PDA

View Full Version : Counterspell and actionsurge

Doomwhispo
2017-03-19, 12:49 PM
Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before.
I have 2 questions
Question 1
Wizzard cast spell
Enemy cast counter spell
Same wizzard uses his reaction to cast counter spel on the counter spell.

According to the reaction description one is allowed to take a reaction whenever he wants if the requirements are met and it is an instant auction
But a player cannot cast more than 1 spell each turn right? So would said wizzard be allowed to cast countersPel in this situation?

Question 2
Another question. If a wizzard multiclass in Fighter can he cast a second spell in his turn with action surge?

Rysto
2017-03-19, 01:01 PM
But a player cannot cast more than 1 spell each turn right?

Incorrect. The only rule on this is that a player may not cast a spell of any level as a bonus action if they cast a spell of level 1 or higher as an action on their turn. Nothing prevents you from casting a spell with your action and reaction on your turn. However, some DMs might rule that you can't cast Counterspell while you're mid-way through casting a spell with your action -- that's going to come down to an individual DM's interpretation of how Counterspell works.

You definitely can cast a spell with your action, Action Surge, and cast a second spell with the second action.

RickAllison
2017-03-19, 01:05 PM
The action restriction on casting spells only exists for bonus action spells. If no bonus action spell is used, you could theoretically fire off unlimited spells with enough actions and spell slots. So an Eldritch Knight can fire off a spell, Counterspell the enemy's Counterspell, and use the Action Surge to fire a second spell.

The way I like to think of it is that bonus action spells involve pushing the Weave (or whatever magical aether is used in the setting) in a way that it does not normally move. Reaction spells are designed to take a minimum of interaction so they rapidly fire, and normal action spells function with the Weave like they are supposed to. But bonus action spells force the Weave rather than working with it, and the ripples block the caster from tapping into it as the interference is too great. The caster has to wait for the Weave to calm and until then only cantrips, which seem to tap into the Weave directly and are directed from it since they do not require any personal power, can be used. They bypass the muddled connection between the caster and the Weave, and so aren't affected by the disturbances from the rushed spells.

Keep in mind that my interpretation is headcanon.

NNescio
2017-03-19, 01:06 PM
The action restriction on casting spells only exists for bonus action spells. If no bonus action spell is used, you could theoretically fire off unlimited spells with enough actions and spell slots. So an Eldritch Knight can fire off a spell, Counterspell the enemy's Counterspell, and use the Action Surge to fire a second spell.

The way I like to think of it is that bonus action spells involve pushing the Weave (or whatever magical aether is used in the setting) in a way that it does not normally move. Reaction spells are designed to take a minimum of interaction so they rapidly fire, and normal action spells function with the Weave like they are supposed to. But bonus action spells force the Weave rather than working with it, and the ripples block the caster from tapping into it as the interference is too great. The caster has to wait for the Weave to calm and until then only cantrips, which seem to tap into the Weave directly and are directed from it since they do not require any personal power, can be used. They bypass the muddled connection between the caster and the Weave, and so aren't affected by the disturbances from the rushed spells.

Keep in mind that my interpretation is headcanon.

I'm snitching your headcanon if you don't mind.

RickAllison
2017-03-19, 01:16 PM
I'm snitching your headcanon if you don't mind.

Go for it! I spend way too much time trying to apply some sort of science to magic in settings :smallbiggrin:

Dalebert
2017-03-20, 06:21 PM
Seems like every day I'm correcting someone on the misconception about not being able to cast two spells in a turn so don't feel bad. It's an EXTREMELY commonly mis-remembered rule. As was pointed out, the restriction is on bonus action spells specifically. Action Surge will let you cast two higher-than-cantrip spells and spells as reactions work.

What does work:
Any two spells with Action Surge
A quickened Fireball and Firebolt with your action
Dimension Door and Feather Fall
Fireball and Counterspell (this is actually an example used in the Sage Advice Compendium which is considered official errata)

What doesn't work:
Casting Shillelagh and Fireball.
Casting Misty Step and Feather Fall.
A quickened Firebolt and Fireball with your action (Note: I usually just retcon that they flipped this as a DM since that's probably what they meant to do and then it works.)

The Sage Advice Compendium uses an example where caster A casts Fireball. Caster B counterspells it. Then caster A counterspells the counterspell of caster B. So it's in the errata that you can cast counterspell the same turn you've cast a spell.

Kane0
2017-03-20, 06:41 PM
That said, many tables will houserule in the simpler 'one spell per round' version, some even extending that to action surge. The game works fine either way, though it is funny when you're half way through casting a spell when someone tries to interrupt you so you interrupt their interrrupt so you can continue uninterrupted.

Dalebert
2017-03-20, 07:46 PM
FWIW, Counterspell is somatic only. I tend to imagine the somatic component of most spells being just gesturing at the end of casting in the direction you want to send the spell like a Fireball. Can't gesture? The Fireball goes off point blank at your feet or something.

It's simple enough to imagine that as you're casting a spell, someone gestures a CS, then you gesture a CS without stopping your casting and finally end with pointing your finger at the target for the somatic component of the spell you're casting. Point is, if you don't want to allow it, do so for balance reasons; not fluff ones, e.g. "I just can't imagine how that's possible!" Because it doesn't really matter. Rule of Cool says allow it (if you also think it would be cool) and that means cook up the fluff of it however you need to so it makes sense. Don't get hung up on realism. It's a game and 5e rejects realism and simulationism all the time for simplicity and balance.