PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I'd like some suggestions for my new character, a wizard CL 8

Tamorlin
2017-03-19, 03:06 AM
Hey guys. How are you doing?

I'd like some suggestions for my new character, a wizard CL 8. She is a elven generalist (gray) elf and a domain mage (conjuration) with a hummingbird familiar. She also picked spontaneous divination from complete champion as ACF.

Not sure what to do with my feats, magic items, or which prestige class to take. I'd like to focus on versatility, trying to have the correct tool for the situation (perhaps a runestaff? fey heritage to have some SLA?). Oh, and I know that the campaign will be undead heavy. Is Scalation Mage any good (Incantatrix / IotSV are out)?

Any help is appreciated.

Inevitability
2017-03-19, 03:16 AM
I suggest adding either dragonborn or necropolitian to your character. Either will patch up your constitution while letting you keep the elf subtype.

With regards to PrC's, Archmage is always good, and Escalation Mage can help you enter it with its second-level feature.

Calthropstu
2017-03-19, 04:09 AM
As a conjurer, summons will be your bread and butter. Casting it as a standard action will make things much simpler for you.

Tamorlin
2017-03-19, 04:14 AM
I'm a battlefield control conjurer (domain wizard, actually), not a dedicated summoner.

Mystral
2017-03-19, 06:53 AM
I'm a battlefield control conjurer (domain wizard, actually), not a dedicated summoner.

You might wish to get sculpt spell, then. It gives you a huge amount of flexibility with your battlefield controll spells. Might also be good in a rod.

Summon Elemental may be good, too. You don't have to be a dedicated summoner, but still get a lot of the flexibility of summons, like trap detection or scouting or flanking.

Alacritous cogitation greatly increases your flexibility. Also, remember to leave some slots open for utility you might need, especially for the diviniations.

Depending on your choice of god, Arcane Disciple might be good, too.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-19, 07:45 AM
If you don't know what other feats to take you can always improve your save DCs. Similarly you can't really go wrong with Improved Initiative.
Spell Mastery & Uncanny Forethought (EoE) is something every wizard should get if he can.
If you have time to use it Craft Wondrous Item is also very useful.
BFC casters also profit greatly from Sculpt Spell, but you can also get a rod of that one.

Improved/Celestial/Dragon Familar is another good pick.
Coure Eladrin are fantastic, as is the Imp. The Beguiler gets permanent True Seeing, which can also be useful. Pseudodragons get telepathy, so they qualify for Mindsight.
Dragon Familiars will take a few more levels to really become useful, but they're notable for the fact that most of them can use cleric wands without UMD checks. In addition to sorcerer wands and their other abilities which are also pretty good.

For PrCs i'd suggest the War Weaver. You can pre-cast buff spells and release them as a move action when a fight starts, so you can still use your standard for BFC. It also easily makes up for the lack of free persist.

For items i suggest a Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (MIC). Even if you're not a summoner. Having the various SLAs available spontaneously and as a standard action is worth it for every wizard imo.
Then there's the Ring of Spell-Battle (MIC) which every caster should get. Not only does it warn you when someone casts in your vicinity even if you don't know they're there, it also lets you re-target an enemy spell 1/day - great for those spells you absolutely don't want to get hit by.

Other useful wizard items include the standard Handy Haversack, Blessed Book & +Int item, a Rod of Extend Spell, Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (CArc), Bracers of Armor/0% ASF armor/buckler +1 with Soulfire (BoED), Pearls of Power, a gauntlet or quarterstaff with Warning, Defending and/or Spellstrike, a Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (MIC), a Ring of Enduring Arcana (CArc), a Ring of Diamond Mind (ToB) for the fort save maneuver and of course some (eternal) wands and scrolls of useful spells that don't need high CL or DCs.

Since you've picked up Spontaneous Divination there's also no reason not to start with a scroll of every divination spell you can cast (and possibly 5th level ones as well) already scribed in your Blessed Book if you can afford it unless you're absolutely sure it will never come up.
If your DM lets you get away with "i copied it from another wizard in my backstory" and only pay the copy costs it's even better, so you should definitely ask about that. If he says yes it's a good idea fill up your spellbook because doing it ingame will probably be more expensive and also take a lot of time.

Uncle Pine
2017-03-19, 08:48 AM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Reserves of Strength and Uncanny Forethought are all decent versatile feats that can improve a Wizard build. There's also a feat in Libris Mortis that makes so undeads don't see you as an enemy, so that could be also useful in a campaign with lots of undeads (AFB so I can't check its name, sorry). Becoming undead doesn't hurt either, especially if you picked Faerie Mysteries Initiate, so look into necropolitans if you're interested.

Inevitability
2017-03-19, 09:53 AM
There's also a feat in Libris Mortis that makes so undeads don't see you as an enemy, so that could be also useful in a campaign with lots of undeads (AFB so I can't check its name, sorry).

The Lichloved feat may be what you're referring to. It's from the BoVD (and more recently Elder Evils) rather than LM, though.

Rerednaw
2017-03-19, 03:37 PM
Need more details on the campaign setting. Also how much cheese?

If you are going to have (like the game I play in) no opportunity for rests in between 11 encounters over the course of 4 days (at level 1 BTW)...a reserve feat or two may be in order.

Otherwise buffing up summons (ACF drop familiar, gain standard action summoning, Augment Summoning) are almost must-haves. Especially if you are a controller, adding another pet/action to the mix saves your party members from being hit, sets up flanking, creates chokepoints, etc.

+1 for Sculpt Spell, perhaps with Metamagic School Focus to drop the level adjustment.

Heighten Spell to make your still amazing but showing it's age conjurations like Glitterdust into viable high-DC spells for your entire career.

Strongly recommend looking at the Reserve Feat Elemental Summons (you'll have to wait for 9th). Have a recyclable pet at-will is amazing. Earth for glide scouting or semi-tanking flanking. Air for aerial recon, etc...just be sure to spend a few points in the elemental languages.

Item-wise the usual: +Int headband, Pearls of Power, Blessed Book, a few lesser metamagic rods (to supplement or replace some of the feat suggestions above). Light cheese: If your campaign is treasure poor, maybe Create Wondrous to start with items at half cost (or less if you go with the additional 30% reduction for class/race restrictions-major cheese) then retrain out of it (real cheese). Custom items at CL/SL 1 command-word, class only will run you 700 gp each, if there's a few spells you find you need all day.

YMMV and good luck whatever you decide.