PDA

View Full Version : 5e Ranger/Fighter

TheYoloPhoenix
2017-03-19, 06:18 AM
So I was planning on multiclassing my Human Ranger with Fighter once I hit Lv.3.

I need some opinions and my stats are:

Str: 15
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

MrStabby
2017-03-19, 06:58 AM
So It may depend on your level expectations and exactly what you want to get from fighter... but I wouldn't do it. Or not yet.

Ranger levels 4 and 5 give you the same as fighter 4 and 5 other than ranger gets you 2nd level spells so it is better to take these levels in ranger unless you want high level fighter abilities. You may want just one or the other as extra attack doesn't stack.

Extra attack is so awesome that you want that as soon as possible. You will feel you are falling behind others if you don't pick this up around level 5.

I would also not think that you would want more than 4 levels of fighter unless there are a lot of particular feats you want and you are craving the extra ASIs. Fighter is quite front-loaded.

I would go for level 5 ranger, level 4 fighter (probably battlemaster) then either pick cleric for more spell slots or rogue for expertise, sneak attack damage and cunning action.

Specter
2017-03-19, 10:38 AM
Technically you can't, because your Wisdom is 12 and not 13. But if your DM lets you or you pump your Wisdom at level 4, then you're good to go.

Anyway... If you're going to do this, do it after level 5, because Extra Attack can't wait. This is what you get from 4 fighter levels (no more than that, or you'll get a dead level):

- Fighting Style: grab Defense if you want a higher AC, or Archery/Dueling/TWF to be more versatile.
- Second Wind: this is effectively +7HP per short rest. Not to be underestimated.
- Action Surge: anyone can benefit from two turns in a row. You can cast a spell and attack, or attack four times.
- Archetype: to give better advice on this you need to give me more info on your build. Champion is good if you throw many dice on your attacks (like Hunter's Mark + greatsword), Battlemaster is good for tactical coordination with your buddies, and Eldritch Knight gives you Shield, Find Familiar and cantrips.

Beware, though: you'll be delaying all your ranger abilities, like Hunter's Defense and 3rd-level spells.

Deleted
2017-03-19, 11:07 AM
So I was planning on multiclassing my Human Ranger with Fighter once I hit Lv.3.

Why are you multiclassing?

Why not Ancients Paladin (which is essentially a Ranger/Fighter MC). Yes Dex paladins are a beast.

Why is your cha higher than your Wis?

Why are you MC @ 3? Seems a bit weird to jump out of Ranger right before it gets gud.

StoicLeaf
2017-03-19, 12:16 PM
Decide whether you want to be more fighter (more and better BM dice) or more ranger (questionable class perks, UA ranger slightly better but not official yet).
Then decide how long you can live without the extra attack.

If you want it asap, stay ranger 1, then go fighter to 5, then get ranger to 3 for hunter's mark and collossus slayer/hordebreaker. Then probably fighter 11 for another attack, but this depends on how long your DM plans to run the adventure for.

Waazraath
2017-03-19, 04:26 PM
I agree with most of what is replied already.

What is not really clear to me: did the campaign already start, and you already have 1 or 2 levels of ranger? In that case, from an optimization point of view, I'd continue up to five, after that you can add 3 or 4 levels of fighter and after that cleric; seems like a logical build to me. Only two high stats needed str or dex, and wis.

If you haven't started playing yet, you can consider taking 1 level of fighter first. Yes, you still delay extra attack, but proficiency in con saves and (for a str build) heavy armor proficiency might be worth it. Especially if you go for a heavy weapon build: grab fighter 1, fighting style great weapon fighting, heavy armor proficiency, use a greatsword of maul; switch to ranger: get the extra skill at level 2, and spell casting, hunter's mark, and fighting style: defense at 3, and at level four you can take ranger 3: hunter subclass, and pick horde breaker. With hunter's mark, you'll occasionally get 2 attacks/turn, for 3d6 + str damage

Ancients paladin is also very solid, great class and similair flavor.

coredump
2017-03-19, 04:39 PM

It depends on what you want to do after level 8. IOW, are you planning on getting more than 5 levels in fighter?

If you are planning on 5 or fewer levels in fighter, I would stick with Ranger until 5, then grab 3 or 4 levels in fighter. Then do whatever.
If you are planning on 6 or more levels in fighter (especially if several more), then I would stick with your plan, stop at Ranger 3, then start grabbing fighter levels. You may want to eventually grab ranger 4 for the ASI, but maybe not.
Yes, you will want Extra Attack, but your collosus slayer, or horde breaker will make up for that to a decent extent. (I could even see going ranger 4 right away for the ASI, then heading to fighter.... it delays Extra Attack even more, but the ASI/Feat will supply some of the extra damage you are missing.)

Calibus
2017-03-19, 05:06 PM
Ranger till 8 and then fighter for 3 levels is really effective and then take levels in pretty much in paladin or warlock levels.

Paladin offers smite and some extra spell slots and pairs pretty well with champion fighters crit range. This route also gives a total of 3 fighting styles that just make things more interesting.

Warlock offers a superior version of hunters mark; hex. It also has spells on a short rest recovery and the evocation can be very beneficial.

Boost wisdom to 13 though. Ranger needs 13 wis