PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Having trouble trying to recreate a favorite character

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-19, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone, first post here, my question is fairly short and simple. I'm a big fire emblem fan and i wanted to try and recreate one of my favorite characters as a PC (Leo from fates for those of you who know the series). The character uses mainly tomes (gravity magic) but can also employ a sword and wears medium/heavy armor (the armor part is not mandatory and can just be roleplayed, i suppose spells can be reflavored too). My main struggle is picking between wizard and getting sword proficiency from a feat or something and going eldritch knight fighter. What do you guys think is the better choice or do you perhaps know of any other options?

Sans.
2017-03-19, 02:06 PM
Gravity magic?? Ummm. Bladesinger for sure to pick up Telekinesis and Reverse Gravity, I'd throw some Fighter in there too.

Human Paragon 3
2017-03-19, 02:13 PM
How about a strength-based 4 elements Monk in heavy armor with a long sword? Refluff all the elemental maneuvers as gravity effects?

It might help if you describe some of the specific gravity magic effects you want your character to have, since not everyone is familiar with the character.

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-19, 02:53 PM
How about a strength-based 4 elements Monk in heavy armor with a long sword? Refluff all the elemental maneuvers as gravity effects?

It might help if you describe some of the specific gravity magic effects you want your character to have, since not everyone is familiar with the character.

Not too much information is given in game but let me give you his tome's description maybe that would help: "Brynhildr is described as a tome that can manipulate earth, gravity and life, summoning a small grove of trees to ensnare a selected enemy target when used in battle." So earth and life spells/power/effects are fair game too

bid
2017-03-19, 03:13 PM
My main struggle is picking between wizard and getting sword proficiency from a feat or something and going eldritch knight fighter. What do you guys think is the better choice or do you perhaps know of any other options?
Or just a single level of fighter, then pure wizard.

If race is not an issue, elves start with some sword training. This way you can skip fighter altogether.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-19, 03:27 PM
Well, I don't know the game very well (or rather, at all), but might I recommend this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass) guide as a start? It is for a Sorcerer/Paladin combo, not a wizard, which might be a concern to you, if you want bookish rather than a charismatic leader, but I thought better to get it rejected then not to mention it.

treecko
2017-03-19, 04:57 PM
Few options: The paladin/sorc build works very well for this. Paladin can cast find steed for a powerful mount, and wear heavy/medium armor, as well as use a sword and attack. Sorcerer gets powerful spells, especially blasting.

Alternatively, EK 5/evocation wizard x feels a little better to me, as I see Leo as more of an int-based caster. Fire emblem in general tends to focus on Tomes doing damage, so mostly evocation spells feels right.

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-20, 07:06 AM
Few options: The paladin/sorc build works very well for this. Paladin can cast find steed for a powerful mount, and wear heavy/medium armor, as well as use a sword and attack. Sorcerer gets powerful spells, especially blasting.

Alternatively, EK 5/evocation wizard x feels a little better to me, as I see Leo as more of an int-based caster. Fire emblem in general tends to focus on Tomes doing damage, so mostly evocation spells feels right.

Of the options so far EK/evocation wizard does sound pretty good, whats the reason to go EK 5 specifically?

Rowan Wolf
2017-03-20, 11:05 AM
Extra Attack.

Specter
2017-03-20, 11:27 AM
Not too much information is given in game but let me give you his tome's description maybe that would help: "Brynhildr is described as a tome that can manipulate earth, gravity and life, summoning a small grove of trees to ensnare a selected enemy target when used in battle." So earth and life spells/power/effects are fair game too

Sounds more like a Druid/Fighter than Wizard/Fighter to me.

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-21, 05:38 AM
With the release of the war magic tradition from mondays UA are there any new options to consider?

Knaight
2017-03-21, 06:17 AM
I'm not familiar with the post RD fire emblem games, but generally the magic is pretty simple single target attack magic in every FE prior to RD, and I didn't hear about that being changed. I'd probably just go with a Fighter, dipping into a caster class of some sort (Mystic could work) just long enough to pick up a cantrip. There is some setting side stuff that implies a bit more, but the Eldritch Knight subclass and careful spell selection should cover that.

Malifice
2017-03-21, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone, first post here, my question is fairly short and simple. I'm a big fire emblem fan and i wanted to try and recreate one of my favorite characters as a PC (Leo from fates for those of you who know the series). The character uses mainly tomes (gravity magic) but can also employ a sword and wears medium/heavy armor (the armor part is not mandatory and can just be roleplayed, i suppose spells can be reflavored too). My main struggle is picking between wizard and getting sword proficiency from a feat or something and going eldritch knight fighter. What do you guys think is the better choice or do you perhaps know of any other options?

Tome? Tome Warlock with a fighter dip sound perfect.

Fiend pact for hellish rebuke and fireball.

Azreal
2017-03-21, 08:44 AM
Tome? Tome Warlock with a fighter dip sound perfect.

Fiend pact for hellish rebuke and fireball.

Plus the Hurl through Hell ability can be refluffed for that Teleport he did in the pre-choice time.

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-21, 09:37 AM
Plus the Hurl through Hell ability can be refluffed for that Teleport he did in the pre-choice time.

I sat down with a friend and we think we've come up with the best representation for Leo. Transmutation wizard, it sounds strange i know but i think it can work. All gravity spells (think featherfall, reverse gravity, spiderclimb) are transmutation and the transmutation tradition stuff seems fitting for the earth/life/gravity theme brynhildr has. Leo feels more like an high int caster rather than high charisma but maybe thats just me. He won't have the sweet armor but that can be roleplayed i guess and as a variant human picking up weapon prof gives him his rapier/longsword whatever.

Azreal
2017-03-21, 04:28 PM
You could dip into Fighter to pick up the sweet armor and sword prof.

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-21, 05:55 PM
You could dip into Fighter to pick up the sweet armor and sword prof.

definitely considered it but being a level behind in wizard sucks quite a lot. Thinking about it once again we think war magic might be the better tradition for this, it doesnt have the neat effects of transmutation but it's nothing major to miss out on.

Azreal
2017-03-21, 08:46 PM
definitely considered it but being a level behind in wizard sucks quite a lot. Thinking about it once again we think war magic might be the better tradition for this, it doesnt have the neat effects of transmutation but it's nothing major to miss out on.

I'm definitely interested to see how this works out in play for you. I love Fire Emblem a lot so this was great to run across.

Jeebs
2017-03-22, 09:18 AM
Fighter 1 for Heavy Armor. Warlock X for Eldritch Blast (reflavored to be the tome attack).

If you don't want to be a level behind in Warlock, you could try the Hexblade UA for Medium Armor. Attacking with CHA is like using a Levin Sword.

I'd go Pact of the Blade for Extra Attack and take spells like Expeditious Retreat, Hex, and Armor of Agathys. I haven't played Fates, but if I were building a Fire Emblem character I'd use subtle/background spells, since in-game magic is usually healing, auto attack, or Dancers/Herons giving a unit another round.

That said, big spells could just be more advanced tomes (Fireball = Bolganone).

XBlckCrow150
2017-03-22, 10:17 AM
Fighter 1 for Heavy Armor. Warlock X for Eldritch Blast (reflavored to be the tome attack).

If you don't want to be a level behind in Warlock, you could try the Hexblade UA for Medium Armor. Attacking with CHA is like using a Levin Sword.

I'd go Pact of the Blade for Extra Attack and take spells like Expeditious Retreat, Hex, and Armor of Agathys. I haven't played Fates, but if I were building a Fire Emblem character I'd use subtle/background spells, since in-game magic is usually healing, auto attack, or Dancers/Herons giving a unit another round.

That said, big spells could just be more advanced tomes (Fireball = Bolganone).

Neat idea, ill probably steal this for a more melee/social character, but Leo is more of a booksmart/intelligence dude and warlock's spell list is pretty limited and doesnt contain any of the flavor spells that fit the character (of the top of my head telekenesis and reverse gravity) which is why i think war magic tradition wizard (with longsword proficiency from feat as variant human) is the way to go. Big thanks for the suggestions though, appreciate it.