PDA

View Full Version : What spells would you make into Rituals?

Coidzor
2017-03-19, 01:41 PM
What Rituals would you add in?

Fishyninja
2017-03-19, 02:11 PM
Zone of Truth. I feel it would be a good chance to Roleplay an interrogation, Also a handy way to discern truth in a large populace, say in a party envrionment or at a group meeting etc.

Sans.
2017-03-19, 02:15 PM
Arcane Lock, Locate Object, Knock, Magic Mouth, Rope Trick, Gylph of Warding, Sending, Tongues, Leomund's Secret Chest, Legend Lore, Teleportation Circle, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Sequester, Control Weather, Gate.

rooneg
2017-03-19, 02:21 PM
Teleportation Circle, without question.

Arkhios
2017-03-19, 03:56 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Raise Dead, Resurrection etc. are not rituals already. You shouldn't cast them in combat anyway so I don't see what harm would there be if they were rituals.

Although Revivify, which technically would fall within the same category, wouldn't make much sense as a ritual given its parameters.

Cybren
2017-03-19, 04:10 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Raise Dead, Resurrection etc. are not rituals already. You shouldn't cast them in combat anyway so I don't see what harm would there be if they were rituals.

Although Revivify, which technically would fall within the same category, wouldn't make much sense as a ritual given its parameters.
There's two main reasons I assume:
1) is to keep non-casters from casting them with a single feat, and
2) to keep them tied to the spell slot economy

sir_argo
2017-03-19, 04:25 PM
I think that adding the ritual tag to a spell could overpower it, in most cases. In only a few I think it would be ok.

Speak With Dead
Speak With Plants
Legend Lore
Awaken
Feather Fall

Deleted
2017-03-19, 04:30 PM
What Rituals would you add in?

All of them. And give access to non-spallcasters if they have potential (so high mental stats but wrong class/NPC).

Something like this... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm (3e had A LOT of variant rules that was awesome).

Make sure you have to be stationary but I would make all of them rituals as it can set up for some interesting traps and neat combos for players or NPCs.

The players need a spell cast, let's say Cone of Cold in order to kill Creature Z as there is a curse on the creature or whatever. The PCs are level 3 and don't have access to the spell! They can get the right NPCs together (sages if you will ;) ) and find the ritual of Cone of Cold.

As the players fight off the monster, weaken it, and get it in position... The "Sages" start casting the spell, which takes 10 rounds (they would start casting before the fight, say at the entrance to a cave or something before the players lured the creature out). Now, the Cone of Cold won't KILL the creature but will make it able to be killed.

So what you have...

Mission to find said ritual (cone of cold)
Mission to find the right NPC to cast a spell (which might be a bit hard)
Mission to find the beast Z
Must fight/protect the NPCs while they cast the ritual (cone of cold), the creature might take a few out...
Must get the creature into position to be hit.
Must kill the beast Z
Must pick up the pieces and deal with issues.

You could do this with remove curse, bestow curse, or a slew of other spells that aren't normally rituals or castable by non-specialized creatures. Doesn't work for ALL settings (though magic isn't exactly rare in 5e at its base as it is everywhere).

Sometimes it can be PCs casting the spell that normally can't cast spells, say if the only cleric or wizard is petrified or polymorphed... Instead of going to town and paying gold you could go to town and hire someone (who is actually the polymorphed/petrified player) to help you find a mystical ritual that will restore their friend.

I wouldn't do this with resurrection as I like when my characters die an epic or glorious death, but other things it works well for. Though once my group left me petrified because they knew it's what my character would have wanted :P

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-19, 04:31 PM
There's two main reasons I assume:
1) is to keep non-casters from casting them with a single feat, and
2) to keep them tied to the spell slot economy

I dunno. Am I the only one here who wouldn't actually be all that upset if non-casters had ready access to the Bring your Buddy back into the game spell?

Cybren
2017-03-19, 04:33 PM
I dunno. Am I the only one here who wouldn't actually be all that upset if non-casters had ready access to the Bring your Buddy back into the game spell?

Some things aren't separated by class for game balance or gameplay convenience, but to maintain distinct class archetypes.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-19, 04:39 PM
Some things aren't separated by class for game balance or gameplay convenience, but to maintain distinct class archetypes.

Again, I don't know. A lot of classes blur the line (hello there, druid, paladin, eldritch knight, arcane trickster, bard, and ranger), so the idea of a holy knight bringing back the dead makes a lot of sense to me. I mean, he's on the front lines, why NOT give him that power, even if he's mostly a warrior?

Secondly, I have NEVER met a cleric player who wrapped their cleric class role as the guy who resurrects people. Bring down holy fire? Yes. Raise an army of undead? Yes. Pious healer? Occasionally.

I really don't think a spell that can return a player to playing that isn't used all that often (hopefully...) is really necessary for the class protection. It isn't even what they are doing 90% of the time in game, so I wouldn't even call it the role of a cleric, just a bonus.

Also, it would help if the cleric ever dies to have a back-up, just saying.

BurgerBeast
2017-03-19, 04:46 PM
...The players need a spell cast, let's say Cone of Cold in order to kill Creature Z as there is a curse on the creature or whatever. The PCs are level 3 and don't have access to the spell! They can get the right NPCs together (sages if you will ;) ) and find the ritual of Cone of Cold.

I don't mean to detract form your idea here, because I think it's really cool, but... if the PCs can get sages together to cast it as a ritual, why not just get a wizard who can cast the spell?

Deleted
2017-03-19, 04:54 PM
I don't mean to detract form your idea here, because I think it's really cool, but... if the PCs can get sages together to cast it as a ritual, why not just get a wizard who can cast the spell?

Needs more than one creature to actually cast it (maybe 1/spell level?)
The wizard/cleric is needed else where in the battle
The spellcaster is concentrating on a spell
There is no spellcaster in the party
PC doesn't want to do nothing during the encounter

Sometimes a PC will join in, maybe if the player isn't there (sad, but many of players have missed epic battles).