PDA

View Full Version : Newbish DM question

Iden
2007-07-26, 12:51 PM
So I'm running a game in which we're not using XP to keep track of levels. We're doing the general agreement after big encounters or stories that we're gaining levels. Not sure if this is done much or not, but we tend to not like to keep track of XP. That having been said, does anyone have any suggestions for doing things like crafting or permanency which require xp to use? I don't really know about keeping someone from gaining a level one time through for some small crafted item.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 12:53 PM
Most XP costs are low enough that being at a temporary lower level makes up for the XP loss by the extra XP gained in a fight (in normal D&D), so you can ignore small costs for the most part.

TheThan
2007-07-26, 12:53 PM
Off the top of my head I’d say you could double to gold cost for such things. Also you’re going to have to work out some sort of variant for multi-class xp penalties.

TomTheRat
2007-07-26, 12:54 PM
If you're running loose with the XPs, it's probably not insane to deduct the value of the crafted item from the total XP given to the party at the end of the adventure. Or even ignore it, as long as the crafter isn't sitting at home all adventure long churning out magic goodies.

AKA_Bait
2007-07-26, 01:01 PM
I would just add the xp cost to the total cost of making the item. I think that's supported someplace also... maybe DMG 2.

Krrth
2007-07-26, 01:05 PM
I do something similar with a Sci-Fi game. Depending on how much XP would have been expended, I simply level the player up at a later date. On average, one or two sessions, depending on what gets accomplished. Seems to work out well.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-26, 01:12 PM
Off the top of my head I’d say you could double to gold cost for such things.
That's a bit much.

The standard gp-XP conversion rate is 1 XP = 5 gp. Items require 1/25 the market price in XP. Multiply this cost by 5 gp/XP, and you wind up with a surcharge of only 1/5 the market price. Since the normal gold cost for crafting an item is half the market price, this means the cost to craft should only rise by about 40%, if at all. (This doesn't even address the concept of items now being valued at-cost.)

Anyway, similar to what Arbitrarity said, the XP cost for crafting is small enough as to be insignificant. It's really more of a flavor thing than a balance thing. So, despite my rant above, I think you can get away without any additional costs for crafting without harm.

However, I believe most spells that include XP costs do tend to have a significant price. For these, you can replace the XP cost with a material component whose value is equal to five times the XP in gold pieces.

So, don't worry about it when crafting, and just add a material component when spellcasting.

Dausuul
2007-07-26, 01:20 PM
So I'm running a game in which we're not using XP to keep track of levels. We're doing the general agreement after big encounters or stories that we're gaining levels. Not sure if this is done much or not, but we tend to not like to keep track of XP. That having been said, does anyone have any suggestions for doing things like crafting or permanency which require xp to use? I don't really know about keeping someone from gaining a level one time through for some small crafted item.

My suggestion: Every time players level up, they get an amount of "crafting XP" equal to 100 x previous level. (So, when you hit level 2, you get 100; when you hit level 3, you get 200; et cetera.) This XP can be used for paying XP costs on spells, for item crafting, anything you'd normally spend XP to do.

valadil
2007-07-26, 01:36 PM
I was gonna suggest D's crafting idea. That seems to make sense.

I'm also fine with not charging XP costs so long as you don't allow too much downtime. If your players decide to wait a year while the wizard cranks out items you've got problems. Just make time into a crafting resource rather than XP and you'll be all set.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-26, 01:39 PM
I'm also fine with not charging XP costs so long as you don't allow too much downtime. If your players decide to wait a year while the wizard cranks out items you've got problems. Just make time into a crafting resource rather than XP and you'll be all set.
They still need gold. All the time in the world doesn't help them make their +1 sword of überdeath if they can't scrounge up the 10,000 gp to pay for material costs.

Gold has always been the greater limiting factor over XP.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-26, 01:47 PM
I've always house ruled that spell levels can be substituted for xp, or 5 spell levels, or 10, whatever. The idea being that magic items are then made out of magic and the crafter is a sitting duck during the creation process with all thier magic used up / invested for the day. It also limits their downtime spellcasting for hire cheese, you can be a wiz fixer or your can produce the big ultimate macguffin but not both at the same time

Edit|: the guy above is completely right, Gp MUUUUCH more limiting than Xp if the DM enforces the economics sujested in the DMG

gaymer_seattle
2007-07-26, 02:21 PM
If you are playing fast and loose with XP, I suggest fast and loose with the creation rules. Make the characters collect the components they need to build it and spend the time to do it. make the components most unavailable for purchase. feather of cockatrice, lock of a dark elves hair, scale of a mermaid's tail

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-26, 05:22 PM
I like Gaymer_Seatle's idea. Think of the sidequest for the starmetal in OotS as an example but obviously the nature of the task should vary. I'd keep it relatively small as it shouldn't eat too much into the main plot.