PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rolling DC saves and crit failing?

Lost_Nomad
2017-03-19, 02:39 AM
I mainly play a fighter but today I was playing as a Wizard

I used Poison Spray which required them to make a DC Con saving throw and they succeeded, though it never occurred I was curious...

if they critical fail a DC Save would that be the same as a normal attack being a critical success (Double the Damage)?

djreynolds
2017-03-19, 02:41 AM
I mainly play a fighter but today I was playing as a Wizard

I used Poison Spray which required them to make a DC Con saving throw and they succeeded, though it never occurred I was curious...

if they critical fail a DC Save would that be the same as a normal attack being a critical success (Double the Damage)?

It would be cool.... but no

But our table does stuff like this for attack rolls of 1, you might hit a fellow teammate or drop your sword

Arial Black
2017-03-19, 09:04 AM
There are no crit fails in 5E.

Further, a nat 1 is not an auto fail for a saving throw or an ability check, only for attack rolls.

Just like a nat 20 is not an auto success for a saving throw or an ability check, just for attack rolls.

Millstone85
2017-03-19, 09:16 AM
But our table does stuff like this for attack rolls of 1, you might hit a fellow teammate or drop your swordOur table does friendly fire fumbles too.

Only the DM gets any fun from it.

Arial Black
2017-03-19, 09:46 AM
Our table does friendly fire fumbles too.

Only the DM gets any fun from it.

Yep. It's a DM way to have 'fun', where 'fun'='your PC's head falls off. LOL'

Oh, and home-made fumble tables (BTW they are ALL home made because there is no such rule)!

In theory, even if you like the idea of rolling a nat 1 to be bad like rolling a nat 20 is good, then they should be roughly equal but opposite. If a nat 20 means that you get to roll an extra d6 for an extra 3.5 damage, how is 'you kill your best mate' equivalent?

Player: I attack the orc with my sword. *rolls* Damn! nat 1.
DM: Cool, I'll roll on my new fumble tables that it took me ages to create, I love them, and I'm sure you will too!
Player: *facepalms*
DM: *rolls* ...you...*rolls*.....break up with your girlfriend....?

AttilatheYeon
2017-03-19, 03:30 PM
Yeah i've played in groups that use crit fumbles. They get annoying almost right away and i've seen players walk from groups because of them.

Lance Tankmen
2017-03-19, 10:45 PM
Eh critical fumbles aren't everyone's cup of tea. As long as there's no kill yourself with a sword or hit an ally with a melee attack I dont mind crit fumbles.