PDA

View Full Version : Immunity to deafening and blinding (3.5)

flappeercraft
2017-03-19, 03:54 PM
So I was rereading the spell Holy word and I noticed that it can deal deafening and blindness to which I have no idea how to be immune to. What can make you immune to those effects? All 1st party and dragon magazine allowed.

Anthrowhale
2017-03-19, 04:05 PM
So I was rereading the spell Holy word and I noticed that it can deal deafening and blindness to which I have no idea how to be immune to. What can make you immune to those effects? All 1st party and dragon magazine allowed.

Vision of the Omniscient Eye & Nezram's Emerald Energy Shield are spell level 3 & 4 solutions.

Necroticplague
2017-03-19, 04:07 PM
Raptor's Mask renders you immune to blinding. However, it's exact wording actually makes it much broader than that, protecting you from the entirety of the Holy Word.

A raptor’s mask grants you a +5 bonus on Spot checks and renders you immune to effects that would leave you blinded or dazzled. Since the Holy Word is an effect that would make you blinded, the mask makes you immune to it.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-19, 04:36 PM
Holy Word is SR:yes, so Greater Spell Immunity will protect you.
Silence will too, but it prevents you from casting your own spells.
A Ring of Silent Spells (MIC, 2500gp iirc) can help since it casts Silence and lets you cast low level spells in Silence a few times a day and is incredibly cheap.

Instead of guarding specifically against it you can also just get an immediate action teleport with a range of 35ft or more. Or just Celerity + Dimension Door.
Holy Word is a 40ft spread centered on the caster, so if you can identify is with spellcraft you can bug out pretty reliably, and immediate-action teleports are useful for a whole lot of situations.