useless Dual Wielder feat just to make his thrown weapon concept work.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-21, 07:51 AM
I know this is a fantasy game but using a boomerang as a weapon it shouldn't come back if you hit with it.

Strill
2017-03-21, 07:57 AM
As for the returning part; you could look to multiclass to get a feature similar to Weapon Bond from the Eldritch Knight or you could ask for your DM to create a feat that will emulate this feature, so you can take it at 4th level. By spending an ASI to get the feature it shouldn't be considered OP.

C'mon man. Don't suggest dumb underpowered feats like that. You know what would accomplish the exact same thing as what you're proposing? Using some javelins instead of a giant boomerang. No need to worry about collecting them. Just grab another and keep attacking.

All OP wants is an aesthetic change. Suggesting that he pay a feat just to look cool is flat-out insulting.

Hudsonian
2017-03-21, 08:14 AM
I feel like the "return" feature would be great for early levels, but I think you could also come up with a few other boomerangs that the DM might include as loot as you level, these would be able to emulate other boomerangs that Link has had through the years.

Low level examples:
Bluemerang - This is the upgraded version from link to the past. It went through one enemy and hit any 1 thing behind it. - Make an attack role on the target. Any target within a 30ft line must make a dexterity saving throw or take equal to half the damage taken by the target. DC = 10+atk bonus

phantasmerang - Technically this is the full health effect of the mastersword in early games, but any time you swung the sword a phantasm flew ahead. - This would mostly be flavor, but would remove any chance of failing to return and would be counted as magical.

Stunerang - the early boomerangs mostly just stunned enemies and did no damage. - No attack role, the target makes a dex save or is stunned for one round.

Midlevel examples:
BOOMerang - This one is just me, but come on... fireball on a stick? Once per Long Rest? PLEEEEAAASE?

Bluemerang MKII - This is a logical progression of the first but the technical limitations of the game probably couldn't handle non-linear travel. - Link may choose targets equal to the number of his attacks +1 (aka BA attack) The Bluemerang will follow a direct line between each target and then return, if any of lines are blocked or if the bluemerang misses due to 1/2 or 3/4 cover it falls to the ground. NOTE: cover is from the consideration of the bluemerangs last target (so it can chain around pillars etc.).

Mage boomerang - it is a staple for link to be able to retrieve items via boomerang - mage hand on a stick

Gale Boomerang - before you learn the multi target - 1d8+1 Bludgeoning. Target make str save (DC 10+atk bonus) or has disadvantage on next attack.

High Level:
Twisterang - logical progression? - 1d8+2 Bludgeoning. The Gale boomerang picks up any small objects in it's path and bludgeons it's target with it, deals 1d4 per object picked up. This boomerang also multitargets as per bluemerang mkII. After the last target, roll a d20, if the result is more than 10 Link also takes damage equal to 1/2 the object damage rounded up.

NOTE: all of the boomerangs are 1d6 Bludgeoning damage unless otherwise stated. All require atunement.

DanyBallon
2017-03-21, 08:14 AM
C'mon man. Don't suggest dumb underpowered feats like that. You know what would accomplish the exact same thing as what you're proposing? Using some javelins instead of a giant boomerang. No need to worry about collecting them. Just grab another and keep attacking.

All OP wants is an aesthetic change. Suggesting that he pay a feat just to look cool is flat-out insulting.

The only thing close to a returning weapon is using a archetype feature. Feats are the best way to replicate a class feature. And taking a feat is less taxing than taking 3 level in an other class you might not need.

GorogIrongut idea of a returning property with a fail chance and that won't return on a hit is good as well.

The feat allow for the weapon to return everytime as the cost of a bonus action and can be used for every weapons.

Strill
2017-03-21, 08:41 AM
The only thing close to a returning weapon is using a archetype feature. Feats are the best way to replicate a class feature. And taking a feat is less taxing than taking 3 level in an other class you might not need.

GorogIrongut idea of a returning property with a fail chance and that won't return on a hit is good as well.

The feat allow for the weapon to return everytime as the cost of a bonus action and can be used for every weapons.

And the benefit of a returning weapon is minimal compared to just bringing along some ammo. It's a trivial aesthetic concern, and has no effect on game balance, which is why it shouldn't have a game-balance-based solution.

Just because Eldritch Knights get a ribbon as a class feature doesn't mean ribbons should suddenly cost feats.

Hudsonian
2017-03-21, 08:55 AM
Having not played breath of the wild I didn't realize there was a giant boomerang with blades.

1d6 slashing + 1d6 Bludg., 2 handed, crit on 19-20, fails to return on 1-4. This boomerang has a minimum range of 10ft, a regular range of 30ft, and a maximum range of 120ft.

DanyBallon
2017-03-21, 09:02 AM
And the benefit of a returning weapon is minimal compared to just bringing along some ammo. It's a trivial aesthetic concern, and has no effect on game balance, which is why it shouldn't have a game-balance-based solution.

Just because Eldritch Knights get a ribbon as a class feature doesn't mean ribbons should suddenly cost feats.

As I'm currently playing a EK, I can tell you that it's more than a ribbon, being caught weapon less is a thing of the past. It's also great for creating cinematic type of combat. You may feel it's worthless, but it isn't and is definitely worth a feat. Maybe the feat could need some tweaking. But that's up to OP and it's DM to decide.

And a returning weapon is more than just aesthetic. You need to pick up thrown weapons, and you can run out of ammunition, while you'll always have your weapon back in hand unless you design the returning mechanic as described by GorogIrongut

Strill
2017-03-21, 09:08 AM
As I'm currently playing a EK, I can tell you that it's more than a ribbon, being caught weapon less is a thing of the past.And OP isn't asking for the ability to magically teleport his boomerang through time and space so he can smuggle weapons into the throne room. He just wants it to return to his hand when he throws it, mimicing the practical effect of carrying a handful of javelins or hand axes.

And a returning weapon is more than just aesthetic. You need to pick up thrown weapons, and you can run out of ammunition, while you'll always have your weapon back in hand unless you design the returning mechanic as described by GorogIrongutOr, instead of running out of ammunition, you can bring more ammunition. Honestly, with a weight limit of strength x 15, the logistics are trivial.

DanyBallon
2017-03-21, 09:32 AM
And OP isn't asking for the ability to magically teleport his boomerang through time and space so he can smuggle weapons into the throne room. He just wants it to return to his hand when he throws it, mimicing the practical effect of carrying a handful of javelins or hand axes.

Or, instead of running out of ammunition, you can bring more ammunition. Honestly, with a weight limit of strength x 15, the logistics are trivial.

I offer OP an idea, it's up to him to take it or not. Still Weapon Bond is worth a feat none the less. Is it balance as is, or does it need a ability score bonus, or some other features is up to the DM and may vary from table to table

RingofThorns
2017-03-21, 01:41 PM
Wow this got alot more interest since the last time I checked lol. Anyway back to address some posts and tell people how things are going.

For the topic of it returning to my hand and weather that should cost a feat or not, the DM has been kind enough to rule that since my character backstory and concept is built around the use of the weapon from a relativly young age I have enough experience and training with the weapon to ensure that when thrown unless I fumble or some outside force acts on it the boomerang returns to my hand.
[In game turns>throw weapon on turn 1>Turn 2 it is returning.>Turn 3 I have it in hand again.]

I know I could have easily just taken a boat load of throwing axes or something else, but come on man. I based the character off of Link and I have abit of a sentimental spot boomerangs so I am going to use that as my weapon, plus that is what Link used.

I do like the idea of a fail mechanic built into the throw and will show the DM that to see if he likes it better then his current way of doing it.

Fun note the group got together to play a kind of test mission with our characters, my guy showed up really well and came in really handy [we were fighting what was basically zombies, the DM had just kind of refluffed.]

RingofThorns
2017-03-21, 01:50 PM
I know this is a fantasy game but using a boomerang as a weapon it shouldn't come back if you hit with it.

I have never understood that logic, I mean I have been playing for a while. I started in 3.5 played a ton of that, then played a little of 4th, before just now trying to make the shift to 5th.

I have seen weapons that aren't magical, heck they aren't even hard to find in game. These weapons all have thise one little bit of text that says 'this weapon will return to the throwers hand' and yet they make no sense at all for as to how. I mean I recall one being a type of thrown blade that did piercing...piercing damage so it literally stabbed into the target and then some how flew back to your hand.

No one ever has a problem with that but for some reason everyone always seem to have this wierd hang up that boomerangs should never return to your hand. Yet in every fantasy book,video game, anime, cartoon, where they are featured the boomerang always returns or atleast attempts to return to the hand of the thrower. Only in DnD with all this other crazy magic do I ever run into people that have this hang up that it can't....it has never made sense to me why people get so hung up on that, when you are playing in a world where people can turn others into sheep,raise the dead, weapons can be sentient and all other manner of craziness.

Biggstick
2017-03-21, 02:58 PM
Wow this got alot more interest since the last time I checked lol. Anyway back to address some posts and tell people how things are going.

For the topic of it returning to my hand and weather that should cost a feat or not, the DM has been kind enough to rule that since my character backstory and concept is built around the use of the weapon from a relativly young age I have enough experience and training with the weapon to ensure that when thrown unless I fumble or some outside force acts on it the boomerang returns to my hand.
[In game turns>throw weapon on turn 1>Turn 2 it is returning.>Turn 3 I have it in hand again.]

I know I could have easily just taken a boat load of throwing axes or something else, but come on man. I based the character off of Link and I have abit of a sentimental spot boomerangs so I am going to use that as my weapon, plus that is what Link used.

I do like the idea of a fail mechanic built into the throw and will show the DM that to see if he likes it better then his current way of doing it.

Fun note the group got together to play a kind of test mission with our characters, my guy showed up really well and came in really handy [we were fighting what was basically zombies, the DM had just kind of refluffed.]

Pretty sure Link isn't known for using his Boomerang but for using the Master Sword. That's just me though.

As for answering your question/request, it sounds like the DM has already worked it out with you. My suggestion would have been to ask the DM for a weapon that has the flavor text of a Dwarven Thrower from the DMG (pg. 167). Remove the +3 to damage and attack rolls, the bonus damage to giants, and if magic weapons are a big deal, remove the "counts as a magic weapon" clause of said weapon. Other then that, keep it as is and you have pretty much what you're looking for.

As a note, I'm not sure what a Boomerang's range would be. I think the given ranges of 20' for standard ranged attack rolls and anything beyond 20' and up to 60' are made at disadvantage sound about right though.

CaptainSarathai
2017-03-21, 04:49 PM

You're hurting yourself, with that long return.
People are gonna scream/cringe when I say this but:
Does your DM actually have you track ammo?
For example, at one table where I'm playing, we do not track ammo. The idea is that carry weight is 15x your Str Score, in Lbs. My L1 character could lug around 240lbs of gear without issue. Arrows are stupid cheap (10 for 1gp, iirc) and virtually weightless - I could just buy 80lbs of arrows and be done with it. The rules don't ask me to explain how I'm carrying several bundles of arrows in some kind of accessible fashion, but whatever. I can sling 240lbs of gear off myself, apparently, so 1/3 of that weight is arrows. I had enough to buy more before I ran out. It was dumb.
Now, yes, thrown weapons weigh more. However, they rarely do more damage, and so we don't normally track them either, or else nobody would use them. They are inferior in just about every way, either in melee or at range, and their only advantage is being able to swap between the two modes once (once you throw it, you can't slap someone with it - because it's 10 yards away now)

So if you're not tracking ammo, then just let the boomerang hit like a thrown weapon and "come back" (aka, you have an infinite number of non-returning boomerangs)

RingofThorns
2017-03-21, 06:41 PM
I can see what you are saying about the return time, but I actually enjoy it because that turn when it is away from my hand gives me time to do other things.

For example in our little test mission thing we just ran I was doing really well because I could throw the weapon and with my build normally do enough damage to hurt or even sometimes drop weaker opponents [my crits were on fire that night.]

The turns it was out of my hand I just tumbled around the battlefield to get a position to toss an alchemist fire into groups of enemies, or once even shield check one of the monsters away from out spell caster that was getting cornered.

JellyPooga
2017-03-22, 02:09 AM
I have never understood that logic, I mean I have been playing for a while. I started in 3.5 played a ton of that, then played a little of 4th, before just now trying to make the shift to 5th.

I have seen weapons that aren't magical, heck they aren't even hard to find in game. These weapons all have thise one little bit of text that says 'this weapon will return to the throwers hand' and yet they make no sense at all for as to how. I mean I recall one being a type of thrown blade that did piercing...piercing damage so it literally stabbed into the target and then some how flew back to your hand.

No one ever has a problem with that but for some reason everyone always seem to have this wierd hang up that boomerangs should never return to your hand. Yet in every fantasy book,video game, anime, cartoon, where they are featured the boomerang always returns or atleast attempts to return to the hand of the thrower. Only in DnD with all this other crazy magic do I ever run into people that have this hang up that it can't....it has never made sense to me why people get so hung up on that, when you are playing in a world where people can turn others into sheep,raise the dead, weapons can be sentient and all other manner of craziness.

It's because a returning boomerang, in real life, isn't a weapon by any stretch of the imagination. Hunting boomerangs exist and are basically fancy clubs designed for taking out small animals. The weaponised boomerang (i.e. one that is in any way useful against larger animals or another person) is largely a myth (boomerangs are slow and their flight path predictable, making them unsuitable as weapons and if they're large enough to take out large animals, they're too unwieldy).

In a game where magic exists, the mundane must remain mundane. So if you want a magical returning boomerang that's all well and dandy, but if you want a non-magical boomerang...well, you need to ground that thing in some kind of reality. Physics don't stop working just because magic exists (well, ok, so it does, sort of...you get what I mean!).

That's why people get uppity about it (not saying I necessarilt agree).

RingofThorns
2017-03-22, 05:30 AM
Yeah but that is my point all the weapons I was talking about aren't magical in the least, most of them just say they were crafted in such a way the enables it to do so.

I mean yeah I can see what you mean about wanting mundane things to stay mundane but I really like to try and avoid imposing alot of real world rules into a game world like DnD and others. But like I was saying I just never understood the hang up when it comes to that one mundane weapon when there are so many others that are mundane and do much the same thing.

JellyPooga
2017-03-22, 05:40 AM
Yeah but that is my point all the weapons I was talking about aren't magical in the least, most of them just say they were crafted in such a way the enables it to do so.

I mean yeah I can see what you mean about wanting mundane things to stay mundane but I really like to try and avoid imposing alot of real world rules into a game world like DnD and others. But like I was saying I just never understood the hang up when it comes to that one mundane weapon when there are so many others that are mundane and do much the same thing.

You'll find the same people complaining about those other fictional weapons too, to be fair. Spiked Chains from the 3ed era were a popular one to complain about, as were oversized weapons. *Shrug* People like different levels of fantasy, from gritty realism to cartoonish OTT. Returning weaponised boomerangs that are non-magical is closer to the latter than the former and some people don't like to let the "rule of cool" get in the way of their suspension of disbelief.