PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Any DMs Killed a PC from too long a day?

MrStabby
2017-03-19, 07:02 AM
There are always threads about the length of an adventuring day but there seem to have been a few more than usual over the last few weeks. This got me thinking.

Has anyone lost a character or a DM killed a character due to a relatively easy encounter - say medium or easier, simply due to lack of resources (so ignoring environmental factors etc.) as the party was too low on resources?

Altair_the_Vexed
2017-03-19, 07:14 AM
I thought you meant "too long a day" as in "I'm tired from running this game all day, so I'm going to TPK you and go to bed". :smalleek:

Cause I know of a real case where that happened - back in the days when D&D was new to almost everyone (the late 1970s), my mate's family were playing, with Dad as DM. They played from 1st level, all day, and into the night. I believe they reached about 6th level or so. I'm told that they hadn't figured out how to stop playing. Previous games had eneded when all the party were dead, and they decided who had "won" based on how much XP they'd got. Like I said - no-one was around to tell them how to play.

Finally, about 4 am, Dad says "Sod it, I'm knackered - you're all dead. I'm off to sleep."

Questioned about it the following day - "How did we die?!" - he said "I dunno, and earthquake, or something?"

This may be the earliest instance of "Rocks fall, everyone dies."
:smallbiggrin:

Deleted
2017-03-19, 11:17 AM
There are always threads about the length of an adventuring day but there seem to have been a few more than usual over the last few weeks. This got me thinking.

Has anyone lost a character or a DM killed a character due to a relatively easy encounter - say medium or easier, simply due to lack of resources (so ignoring environmental factors etc.) as the party was too low on resources?

3e goblin, yes singular, killed 5 PCs back in the day.

He returned in 4e and killed 3.

Next week, the goblin will make his appearance in 5e, let's see if the players can break the streak -_-.

What's fun is I left it on a cliff hanger so they know a single goblin is waiting for them. They are very low on resources right now, they fought some mini-beholders, and I'm curious to see what happens.

IMD: Neither of the TPK were my doing, low rolls and bad options chosen really took the TPK out of my hands.

Abd al-Azrad
2017-03-19, 10:06 PM
I had a cleric die from falling damage during an encounter, because he hadn't healed himself from a fairly minor wound inflicted by intra-party fighting earlier in the day.

It was an "evil" party so roughing each other up wasn't a completely unprecedented occurrence. But it was still pretty funny for everyone at the table, that the "evil" party healer was dead because he hadn't been selfish enough with his own healing magic.

Pex
2017-03-19, 10:52 PM
In a Middle Earth game, 1st level, for three rounds in a row I rolled a Natural 3 against an orc after it had already dropped the other PCs. An orc who should have been dead three rounds ago effectively TPKed the party even though the DM finagled a bit based on the story so that we lived, but it was really a TPK.