PDA

View Full Version : Cats or Dogs?

Exeson
2007-07-26, 12:39 PM
Well, this has been a topic for discussion among my mother, sister and I for quite a while so I thought I might as well find out what you guys/gals think.

Personally I prefer cats, I cannot tell you why but I just find them cuter than most dogs and despite what people say they are very amiable (sp?). And whilst I love out two poodles to bits I just seem to connect better with our cat and most other cats I meet.

I was going to make this a poll but I could not figure out how so I shall keep count myself:

Bottom line: Which do you prefer, Cats or Dogs and why?

Cats : 28
Dogs: 13
Other: lost count, we have bunnies and snakes and very very very cute pygmy goats.

Sean92k
2007-07-26, 12:41 PM
I prefer cats because dogs are eviler than the devil and chuck norris

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-07-26, 12:50 PM
I much prefer dogs. They're a much friendlier/people oriented than cats. That, and I'm really allergic to cats as well.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-26, 12:58 PM
I prefer cats because dogs tend to drool on me for no good reason, I HATE drool, I don't like the way they smell, and every cat I've owned has been nothing but kind, loving and friendly, as well as very people-oriented. I'm afraid that many dogs I meet tend to be a bit rude. I like most cats, I only like a few dogs.

zeratul
2007-07-26, 12:59 PM
I'm mainly a cat man myself (although blackouts dog sounds awesome).

Indon
2007-07-26, 01:00 PM
Cats.

They're quieter.

Call_me_Fate
2007-07-26, 01:02 PM
Dogs. How could you tell this:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/call_me_fate/puppy1.jpg

that you'd rather have a cat?

CurlyKitGirl
2007-07-26, 01:03 PM
Cats all the way. Why? Read Discworld and find out. Also, they need very little maintenance and are so cool.

Yes, this is a dare. 6.

jazz1m
2007-07-26, 01:04 PM
Cats - lower maintenance. I don't always have to be around or take them for walks or have set times to feed them. My cat is almost doglike in her behavior. She comes when I call her and plays fetch occasionally.

Plus, I would feel bad for having a dog in NYC, especially since I like the more medium-sized dogs like labs, there's not enough space to run around.

Exeson
2007-07-26, 01:07 PM
Dogs. How could you tell this:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/call_me_fate/puppy1.jpg

that you'd rather have a cat?

Oh god, you dress up your dog? so your one of Those people.... I would never inflict such humiliation on either of my dogs....

Call_me_Fate
2007-07-26, 01:09 PM
Oh god, you dress up your dog? so your one of Those people.... I would never inflict such humiliation on either of my dogs....

Only in the winter, when she goes outside, and more for comedy than any real length of time. Besides, she actually likes it and asks for her coat if she is cold.

Frojoe21
2007-07-26, 01:27 PM
I could go either way on the issue, but since I currently have a dog, I shall place my vote for dogs. On the whole, I do like dogs better. No particular reason really.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-26, 01:34 PM
I like both. I have two cats (who are angry at me) and a dog (who is the cause of this anger).

However, I'll have to say cats, because they purr. Dog's don't purr now, do they?

Castaras
2007-07-26, 01:51 PM
Have to say, cats are more awesome than dogs, in my opinion.

But can I just say that I dig a pony.
Or I'm just trying to think of a beatles song to quote in my post for this dare that lasts 4 more posts.

Narmoth
2007-07-26, 02:01 PM
Neither!
Dog's bark outside my window all night and cat's poop on my staircase:smallannoyed:
Rabbit's for me:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Narmoth/S1030013.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Narmoth/S1030012.jpg

Nerzi
2007-07-26, 02:04 PM
Dogs.
Cats are vermin.

Exeson
2007-07-26, 02:07 PM
Neither!
Dog's bark outside my window all night and cat's poop on my staircase:smallannoyed:
Rabbit's for me:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Narmoth/S1030013.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Narmoth/S1030012.jpg

First picture = Cute
Second picture = Downright Evil and scary

LCR
2007-07-26, 02:22 PM
Dogs, of course. They are not mean, like cats, they're team players!

Mr Croup
2007-07-26, 02:31 PM
Dogs, are most definitely my preference. I can't have a cat for the fact that I'm highly allergic to them, but even if I weren't, I'd still prefer a dog. Specifically this one:
This is Beckett
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/johnkazuo/0_sleepypuppy.jpg
And yes, I did name him after an existential playwright. What?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/johnkazuo/beckettwithbeckett.jpg

And while I wasn't going to bring it up, but since Narmoth already did, I couldn't not pick bunnies either, it just wouldn't be fair.
This is Scout
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/johnkazuo/thebun.jpg
This is a very tired Scout
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/johnkazuo/poopedout.jpg

Indon
2007-07-26, 02:35 PM
She comes when I call her and plays fetch occasionally.

My cats are prone to playing fetch, as well. Unfortunately, one of them hasn't quite gotten the hang of bringing back the ball/wadded up paper/whatever into reach of the person who threw it before dropping it to meow for them to throw it again.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-26, 02:40 PM
First picture = Cute
Second picture = Downright Evil and scary

Cute, evil, and scary? Yes. It is a bunny. That is pretty much the essence of bunny (Well, maybe not the scary part).

I like both cats and dogs, but while I generally like almost every cat I meet, dogs are on a case by case basis. I don't like being barked at excessively, and I really don't like being drooled on.

The pet I really want to get is a guinea pig, though. Those little guys are wonderful.

Mad Scientist
2007-07-26, 02:47 PM
I have to agree with SweetLikeLemons in that I like almost all cats I meet, but dogs are on a case by case basis. So many people have poorly trained dogs. Plus, cats are lower maintainance and don't smell bad. So, I vote for cat.

Logic
2007-07-26, 03:47 PM
I prefer dogs, because only one dog has ever disliked me, and I it.

I still like cats, even though one once bit completely through my finger (from one side to the other) unprovoked. I swear, I was just petting it, like everyone else had been doing, and it nuzzles my hand, and bites me for no known reason.

Iethloc
2007-07-26, 04:29 PM
Cats. I've gotten along with every cat I've met. And I have a cat, and I love him oh so much. They also clean themselves, and they purr.

But dogs? Normally, either they don't like me, or they're overenthusiastic.

North
2007-07-26, 04:34 PM
Cats:smallbiggrin:

My parents dogs chewed up all my good toys when I was a kid.:smallfurious: There is still residual anger.:smallmad:

Amotis
2007-07-26, 04:49 PM
Cats. They fit my more lackadaisical self.

SDF
2007-07-26, 05:10 PM
My cat is awesome. He's fluffidy, he's puffidy, and we are both generally laid back.

My brothers dog is sweet too... She's a big black *****, and one of the happiest animals I have ever met.

Cats edge out for quirky personalities, but I like some dogs too.

Zarrexaij
2007-07-26, 06:04 PM
Neither, actually. I'm more of a reptile/amphibian sort of person.

Yeah, I'm SUCH a rebel.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-26, 06:05 PM
Pygmy goats! Adorable, females don't smell. Easy to clean up after and you can walk them on a leash like a dog.

...well I have to go with dogs, though right now all I have a cat. Overall I prefer dogs, though. They're much happier to see you and don't have the rending claws that cats do.

Pyro
2007-07-26, 06:07 PM
Cats but I do like dogs. But dogs are much higher maintenance and always have a dog smell about them. Cats on the other are fairly self sufficient and just as lovable as dogs. Besides giving cats catnip is AWESOME!

Raiser Blade
2007-07-26, 06:08 PM
cats
see sig for dtails

Raiser Blade
2007-07-26, 06:09 PM
cats
see sig for dtails

Raiser Blade
2007-07-26, 06:10 PM
cats
see sig for dtails

Nerzi
2007-07-26, 06:11 PM
Pygmy goats! Adorable, females don't smell. Easy to clean up after and you can walk them on a leash like a dog.

...well I have to go with dogs, though right now all I have a cat. Overall I prefer dogs, though. They're much happier to see you and don't have the rending claws that cats do.

OMG! PYGMY GOATS! I want!

Sisqui
2007-07-26, 06:19 PM
Definitely cats. Dogs are too slobbery :smallyuk:

Ceres
2007-07-26, 06:21 PM
CATS. All your base are belong to them.

Weezer
2007-07-26, 06:26 PM
Cats, dogs are too exuberant, smelly and need to much upkeep while cats are easy to care for fluffy and are around just when you want them. And unlike what many people say cats can be trained.

Syka
2007-07-26, 06:29 PM
Cats, for all the reasons listed above.

I like dogs, but it varies widely depending on the dog. Like, I loved the huskey that the guy I had been dating had. And my friend's brother's rottweiler was a sweet heart (giant, could bowl you over, but all she'd want is some love). I also had a pit bull try sitting in my lap. <3 Honestly, when I get to the point where I can have a pet I'll probably end up adopting a shelter dog, and adult (and can you tell I like big dogs?). If it drools on me, no go. I also generally dislike the smell, though. :smallconfused:

But that's only because pretty much my entire family excepting me is allergic to cats. Otherwise it'd be a shelter cat.

Cheers,
Syka

ForzaFiori
2007-07-26, 06:39 PM
if its just cats v dogs, then i go w/ cats.

however snakes are my favorite pets.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-26, 07:30 PM
Sorry, just in case no one has an idea of what a pygmy goat look like...I actually owned about 10 of them at one point. FREAKIN ADORABLE.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/61/78/23467861.jpg
http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0e/02/20060523092709990012

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-26, 08:14 PM
Cats all the way for me, no contest. I absolutely adore all cats for everything they are, do and look like.

And I dislike dogs for everything they are, do and look like too.

I grew up in a cat-loving household and I was indoctrinated into the joys of the feline from a young age. Cat wallpaper, cat bedding, cat stuffed toys, three cats running around the house...you get the idea...

SurlySeraph
2007-07-26, 08:20 PM
DOOOOOOOGS! The hell with cats...

Syka
2007-07-26, 08:27 PM
...is that a goat climbing a dog?

And I've seen pygmy goats...So cute. I almost want one. (Note the almost)

Cheers,
Syka

Mattarias, King.
2007-07-26, 08:34 PM
XD I like both cats and dogs, but I'm leaning toward oureling friends more, though. my Girlfriend's a cat person. :smalltongue:

nijineko
2007-07-26, 08:43 PM
hmmm. do i really need to answer this one?

i find that cats are very affectionate, but on thier terms, and they like to have thier own schedule. kinda like some people i know. dogs like a pack, they pick one and stick with it for the most part. kinda like some people i know.

in general, night-owls tend to have better luck, if you like to play with and spend some time winning the cat's trust. oh, and food.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-26, 09:01 PM
Yes, it is. They climb all sorts of things...once had one that would jump on a dog's back and 'surf' for a while...

Cyrano
2007-07-26, 09:09 PM
Did you know cats were NEVER DOMESTICATED? They merely walked into some place one day and said "Hey, there are rats in these big things full of grain." Then they started eating them. The people were like "hey, these cats are getting rid of the rats, let's feed and coddle them." ANY animal with that much self confidence is 300000 times cooler than anyone else, including you, me, any major literary character that isn't a cat and The Crow.

Nomrom
2007-07-26, 09:34 PM
I like dogs more than cats. I do like them both though, and actually have both dogs and cats. However, all the cats I know are not at all like the cats you people describe. They are not affectionate unless they feel like they need something at the time. Any other time and you're realize pretty quickly they would prefer to be left alone. Dogs will always let you pet them, or whatever you want, because that dog wants to be loved. And fed, definitely fed.

This kickass post brought to you by The Randomizer.

ArchivesNinja
2007-07-26, 10:10 PM
Dogs are ok, but my cats are awesome. They have all the personality of dogs without the overwhelming exuberance and are very smart and loving. I'm even leash-training one (http://picasaweb.google.com/TheologicalNinja/NewApartment/photo#5091674272787570498). :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2007-07-26, 10:16 PM
Look, it's very simple.

Dogs are mostly friendly, are skilled at a wide variety of tasks including hunting, fighting, finding things, fetching things, and pulling sleds, and obey humans loyally.

Cats are obnoxious loners, help humans only by eating vermin (which they need to do anyway to survive), and are all plotting to overthrow us.

Therefore, I prefer dogs, because I do not intend to hasten the day when Grand Overlord Mittens will have me executed as a dog-sympathizer.

Reinboom
2007-07-26, 11:14 PM
Cats here.

Most uses of dogs for functionality is mostly devoid. You are either inhumane, or stuck in the past. They are not functional as a guard besides for fear factor alone, for, if someone understands correctly (at least here) what a guard dog means.... and your dog is an "effective guard dog", well, then, you have a law suit coming to you. Yes, people will allow your dog to bite them to sue you.
Aside from functional inefficiencies of the modern day, dogs just strictly don't appeal to me normally. Since I am unsettled from most larger dogs, my latent fear tends to strike out at them - and thus I get attacked by dogs a lot, or used to at least. This has led to me just not trusting many of them—albeit this is circular. Also, slobber and feces are all things that really don't appeal to me. One day, you will be unable to be there to let your dog out - and it will find a new spot to let go. I can't stomach that very effectively, personally. Finally, there's the size and upkeep; things that I can't keep up with - and that they are usually there when I least desire them to be.

Cats on the other hand, cats I have a sort of subtle affinity with. Many of the cats that have been raised in our house I get along with very well. When I am sad and down, each of the cats we have had tend to pay extra attention to me. It's comforting. They still hold their effectiveness in mouse-removal (I can't stomach mouse-traps very welll either ; and it just feels like useless killing to me anymore-with a cat, at least it's a definitive food and natural thing). They are cute, mostly, and usually have a much more interesting personality than canines. They have also come off as more intelligent over all. Even for playing, I have been able to teach games such as hide and seek (of course, not perfectly, but enjoyable none the least) to them.
For upkeep, automatic cat pan is a one time thing, and kitty litter is cheap. They also eat so much less than dogs.

Oh, and catgirls and catboys are just so much more cute than the dog alternatives.

Logic
2007-07-27, 01:18 AM
Oh, and catgirls and catboys are just so much more cute than the dog alternatives.
Quick! A furry sympathizer! Get her! I have to agree on catgirls over doggirls.

Lykan
2007-07-27, 01:31 AM
Animals in general tend to have a hatred on me, so I couldn't say.

But cat's, over my lifetime, have done signifigantly less damage to me.

So I'll say cats.

skywalker
2007-07-27, 02:59 AM
Hmmmm.

I have recently begun befriending my girlfriend's cats. But only on their terms. One recently clawed me with its septic claws, then licked the wound to make sure it created a lovely, itchy welt. Her dog, on the other hand, took to me instantly, as most dogs do.

I cast my vote for dogs, tho I love both.

Exeson
2007-07-27, 03:40 AM
Yes, it is. They climb all sorts of things...once had one that would jump on a dog's back and 'surf' for a while...

That is so cool. ME WANT!! ME WANT!! plus they are cute as well :-)

cats
see sig for dtails

cats
see sig for dtails

cats
see sig for dtails

Do I count that as three votes for cat? :smalltongue:

Nerzi
2007-07-27, 03:52 AM
Sorry, just in case no one has an idea of what a pygmy goat look like...I actually owned about 10 of them at one point. FREAKIN ADORABLE.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/61/78/23467861.jpg
http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0e/02/20060523092709990012

I WANT!

Goats are awesome!
So are pigs, I'd love to have a pig.

Still, dogs will always win. Because cat's are horrible creatures and dogs are actually fun.

Castaras
2007-07-27, 04:39 AM
Still, dogs will always win. Because cat's are horrible creatures and dogs are actually fun.

And I thought you were a girl with good taste. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Cats are so much more awesome than dogs. Oh, and you can easily tell how cats and dogs think of you:

You get a pet dog. Its thoughts: "These humans feed me, give me a nice warm home, pet me, and all in all give me a very good life. They must be gods!"

On the other hand, a pet cat's thoughts: "These humans feed me, give me a nice warm home, pet me, and all in all give me a very good life. I must be a god!"

And there you have it. While the dog is an ownee, and you are the owners, with a cat, you are the ownee, and she is the owner. :smalltongue:

And that sums up why I love 'em.

Exachix
2007-07-27, 04:43 AM
Fish.

Fish are easy to keep.
Put them in a tank. Fill tank with water. Feed occasionally. Clean tank rarely.

Anyway...

I can't stand dogs. They always seem to like me. and I don't like that =P.

The_Librarian
2007-07-27, 04:44 AM
DOOOOOOOGS! The hell with cats...

Awww, I was going to say the same thing.
Tordek rules :D

But it has to be dogs. Dogs are affectionate, they're smart, they're helpful, they'll go out of their way to make people feel better. It's got to be dogs.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 04:48 AM
CATS, CATS ARE NICE

as for why.

cause dey iz smrt

Castaras
2007-07-27, 04:49 AM
Fish.

Ooo! Fish!

Yeah, fish are awesome as well. *Looks at the two tanks of fish in her house*

We have loads of fish...used to have three tanks...Now down to two...eh well...

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 04:53 AM

2 fish in a tank
one says to the other...

"How do you drive this thing?"

Koreku
2007-07-27, 04:55 AM
Definately Dogs! I just always seem more attached to any dogs i meet more than most cats... I'm not quite sure why, but still, definately dogs.

Exachix
2007-07-27, 04:56 AM
2 fish in a tank
one says to the other...

"How do you drive this thing?"

I don't care.
That joke still cracks me up =P.

anyway....

Cats are fun!

Nerzi
2007-07-27, 04:58 AM
Definately Dogs! I just always seem more attached to any dogs i meet more than most cats... I'm not quite sure why, but still, definately dogs.

It's cause cat's are all the same. Dogs have personalities.

Castaras
2007-07-27, 05:02 AM
It's cause cat's are all the same.

Wrong! Cats all have personalities as well.

You get the ones that hide in the rafters, the ones that chase after trains, the ones who talk to you, the ones who sit and grump all day(Adorable :smallbiggrin:), the ones who let you stroke them and then savage you before going back to grumping(My cat. :smalltongue: ), the ones who play with water, the ones who eat macaroni cheese, the ones who climb onto your shoulder and act like parrots...The list goes on and on.

I refuse to say that all cats are the same.

Reinboom
2007-07-27, 06:20 AM
Wrong! Cats all have personalities as well.

You get the ones that hide in the rafters, the ones that chase after trains, the ones who talk to you, the ones who sit and grump all day(Adorable :smallbiggrin:), the ones who let you stroke them and then savage you before going back to grumping(My cat. :smalltongue: ), the ones who play with water, the ones who eat macaroni cheese, the ones who climb onto your shoulder and act like parrots...The list goes on and on.

I refuse to say that all cats are the same.

The ones that keep you awake when you or your parents are having blood sugar issues from diabetes—as my parents' cat does.
The uber cute, blue-eyed, oh so pretty Siamese kitty; who plays hide and seek with me, hates being left alone, will tackle and glomp, and chase people through the house—the cat that saved my daddy's life to me. Cat personalities and intuitiveness, all the more reason to love 'em.

Lord Herman
2007-07-27, 06:36 AM
Cats. Because one day, they will take over the world, and this way I have proof that I was on their side all along.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 06:43 AM
I prefer dogs. They are awesome. Cats are only good in pictures.

Beleriphon
2007-07-27, 06:46 AM
I like cats! I have two.

Fizgig:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/beleriphon/My%20Pets/BAR-0041.jpg

and Mercury:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/beleriphon/My%20Pets/Bretts_critters-0006.jpg

smellie_hippie
2007-07-27, 06:58 AM
I'm a cat man.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-27, 08:33 AM
Saru-neko! Monkey+kitten=win! It's like a mini-catgirl, only a little easier to control!:smallbiggrin:

SDF
2007-07-27, 01:10 PM

YEAH, we are!

>_>

<_<

=^_^= Meow

landadmiral
2007-07-27, 04:06 PM
DOGS!!

I'm not surprised that cats are winning though.

Dogs and humans are social by nature, while cats and gamers are abnormal by nature. This is a gamer forum, thus, most people here are anti-social abnormal gaming gawds. Thus, cats will win. Ironically, I've had a cat but never a dog.

[Scrubbed]

SurlySeraph
2007-07-27, 05:56 PM
[Scrubbed]

Moving on.

Ooo! Fish!

We have loads of fish...used to have three tanks...Now down to two...eh well...

Three tanks for me. Though they're all fairly small. Curse my lack of funiture capable of supporting more than 15 gallons of water! I like fish because, unlike dogs they aren't always clamoring for attention (depending on the species), and unlike cats they won't steal your credit card or suffocate you while you sleep or enslave you and force you to work in salt mines on the cat-planet Felus Prime. Yes, I'm paranoid. No, there isn't a good reason, except that cat stares disturb me, the fact that you can't hear them walking worries me, and I was once attacked by a psychotic (I mean, Belkar-level psychotic) kitten. The cute little thing curled up on my lap, let me pet it for a while, then suddenly whirled around and tried to bite my arm off. That's when I realized that cats were never used in wartime like dogs were because they'd probably switch sides, or end up forming an unstoppable army and conquering the world. Never, ever trust a cat.

blackout
2007-07-27, 06:30 PM
Dog. Half-wolf dog. Yeah, that rocks. :smallamused: Half-wolf dogs kick nine kinds of ass.

Aramil Liadon
2007-07-27, 07:27 PM
Cats! They don't drool on me, and they don't knock over little kids, and they're smart (or intuitive, or whatever), and awesome! And blah blah blah awesome! etc.

And catgirls/boys.

Vuzzmop
2007-07-27, 08:51 PM
Dogs. Cats are more pleasant to have as pets, as they are more low maintenance and independant, but I prefer a dog as a companion and a friend, rather than to be a cat's source of food and shelter, and little else to them.

I used to have a dog, a Black Labrador called Gus. We could never train him though because he was a failed drug sniffing dog (we think he got into the stash), and was badly treated by his previous owner, so he was just a tad hyperactive. Lovely thing though. A tip for dog lovers though, don't get purebreds, they are far less intelligent and far more susceptable to disease and birth defects. Mutts are great because their gene pool is so deep they have a bit of everything you could want in a pet and loyal friend.

tannish2
2007-07-27, 09:24 PM
cats, until recently i had a cat that would follow on walks, came when i called, sat on lap, crapped outside where i didnt have to clean, but if he needed to he could use the litterbox, and if i ever went on a vacation a day too long he would open the next bag of food himself, their also smaller, and while they enjoy more space they can live in a much smaller space, and you dont NEED to go anywhere with them, they get their own exercise, they also make excelent alarm clocks and dont drool/crap on everything, the closest thing they do is hairballs, and cats can sit on your lap/feet/head/shoulders, most dogs cant/wont, and if they do your legs go to sleep, not to mention softer fur, purring, and meow's instead of barking, they can also climb better and their claws are retractable, O! then theres also the whole being easy to play with thing, all you need is a string, or a finger, but those are difficult to find, dogs do have their advantages as well though...... like..... more people know how to train them (everyone always forgets they can train cats) and their better at digging...

Exeson
2007-07-28, 03:53 AM
Dog. Half-wolf dog. Yeah, that rocks. :smallamused: Half-wolf dogs kick nine kinds of ass.

Does this have anything to do with a recent purchase? I would not like my voters biased by one adorable little face looking at them as they type... :smalltongue:

Hell Puppi
2007-07-28, 06:25 PM
On a side note: cats DO knock over kids. There are many u tube videos of this.
I have also seen 2 of the most bad-ass cats in the world thanks to the same video: a cat who chased down a bear, and another cat who actually TREED a bear.
Still a dog-girl, though. Can you tell?:smallwink:

Amotis
2007-07-28, 06:28 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/cat_jumps_on_baby.gif

Cyrano
2007-07-28, 06:56 PM
I have a question for all cat lovers, cats, foxes, members of the cat family and that poor kid above: Why are the grey ones always softer?

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-28, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure why the grey ones are softer, but they are, aren't they? Even my grey bunny was the softest bunny I have petted. Odd.

0wca
2007-07-29, 07:07 PM
Dogs. Cats are more pleasant to have as pets, as they are more low maintenance and independant, but I prefer a dog as a companion and a friend, rather than to be a cat's source of food and shelter, and little else to them.

That is just so true.

DOGS!!

I'm not surprised that cats are winning though.

Dogs and humans are social by nature, while cats and gamers are abnormal by nature. This is a gamer forum, thus, most people here are anti-social abnormal gaming gawds. Thus, cats will win. Ironically, I've had a cat but never a dog.

[Scrubbed]

Even truer!! :smallbiggrin:

Dogs are mostly friendly, are skilled at a wide variety of tasks including hunting, fighting, finding things, fetching things, and pulling sleds, and obey humans loyally.

Cats are obnoxious loners, help humans only by eating vermin (which they need to do anyway to survive), and are all plotting to overthrow us.

Cats are hypocrites. When you don't give them what they want, they get pissed at you imidiately. Dogs are patient and when they want something they bark but in a more friendly kind of way. They ask nicely, cats demand.

Did you know cats were NEVER DOMESTICATED? They merely walked into some place one day and said "Hey, there are rats in these big things full of grain." Then they started eating them. The people were like "hey, these cats are getting rid of the rats, let's feed and coddle them." ANY animal with that much self confidence is 300000 times cooler than anyone else, including you, me, any major literary character that isn't a cat and The Crow.

It's not their goodwill why they do it, it's the motivation of food and shelter. Mercenaries basicaly. :smallmad:

Dogs, of course. They are not mean, like cats, they're team players!

A good dog would take a bullet for you. Sheer loyalty.:smallcool:

I hate it when animals become the center of amusement.

I prefer cats because dogs tend to drool on me for no good reason, I HATE drool, I don't like the way they smell, and every cat I've owned has been nothing but kind, loving and friendly, as well as very people-oriented. I'm afraid that many dogs I meet tend to be a bit rude. I like most cats, I only like a few dogs.

In my experience a nice, slow and friendly approach has never failed me with a dog, be it big or small dogs. As for drooling, I'd prefer that much more to scratching.. plus its kinnda cute.:smallsmile:

I prefer cats because dogs are eviler than the devil and chuck norris

Why?

Dogs truly are men's best friends. Some are more agressive than others, yes, but all in all they're very warm hearted by nature (it's the owners who make them agressive).

Oh and on the subject of the usefullness of cats:

http://www.breederretriever.com/photopost/data/549/medium/saint_bernard.jpg Dogs bring you booze to get you back on your feet! :smallcool:

and behold the greatest, cutest, smartest breed of dog that has EVER walked the face of the earth:

http://www.jeannieshouse.com/kennel/saint_bernard/saint_bernard_w.jpg
http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/images/1100227.jpg
http://clubs.akc.org/saints/Archives/Hennessey%20Tunnel.jpg

THE SAINT BERNARD!

Sure, they require A LOT of attention, care and excercise and are REALLY expensive, but they really are truly amazing. Oh and they drool a lot.. preferably on the couch, while having their head in your lap. SO CUTE!!

DOGS FOREVER!!

PaladinFreak
2007-07-29, 08:56 PM
Cats Pwn! I have two of them.

Natania
2007-07-29, 09:59 PM
yesterday I would have said dogs... But today a dog decided to just run across the street and bite my leg... I wasn't doing anything, just walking with the kid I'm taking care of. It was a Austalian cattle dog but it was still pretty big and it barked and then just bit me. I wasn't running off, I wasn't yelling, I wasn't doing anything besides just walking and now I have a few teethmarks and a big bruise on my leg and I had to get a tettnis shot or something of the like and I have to take antibiotics so today I vote for cats!

Sewer_Bandito
2007-07-29, 10:00 PM
I hate cats....

Dogs rule!

XxAmplisaxX
2007-07-29, 10:12 PM
I prefer cats

they have a certain calm about them that dogs dont have. I have nothing against dogs at all, but cats seem to come in many different personalities and show different ways of affection than dogs do. You have to know a cat and always be around said cat for it to trust your behaivour. When it grows accoustomed to your behaviour it will be skiddish of people with opposite behaviours and other behaviours that arent your own, if you have children said cat will grow accoustomed to having small children around and they will be accoustomed to being teased and played with and may even play with the child, if they are not used to children they will be skiddish and/or very curious about them. Cats show a calmer way of pleasure. Cats purr and rub against your legs showing other cats that they own you, cats and dogs say that you are their pet and you are there to feed and pet it. Cats will calmly curl up in the krook of your leg or at the foot of your bed. Dogs (very much depending on the kind of dog) wag their tails and jump about or in a different personality they may be a bit calmer, they will also sleep at the edge of your bed but most dogs are quicker to getting accoustomed and friendly towards a person, but they also need time as well as a cat. Cats are not humble at all they are proud animals. As dogs are very humble and often generous (in a doglike way). Cats are very graceful and very much said beautiful with a wonderful history. Ill start with the gracefulness and beauty... Cats do not make very jerky movements unless they feel threatened or scared, or when they are kittens and tend to be playful. Cats usually sleep most of the day and and the times they are awake are spent with their owner or food dish, when a cat (or dog) is spayed or neutered they act very differently, depending on the cat. Some cats grow lazier and some much more affectionate. Dogs do not have the gracefulness of a cat, they are very hyper creatures and even when they are spayed/neutered they are not graceful, because when dogs walk they always seem to have a bit of hop in their step and when a cat is walking more of a glide to its step. Even at full run a cat is very graceful, considering a cheetah that can reach up to almost 75 miles/per/hour is graceful as it runs in search of prey, witch brings me to my next subject, how cats are beautiful grace is a part of a cat's beauty but the mighty lion with his magnificent mane or the black panther with its night colored fur and starry eyes, or the leopard with amazing spots, and the tiger with its stripes. All these wild animals are the ancestors of your domestic housecat, as you may as well already know and a tabby cat for instance has stripes like a tiger does but not exactly the same, or your black cat could be a distant relative of that black panther somewhere on the other side of the world. Dogs are very attractive animals too related to the wolves and foxes. Now about cat history ive not much to say. Cats used to be worshipped by ancient egyptians and it was illegal to kill a cat. Often if found guilty for the "murder" of a cat back then the punishment was death. Like i said i dont have much to say on that subject. But those are the reasons I favor cats over dogs. BUT i have to say dogs have a much, much friendlier and humbler nature than your cat.

XxAmplisaxX
2007-07-29, 10:59 PM
All the things about cats makes me seem so logical....its DISGUSTING!

XxAmplisaxX
2007-07-29, 11:50 PM
yesterday I would have said dogs... But today a dog decided to just run across the street and bite my leg... I wasn't doing anything, just walking with the kid I'm taking care of. It was a Austalian cattle dog but it was still pretty big and it barked and then just bit me. I wasn't running off, I wasn't yelling, I wasn't doing anything besides just walking and now I have a few teethmarks and a big bruise on my leg and I had to get a tettnis shot or something of the like and I have to take antibiotics so today I vote for cats!

you probabley mean a rablies shot tetnus shots are for if you get cut by something rusty.

Natania
2007-07-30, 01:20 PM
no it was a tetnus shot. the dogs teeth had broken the skin or something and thats why I needed one... I'll only get a rabies shot once the dog gets out off quarantine and he really has rabies...

redcodekevin
2007-07-30, 03:20 PM
Can I vote for both? because, I can't avoid it, I really like'em both a lot. And I'm like a cat/dog person. No matter where I go the cat/dog (s) in the house will somehow find me friendly. My GF has an evil incarnation of corruption in a black cat body which is teh cutest demon I've seen (which doesn't hide her sudden desires to eradicate all mankind next to her), and my sister has a chihuahua dog that behaves a lot like a cat (he even scratched my right eyeball once about 3 years ago with his paws), and is a very good company. Lilith and Bilbo, respectively.

Bottom Line, redcodekevin votes for both.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-30, 03:29 PM
Cats because they don't require to much attention.

potatocubed
2007-07-30, 05:04 PM
Cats. Dogs are so... dependent. With cats it's more like "I'll go do my thing, you go do your thing, and we can hang out later at a mutually convenient time."

Also, dogs like to chew on my limbs.

tannish2
2007-07-30, 06:21 PM
i have a cat who does that, she also licks my hair.... cats are weird, dogs are predictable they bark, they dig holes, and they crap....... thats it.... i still cant help loving them, but i dont think that they compare to cats

horseboy
2007-07-31, 02:26 AM
Cats, Herps, horses and then, ferrets.
I'm around dogs often. I just don't really like them. They smell. You pet them, and you've got that smell all over you. The looks of vapid stupidity. That constant need for displays of acceptance. Then there's the cost. For what it takes to feed a rottweiler you could have a Tennessee Walker. How much cooler is that?

Hell Puppi
2007-07-31, 02:36 AM
Cats, Herps, horses and then, ferrets.
I'm around dogs often. I just don't really like them. They smell. You pet them, and you've got that smell all over you. The looks of vapid stupidity. That constant need for displays of acceptance. Then there's the cost. For what it takes to feed a rottweiler you could have a Tennessee Walker. How much cooler is that?

I think I would rather have an Andalusian, or a fresian....

Exeson
2007-07-31, 04:20 AM
Seeing as I have not seen anyone else mention it I would just like to say.

CATS BURY THEIR OWN CRAP!!!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!

Thats my little outburst over, but yeh, that is pretty useful and cool.

XxAmplisaxX
2007-07-31, 09:57 PM
You took for granted all the times
I never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head,
If not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground

that is the best song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU ROCK

if i go crazy then will you still call me super man if i'm alive and well will you be there holdin' my hand ill keep you by my side with my superhuman mind...kryptoniteyeah!!!!!!

sorry about that im a little hyper....had too many engergy drinks... darn it....im crashing...........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

i dont know if any of you ever watch brotherhood 2.0 but its hilarious!!! Brotherhood 2.0 is about two brothers who conseted to not talk to eachother except by a blog im prety sure...anyway Hank the younger of the two wrote a song a few days befor Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. To watch it go to Youtube and put in Accio Deathly Hallows and you should find it. Ill try to copy and paste the lyrics in the next thing...I'm gettin kinda tired of this

prepublication media blitz

they've got all of muggle kind under their spell

don't they know the whole world's already gone

and reserved a copy from amazon

how many more books could you sell?

Just give me that book or go to hell.

Cause I need ... Harry Potter

Like a grindylow needs water

as Saturday approaches my need grows

Accio Deathly Hallows

Incendio Book Sales Embargoes

It'll feel like phoenix tears on a broken nose

Accio deathly hallows

Accio deathly hallows

I'm getting kinda petrified

What would Ron do if Hermione died

Or if Voldemort killed Hedwig just for yucks

I have no confidence

in theories about the half blood prince

And what if Harry's brain is a horcrux

Holy crap that would frikkin suck.

Cause I need ... Harry Potter
as saturday approaches my need grows

Accio Deathly Hallows
Incendio Book Embargoes
it'll feel like phoenix tears on a broken nose

Whatever's up the sleve of JK Rowling

I bet it has to do with snape unbreakably vowing

to protect that pureblood pus face Malfoy

But in the end I don't think it's gonna matter

if Snape's good, or if he's bad

because the weight of the world rests on our boy.

Yeah the weight of the world rests on our boy

Yeah I need ... Harry Potter
as saturday approaches my need grows

Accio Deathly Hallows
Incendio Book Embargoes
it'll feel like phoenix tears on a broken nose

But mostly I'm just feelin' sad
I know this could end real bad but
I wish it didn't have to end at all
Yeah I wish it didn't have to end at all

Cause I couldn't care more about Harry Potter
If Hogwarts was my Alma Mater....
Accio Deathly Hallows......

By Hank Green---decreasing WorldSuck:smallwink:

horseboy
2007-07-31, 10:37 PM
I think I would rather have an Andalusian, or a fresian....

The difference of a Caddy vs a Suburban. Sure they're bigger and more powerful, but the Walker runs so smooth. :smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2007-08-01, 01:33 AM
The difference of a Caddy vs a Suburban. Sure they're bigger and more powerful, but the Walker runs so smooth. :smallbiggrin:

I'm used to Arabians...pretty much any ride is an improvement, but their gas mileage is awesome.

Pwenet
2007-08-01, 11:02 AM
I was raised in a household the raised and bred Newfoundlands. I love these large hairy beasts, despite everything I had to do to help raise and maintain them and get rewarded with a purr from them (yes dogs can purr if they choose to)

However I then met my wife, who is a big cat person, and eventually we got two cats. The little furballs are cute and adorable (brother and sister), and very easy to maintain, plus they act as nice heaters during the night when they crawl into bed like they own it.

Thus, at this point in time, I have to say I like cats a little bit better.

Vhaidara
2007-08-01, 03:07 PM
I like both, but will vote other because of ferrets and lizards, and the fact that my cat-dog opinion is very biased, since I'm alergic to cats.

Gaelbert
2007-08-01, 03:15 PM
I would vote for a typical dog over a typical cat, but I just happen to have the cutest cat in the world, and the best dog in the world for that matter. In general, I do prefer dogs.

XxAmplisaxX
2007-08-01, 10:28 PM
im still preferring cats--=) they are calmer, but for some reason people think that dog's mouth's are cleaner than a human's thats just wrong... they lick their privats for crying out loud! (so do cats but no one says their mouths are cleaner than human's)

XxAmplisaxX
2007-08-01, 10:29 PM
woops didnt mean to say that twice!.....heh................

horseboy
2007-08-02, 01:29 AM
im still preferring cats--=) they are calmer, but for some reason people think that dog's mouth's are cleaner than a human's thats just wrong... they lick their privats for crying out loud! (so do cats but no one says their mouths are cleaner than human's)

Mythbusters proved it. They had a dog lick a tray and Jamie licked a tray. It was that episode where they were testing the 5 second rule.

XxAmplisaxX
2007-08-02, 01:34 PM
I dont believe it... mythbusters or not! mwahahahahahahahhaha!

Valdus
2007-08-03, 02:23 PM
cats, dogs are messy not to mention how you have to walk them every day even if its a thunder storm, although there are some dogs I like overall I would say cats over dogs.

Sir_Norbert
2007-08-03, 02:36 PM
I love cats. They're soft, sweet and friendly (well, they're not all friendly, but neither am I going to stop liking humans just because they're not all friendly) and I could sit and stroke one for hours in perfect contentment. I love the purring noises they make when you make them happy.

I hate dogs. They smell, they try to lick you and don't understand that you don't want to go round all day smelling of dog, their barking is ugly and so often spoils my sleep, and they're so much trouble to look after. My sister has a dog, and although normally I can ignore it (apart from the sleep deprivation I mentioned), I hate being saddled with looking after it when she and Mother are both away.

Oh, and a small rant: I hate the way dog-lovers just don't get the fact that some people don't like dogs. The number of times I've been walking in the park and moved to avoid a small dog, and the owners have chirrupped, "Don't worry, he won't hurt you" or "Don't worry, he's only a puppy." Yeah..... you think I don't have eyes? I'm just trying to make sure I don't have to throw this new pair of trousers straight in the wash when I get home, thank you very much.......

When my young lady and I have a house of our own we're going to get a cat. Definitely. Not a dog. Definitely.