View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions about Charge and attacks of opportunity

Tanklin
2017-03-19, 12:02 PM
I'm creating a cavalier right now for a new campaign we're doing with my friends. I'm trying to understand better the rules of charging.

Then:
"You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). You must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge."

but with the charge through feat, and overrun feat i can charge through another enemy and still finish the charge.
Did the enemy gain an attack of opportunity while i overrun him?

What happens if i charge front to front to an enemy, using ride-by attack? i need to overrun him too? can i charge him with a lance (reach property) , passing near him, attack, and thus avoiding attacks of opportunity?

The next question, i'm assuming charging and passing near an enemy, they get an opportunity attack. but this attack is against me? my mount? both? (with combat reflexes)
I can avoid one of those attack with mounted combat doing a ride check.

Is there a way to avoid those attacks of opportunity, besides not charging near them? Or only way is using dodge and mobility?

And the last thing. The mount should have improved overrun to avoid attacks of opportunity, or the rider? If i'm not understanding something right, please feel free to correct me, i have a lot of doubts.

Thanks in advance guys, for all the help :)

jmax
2017-03-19, 12:57 PM
NOTE: I'm assuming all of this is in the context of being mounted. You didn't say whether this is for 3.5 or Pathfinder (both have cavalier classes, and they're different), but I don't think either grants class features relevant to your questions. My apologies - I missed the tag on the thread title. And of course Charge Through is Pathfinder-specific. Derp.

but with the charge through feat, and overrun feat i can charge through another enemy and still finish the charge.
Did the enemy gain an attack of opportunity while i overrun him?
Improved Overrun should negate attacks of opportunity from the target you attempt to overrun regardless of whether you attack.

What happens if i charge front to front to an enemy, using ride-by attack? i need to overrun him too? can i charge him with a lance (reach property) , passing near him, attack, and thus avoiding attacks of opportunity?

The lance should be able to reach sideways as you charge, which would let you avoid attacks of opportunity from opponents without reach.

The next question, i'm assuming charging and passing near an enemy, they get an opportunity attack. but this attack is against me? my mount? both? (with combat reflexes)
I can avoid one of those attack with mounted combat doing a ride check.

They can attack either of you, or both if they have Combat Reflexes. But see below regarding Ride-By Attack.

Is there a way to avoid those attacks of opportunity, besides not charging near them? Or only way is using dodge and mobility?

With Ride-By Attack, neither you nor the mount provokes an AoO from the target of your attack. Anyone else can still attempt an AoO against either of you. I don't know off the top of my head of any way to avoid AoOs from non-targets while charging. If you weren't charging, your mount could potentially use the Tumble skill (Acrobatics in Pathfinder), although that would be very interesting while carrying a rider :-D

The mount should have improved overrun to avoid attacks of opportunity, or the rider?

The mount, technically. The mount is also the one that will need Charge Through. Your DM might allow you to take the feats in the context of being mounted instead of on foot if you ask nicely - although of course having the feats with the mount means you have more feat slots for yourself.

Larsen
2017-03-19, 01:10 PM
or both if they have Combat Reflexes.

Are you sure about this ?

I think you only get one attack of opportunity per action, and there is only one action even if both the mount and the rider are moving.

jmax
2017-03-19, 01:18 PM
Are you sure about this ?

I think you only get one attack of opportunity per action, and there is only one action even if both the mount and the rider are moving.

Hmm, good point. The rules definitely say that moving through multiple squares from the same creature doesn't in itself allow multiple attacks of opportunity. I don't see anything about "per action" though, so it's unclear whether it counts as one creature moving or two.

Citation: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#TOC-Attacks-of-Opportunity (scroll to section about Combat Reflexes)

This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity).

That suggests to me that the opportunities are per-target, but I could see it going either way depending on DM interpretation, and I would consider both interpretations to be reasonable.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the more I think you're right. It's functionally one movement despite being two creatures, which feels like a single opportunity.