PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How would you make a knight of Sune?

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-19, 08:40 PM
Hello all,

A dear friend of mine is wanting to join our campaign and would like some help realizing a character concept. The general idea is an overly chivalrous, handsome, kind of flattering/kind of ridiculous, 'knight'. We will expand on the knighthood he's joined in the Background section. The concept was inspired by Don Quixote and Professor Lockhart (of Harry Potter fame).

The constraints to constructing this PC are:
-Level 7;
-standard array;
-Half-Elf, Drow, Aasimar or Tiefling <-- Player just likes these options best, no gamest reason ;
- Considering the following class combinations:
--Bard;
--Paladin;
--Bard MC Paladin;
--Eldritch Knight mc Enchanter Wizard.

We are looking for any assistance you could offer; what class would YOU use to fill this niche, what breakdown in levels would you use? Any 'must have' feats? This is a character for our Out of the Abyss campaign; they are currently in Blingdenstone close to getting to the surface. Currently the party is a Half-Orc Barbarian/Fighter, a Human Blood Hunter, and a Wood-Elf Arcana Cleric.

Edit: Updating the post to include background information and to clarify what I am asking, as per the suggestion below.

[PC Name] was orphaned as a small child, he doesn't know what happened to his family and can't really remember many details. He bounced from orphanages to foster care to the streets. This uncertain situation taught [PC Name] to be affable, charming and responsive to others moods and needs; it also taught him to sympathize with other paupers. Eventually [PC Name] met a kindly knight, a member of the Blazing Peacock, who was impressed with the young orphan. Since that day, [PC Name] has lived and grown in the order; he believes in the ideals of Sune and the brotherhood's tenants but he is not a priest or devoted to any one person.

[PC Name] is an impeccable dresser, taking great care to dress in latest fashion and looking his best. A flatterer and charmer at heart, [PC Name] makes those he talks to feel as though they're the most important person in the world. He is overly-courtly to women, overly-confident in his abilities and overly-brave to the point of being nonsensical. In combat he supports his allies with buffs and heals and can hold his own in melee. He hopes to one day find out what happened to his family and include them into his new life.

On Knighthood in Faerun (from SCAG):
Though the term "knight" conjures ideas of mounted, heavily armored warriors of noble blood, most knightly orders in Faerun don't restrict their membership to such individuals. The goals and philosophies of the order are more important than the gear and fighting style of its members, and so most of these orders aren't limited to fighting types, but are open to all sorts of folk who are willing to battle and die for the order's cause. Other knighthoods are secular and non governmental organizations of warriors who follow a particular philosophy, or consider themselves a kind of extended family, similar to an order of monks.

On the Knights of the Blazing Peacock (adapted from the Knights of the Unicorn write-up in the SCAG):
The knighthood began as a fad of romantically minded sons and daughters of patriarch families in Baldur's Gate. On a lark, they took the unicorn goddess Lurue goddess of love and passion, Sune, as their mascot and went on various adventures for fun. The reality of the dangers they faced eventually sank in, as did Lurue's Sune's tenets. Over time the small group grew and spread, gaining a following in places as far as Cormyr. The Knights of the Blazing Peacock are chivalric adventurers who follow romantic ideals: life is to be relished and lived with laughter, quests should be taken on a dare, impossible dreams should be pursued for the sheer wonder of their completion, and everyone should be praised for their strengths and comforted in their weaknesses.

Steampunkette
2017-03-19, 08:48 PM
Personally? Pali-lock.

RP the Eldritch Blasts as blowing kisses. Red lips streaking through the air to strike your enemies!

As a Paladin of Sune, have less HP and more spellcasting than a standard pally by getting a few levels of Warlock, just have to talk to your DM about letting you refluff the warlock abilities as specifically Sunite. Maybe go Archfey for teleports and such, or GOO and call the telepathy "Heartspeaking" with the idea that you're speaking directly to their core...

Could be a ton of fun. Especially if you grab Devilsight so you can see Drow at the same range as they'll see you.

For race... I'd go Half-Elf and use some saving throw abilities, myself. Charms, mostly.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-19, 09:12 PM
Level 7, standard array, Bard and Paladin multiclass (or maybe single class, I'm not sure). Trying to choose from Half-Elf, Drow, Aasimar or Tiefling.

This is a potential character for Out of the Abyss. Currently the party is Half-Orc Barbarian/Fighter, Human Blood Hunter, and Wood-Elf Arcana Cleric.

Be chaotic good, get rich, bang everything that is alive and has an intelligence score high enough to be "with consent", build a harem, found a temple for sune, put your harem to work in your temple, raise the spawn you had with the ones that can give birth as acolytes of sune and spread the love through the realms.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-20, 06:28 AM
Be chaotic good, get rich, bang everything that is alive and has an intelligence score high enough to be "with consent", build a harem, found a temple for sune, put your harem to work in your temple, raise the spawn you had with the ones that can give birth as acolytes of sune and spread the love through the realms.

So create an npc Priest who looks and acts like Zapp Brannigan? Actually sounds pretty memorable and awesome.

On a more serious note, I think bard will def be part of the character but I'm not sure if multiclassing with Paladin works well.

Addaran
2017-03-20, 07:09 AM
So create an npc Priest who looks and acts like Zapp Brannigan? Actually sounds pretty memorable and awesome.

On a more serious note, I think bard will def be part of the character but I'm not sure if multiclassing with Paladin works well.

It should work well. It's kinda like the classic paladin/sorcerer or paladin/warlock to get more slots to smite. With high charisma, you'll have lots of inspiration dice, which is nice for a paladin wanting to support his group.

Steampunkette
2017-03-20, 09:12 AM

Sune is all about Romantic Love, not Sexual Love.

...You want Sharess for that.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-20, 09:17 AM
It should work well. It's kinda like the classic paladin/sorcerer or paladin/warlock to get more slots to smite. With high charisma, you'll have lots of inspiration dice, which is nice for a paladin wanting to support his group.

So what's a good breakdown of levels? Should Charisma or Strength be higher and should Constitution or Dexterity be the main tertiary stat? I was thinking Valor Bard 6/Paladin 1 but what does that really give me? On the other hand, not having extra attack at character level 7 would be pretty lame.

Maxilian
2017-03-20, 09:23 AM
I'm playing a character, that its kind of a Knight of Sune, to be more specific, he see himself as Sune (He is the Perfection in person, there is nothing as beautiful as him), and he is a Fighter, that goes around making statues of everything that is beautiful (That means, that he only makes statues of himself), and i will, eventually, MC into Runemaster (for the Earth rune), to be able to shape the earth into perfection (To be able to shape stone and things like that more easily), thematically.

Eldritch Knight that use a Shield with his face as his Improvised Weapon (Tavern Brawler -1d4-), Enchanted weapon so when he gets full dice damage, enemy falls prone (Noone can stand over such beauty), and got the Savage Attacker (only build i would ever use that feat) to make sure i get the max dice damage more often. -Eldritch Knight so i can get BB and basic attack-

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-20, 09:42 AM
I'm playing a character, that its kind of a Knight of Sune, to be more specific, he see himself as Sune (He is the Perfection in person, there is nothing as beautiful as him), and he is a Fighter, that goes around making statues of everything that is beautiful (That means, that he only makes statues of himself), and i will, eventually, MC into Runemaster (for the Earth rune), to be able to shape the earth into perfection (To be able to shape stone and things like that more easily), thematically.

Eldritch Knight that use a Shield with his face as his Improvised Weapon (Tavern Brawler -1d4-), Enchanted weapon so when he gets full dice damage, enemy falls prone (Noone can stand over such beauty), and got the Savage Attacker (only build i would ever use that feat) to make sure i get the max dice damage more often. -Eldritch Knight so i can get BB and basic attack-

How's that working out? It sounds like an awesome concept, right up until "I hit 'em with my face". I would not have thought to use Fighter/EK but I can see that working too. I want to be able to provide some support with the character, but I'm torn between exactly how to implement the idea.

Right now I'm leaning towards:
-Half-Elf or Aasimar;
-Bard 2; Devotion Paladin 5
-Was thinking about going into Valor Bard for 2 more levels and then the rest paladin. Maybe use sword and board?

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-20, 10:10 AM
Build it however you want to.
Knights and Priests and things are about RP. They're about beliefs. You can attach any class you want to. For example, I played a priestess of Tymora that had zero levels in Cleric.

Background and personality are who you are and what you do.
Character class is simply how you get it done.

Maxilian
2017-03-20, 10:18 AM
How's that working out? It sounds like an awesome concept, right up until "I hit 'em with my face". I would not have thought to use Fighter/EK but I can see that working too. I want to be able to provide some support with the character, but I'm torn between exactly how to implement the idea.

Its working quite well, the character is thematic enough to be fun to RP it and with it (For me and those around it) also, the "Hitting with my face -Its actually a Shield with a painting of, well, me" is for the sake of using a weapon with a low damage dice (1d4), to make it more likely to make people fall prone (also it gives me the option to use my bonus action to grapple to let them on the floor).

Right now I'm leaning towards:
-Half-Elf or Aasimar;
-Bard 2; Devotion Paladin 5
-Was thinking about going into Valor Bard for 2 more levels and then the rest paladin. Maybe use sword and board?

I would go with Aasimar, mostly because Aasimar are "Blessed" humans, and Sune was a human, so you may see yourself as Sune before Ascencion.

Also if you don't have Red hair, you are doing it wrong :P

Steampunkette
2017-03-20, 11:12 AM
Knights and Priests and things are about RP. They're about beliefs. You can attach any class you want to. For example, I played a priestess of Tymora that had zero levels in Cleric.

^QFT

(Gotta fill in the minimum)

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-20, 11:34 AM

While I know this is good and reasonable advice it doesn't really address the OP at all. Of course I can fluff and imagine whatever I want; the specific question is how would you mechanically represent this character given the constraints listed in the original post. A background of a musician who fell into the Sune-ite (?) temple and became X (any class) would of course work as a 'Champion of Sune'.

I want the PC to mechanically feel imbued as well as thru RP (I'm actually helping a PC make this character for the game I'm DMing). That's why I was proposing Bard or Paladin; Eldritch Knight and Warlock were both brought up and could make some sense too.

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-20, 11:49 AM
While I know this is good and reasonable advice it doesn't really address the OP at all. Of course I can fluff and imagine whatever I want; the specific question is how would you mechanically represent this character given the constraints listed in the original post. A background of a musician who fell into the Sune-ite (?) temple and became X (any class) would of course work as a 'Champion of Sune'.

I want the PC to mechanically feel imbued as well as thru RP (I'm actually helping a PC make this character for the game I'm DMing). That's why I was proposing Bard or Paladin; Eldritch Knight and Warlock were both brought up and could make some sense too.

Doesn't really address the OP at all?
You asked for a build built around things that are more of an RP factor, and included none of the details you just added here.
My point was that you can literally fit any character build you want into the broad description you gave.

Example:
Race: Human
BG: Far Traveler (or any other BG which includes a musical instrument proficiency)
Class: Druid
Subclass: Land druid, Grasslands
Growing up on a farm in the plains, you often ventured to and played in a nearby forest as a child, wherein you were taken in and tutored by a dryad. This dryad saw in you a love for all things beautiful, and an almost hippy-esque love for love itself, and instead of enchanting you she sought to teach you her ways so as to hopefully sway the humanfolk from their normally destructive ways. Taking to this training quickly and easily you naturally found favor with Sune, and now you wander the world using the nature magic the dryad taught you to bathe the world in beauty and love in Sune's name.

X3r4ph
2017-03-20, 12:10 PM
Am I the only one thinking Slaanesh?

Edit: Great Old One Warlock Pact of the Blade / Paladin Treachery

Grab Claw of Acamar Invocation so you can ravage opponents with pleasure until they can't move.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-20, 12:19 PM
Doesn't really address the OP at all?
You asked for a build built around things that are more of an RP factor, and included none of the details you just added here.
My point was that you can literally fit any character build you want into the broad description you gave.

Example:
Race: Human
BG: Far Traveler (or any other BG which includes a musical instrument proficiency)
Class: Druid
Subclass: Land druid, Grasslands
Growing up on a farm in the plains, you often ventured to and played in a nearby forest as a child, wherein you were taken in and tutored by a dryad. This dryad saw in you a love for all things beautiful, and an almost hippy-esque love for love itself, and instead of enchanting you she sought to teach you her ways so as to hopefully sway the humanfolk from their normally destructive ways. Taking to this training quickly and easily you naturally found favor with Sune, and now you wander the world using the nature magic the dryad taught you to bathe the world in beauty and love in Sune's name.

First let me just say, I appreciate your taking the time to comment on what is a build choice for a game your not playing in. I asked for help creating a 'Knight of Sune' and listed the following constraints (which are in the OP): character level 7, I was inclined to use the Bard or Paladin or multiclass to mechanically fit the theme we're going for but am definitely looking for other suggestions. I also considered the following choices for race: Tiefling, Aasimar, Half-Elf and Drow.

Now like I said, it is good advice to just say, "play whatever class you want, the rest isn't important". However what I'm really looking for is a "what mechanical pieces would you use to represent this concept". Similar to when someone starts a thread that says, "I'd like to build Ant Man/Wolverine/Thor/etc", I hardly ever see a response about, "well just play any class and pretend the long sword damage is coming from your fists". I'm sure that WOULD work, just not what you'd expect to see.

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-20, 12:23 PM
First let me just say, I appreciate your taking the time to comment on what is a build choice for a game your not playing in. I asked for help creating a 'Knight of Sune' and listed the following constraints (which are in the OP): character level 7, I was inclined to use the Bard or Paladin or multiclass to mechanically fit the theme we're going for but am definitely looking for other suggestions. I also considered the following choices for race: Tiefling, Aasimar, Half-Elf and Drow.

Now like I said, it is good advice to just say, "play whatever class you want, the rest isn't important". However what I'm really looking for is a "what mechanical pieces would you use to represent this concept". Similar to when someone starts a thread that says, "I'd like to build Ant Man/Wolverine/Thor/etc", I hardly ever see a response about, "well just play any class and pretend the long sword damage is coming from your fists". I'm sure that WOULD work, just not what you'd expect to see.

The OP doesn't make it clear that you have decided. The OP makes it clear that you want advice and that you had a few possible ideas.
I provided advice, which was that you can do what you set out to with literally any class you wanted.

Okay, so you want build advice specifically for a level 7 bard/pally who is a knight of Sune.
So why is it that you need help? Go ahead and build yourself a level 7 bard/pally.
But I will note that you're doing it backwards. Characters are always, and I mean ALWAYS more enjoyable when you build that person first and then add mechanics afterward. When you focus on the mechanics first, you're much less invested in the character. Because, let's face it, you don't have a character, you have class levels.
The druid example I gave shows that this is an actual person with motivation rather than just numbers and abilities.
Knight of Sune is not a character, it's a concept. Who is your Knight of Sune? After you know that, then you'll know what classes he should be.

Talyn
2017-03-20, 02:30 PM
I'd go half-elf for the stat boosts and the resistances. Charisma and Constitution should be your priorities. Dexterity would be my recommended dump stat (you'll be wearing plate), but you could go Intelligence instead if that fits your character concept better. You only need a 13 Strength to multiclass with Paladin - I wouldn't recommend making it higher than 14. Buffs, healing, and utility spells are going to be where you shine. Caveat: if your DM is using the optional STR requirements for armor, you'll want the STR 15 so you can wear plate without penalty.

Class levels: Paladin 4 (Oath based on what party role you want to fill, any of them could be a fit for Sune), Bard 3. Whether you go Lore or Valor bard depends on whether you intend to keep leveling Paladin or not. If you stay as Paladin 4/Bard X for the rest of your career, go Valor for the Extra Attack and other combat boosts. If you want to keep taking any paladin levels, I'd go with Lore instead (since you'll get Extra Attack from your paladin levels) to boost your utility.

Paladin and Bard have a ton of synergy - the extra spell levels from Bard make Smiting awesome, all your spells trigger off of Charisma.

Your level 4 Feat/ASI is going to depend, again, on your role in the party. If you want to enhance your survivability, take Resilient: Constitution. If you want to get into the fray, take Alert. Otherwise, pump CHA to max out your spell casting and diplomacy.

Addaran
2017-03-20, 02:45 PM
So what's a good breakdown of levels? Should Charisma or Strength be higher and should Constitution or Dexterity be the main tertiary stat? I was thinking Valor Bard 6/Paladin 1 but what does that really give me? On the other hand, not having extra attack at character level 7 would be pretty lame.

For that, i can't really help you. I know that in theory it should work well, since people multiclass paladin with pure caster to get more smites and that they both share charisma for casting/utility. edit: But i don't have any experience playing multiclassed character or paladin. (forgot half of the sentance while writting it =P)

If you want more paladin levels (at least 5) i'd probably go lore bard to not waste double proficiency in armor/weapon and extra attack. If you go for few paladin levels, valor bard sounds like a good bet.

Not having extra attack until later will hurt or not depending how you see your character more. Mainly a support who cast spells, give inspiration and tank? Or a strong martial with magical backup? Same goes for charisma or strenght first.

Con vs dex, i'd probably go con. Dex won't matter AC wise and with bard, you can use magic instead for ranged attacks. (vicious mockery, magical secret, MI or slotted attack spells). Con is always usefull, especially for front-liner and caster.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-20, 06:37 PM

Oh, well... a Conquest Paladin of Loviatar would be way cooler, but it would be so edgy that it would Evil (or at least LN as the page on the wikia shows).

Corran
2017-03-20, 11:29 PM
Level 7, standard array, Bard and Paladin multiclass (or maybe single class, I'm not sure). Trying to choose from Half-Elf, Drow, Aasimar or Tiefling.

This is a potential character for Out of the Abyss. Currently the party is Half-Orc Barbarian/Fighter, Human Blood Hunter, and Wood-Elf Arcana Cleric.
Have a look at the oath of the ancients, might be exactly just what you are looking for. Very thematic, and with a good charisma score and performance proficiency (and a musical instrument or two from background) can be all you need from a mechanics perspective to bring that character to life. (And 7 is a good level for ancients)

Halfelf and aasimar feel like the most thematically appropriate choices, halfelf is a bit better stat-wise but aasimar has unbeatable flavour.

Dappershire
2017-03-21, 01:12 PM

Actually, she covers Passionate love too. So as long as you're passionate about your love making, you're good.

As far as topic at hand, I've always enjoyed the straight Paladin, for Sune. Only Chaotic Goddess allowed to have a paladin order, back in the days when alignment mattered. Lawful Good, choosing to see that side of his Goddess. Unrequited Love, star crossed teenagers, protecting sites and objects of beauty, and of course, Smiting the literal f*** out of rapists, spouse beaters, and anyone else abusing the concept of love in an evil way.

Steampunkette
2017-03-21, 01:27 PM
Actually, she covers Passionate love too. So as long as you're passionate about your love making, you're good.

As far as topic at hand, I've always enjoyed the straight Paladin, for Sune. Only Chaotic Goddess allowed to have a paladin order, back in the days when alignment mattered. Lawful Good, choosing to see that side of his Goddess. Unrequited Love, star crossed teenagers, protecting sites and objects of beauty, and of course, Smiting the literal f*** out of rapists, spouse beaters, and anyone else abusing the concept of love in an evil way.

Passionate Love =/= Boinking everyone you can every chance you get.

Dappershire
2017-03-21, 01:38 PM
Passionate Love =/= Boinking everyone you can every chance you get.

Unless that is what your passionate about. Heh.

However, you're likely to break up a marriage that way, or something equally displeasing to Sune. I will admit it is dangerous ground to boink everyone indiscriminately. But as long as they are pretty and willing, and you're not interfering with the other concepts of Sune, a Zap Brannigan is A-Okay.

Steampunkette
2017-03-21, 01:43 PM
Sune isn't about what you love to do. But how you love when it comes to Passion.

I doubt Sune would support "Passionately Loving" animals in the sense suggested, for example. No matter how much you might love your dog, bestiality would still be against her dogma.

Passionate Love is hard immediate strong now love. Like the love between people when they first fall in love and everything is focused on that new aspect of their relationship. While a more quiet, simple, love evolves over the rest of their relationship.

Sune isn't about "Loving doing this activity (Sex)" she's "Loving this person, these people, in these different wonderful ways"

For a real "I'm gonna bang everything with a pulse and probably some intelligent undead, too" Sharess is the way to go.

Maxilian
2017-03-21, 03:18 PM
If you decide to go Bard, i would recommend going with the Bard UA (College of Glamour), it goes really well with the Beauty part of the followers of Sune.

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf

As you are the DM you are the one who have the word when it comes to allowing or not allowing this.

Note: Why are you choosing between this races? Half-Elf, Drow, Aasimar or Tiefling? Any particular reason? or mostly cause you want the CHA boost? I still think Human (or Vuman) its the best option -Mostly because of RP-, also Half-Elf does the trick.

Maxilian
2017-03-21, 03:22 PM
Sune isn't about what you love to do. But how you love when it comes to Passion.

I doubt Sune would support "Passionately Loving" animals in the sense suggested, for example. No matter how much you might love your dog, bestiality would still be against her dogma.

As long as there is no mutual love this is true (But if you awaken your dog and he/she fall in love with you, that may be different, still weird though)

Steampunkette
2017-03-21, 03:34 PM
As long as there is no mutual love this is true (But if you awaken your dog and he/she fall in love with you, that may be different, still weird though)

I ... dunno.

I feel like there's enough of a social power dynamic at play to make it still totally unacceptable.

I had to rewrite that statement several times to avoid horrific out of context quoting...

Dappershire
2017-03-21, 03:57 PM
I feel like there's enough of a social power dynamic at play to make it still totally unacceptable.
One could argue that about any loving relationship though.
Awakened Animals might not meet the intelligence threshold for choice, so the matter might be neg in any case.

But a Zap Brannigan type character isn't known for sleeping with anything with a pulse. He's known for wanting to sleep with anyone he finds beautiful. And he finds anything with a pulse, non-protruding sex organs, and bipedal movement, as beautiful. -That- is in keeping with Sune's teachings.

Not good for a Knight, obviously. But still Sunitian at heart.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-22, 07:36 AM
The OP doesn't make it clear that you have decided. The OP makes it clear that you want advice and that you had a few possible ideas.
I provided advice, which was that you can do what you set out to with literally any class you wanted.

Okay, so you want build advice specifically for a level 7 bard/pally who is a knight of Sune.
So why is it that you need help? Go ahead and build yourself a level 7 bard/pally.
But I will note that you're doing it backwards. Characters are always, and I mean ALWAYS more enjoyable when you build that person first and then add mechanics afterward. When you focus on the mechanics first, you're much less invested in the character. Because, let's face it, you don't have a character, you have class levels.
The druid example I gave shows that this is an actual person with motivation rather than just numbers and abilities.
Knight of Sune is not a character, it's a concept. Who is your Knight of Sune? After you know that, then you'll know what classes he should be.

I have updated the OP to include the background information for the character. I did not include it originally because who reads all that stuff in a forum post? I kinda think most people just respond to the tin without reading through a thread. I was asking for advice on the build, like how should the level breakdown be accomplished in the most effective way? Bard 6/Paladin1? Is Tiefling that much worse or better than Half-Elf? Thanks for the help you have provided.

I'd go half-elf for the stat boosts and the resistances. Charisma and Constitution should be your priorities. Dexterity would be my recommended dump stat (you'll be wearing plate), but you could go Intelligence instead if that fits your character concept better. You only need a 13 Strength to multiclass with Paladin - I wouldn't recommend making it higher than 14. Buffs, healing, and utility spells are going to be where you shine. Caveat: if your DM is using the optional STR requirements for armor, you'll want the STR 15 so you can wear plate without penalty.

Class levels: Paladin 4 (Oath based on what party role you want to fill, any of them could be a fit for Sune), Bard 3. Whether you go Lore or Valor bard depends on whether you intend to keep leveling Paladin or not. If you stay as Paladin 4/Bard X for the rest of your career, go Valor for the Extra Attack and other combat boosts. If you want to keep taking any paladin levels, I'd go with Lore instead (since you'll get Extra Attack from your paladin levels) to boost your utility.

Paladin and Bard have a ton of synergy - the extra spell levels from Bard make Smiting awesome, all your spells trigger off of Charisma.

Your level 4 Feat/ASI is going to depend, again, on your role in the party. If you want to enhance your survivability, take Resilient: Constitution. If you want to get into the fray, take Alert. Otherwise, pump CHA to max out your spell casting and diplomacy.

If you do this build with this combination and you don't have a maxed STR or DEX how do you make your melee attacks? Are Smites CHA-based? Do you think maintaining concentration will be a problem for a PC like this? Could you describe a bit of their synergy and some pro's/con's? I personally like the idea of a Eldritch Knight mc Enchanter wizard but the PC isn't for me and I think he likes the feel of the Bard MC Paladin a bit more.

Have a look at the oath of the ancients, might be exactly just what you are looking for. Very thematic, and with a good charisma score and performance proficiency (and a musical instrument or two from background) can be all you need from a mechanics perspective to bring that character to life. (And 7 is a good level for ancients)

Halfelf and aasimar feel like the most thematically appropriate choices, halfelf is a bit better stat-wise but aasimar has unbeatable flavour.

Yea I think if I were going to recommend Paladin 7 I would be very tempted to take Oath of the Ancients, fluff and mechanics feel pretty close to what we're describing in the OP.

So a third vote for straight paladin; would you recommend a DEX or STR based PC?

If you decide to go Bard, i would recommend going with the Bard UA (College of Glamour), it goes really well with the Beauty part of the followers of Sune.

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf

As you are the DM you are the one who have the word when it comes to allowing or not allowing this.

Note: Why are you choosing between this races? Half-Elf, Drow, Aasimar or Tiefling? Any particular reason? or mostly cause you want the CHA boost? I still think Human (or Vuman) its the best option -Mostly because of RP-, also Half-Elf does the trick.

I will read through this carefully and consider it! Thank you for the suggestion; I have no problem with UA or homebrew if it's reasonably well done and not OP for the other characters. The PC races are just what the dude likes personally; "no short races, no humans, nothing lizard-y, actually lets go with one of these four".

Pronounceable
2017-03-22, 07:40 AM
http://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2017/01/26062947/sailor-moon-fan-club.jpg

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-22, 08:45 AM
http://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2017/01/26062947/sailor-moon-fan-club.jpg

I need to get up-to-speed on my media references. Is Sailor Moon someone who kinda fits this description too?

N810
2017-03-22, 02:12 PM
Paladin/Bard

And ham it up like Vash the Stampede or Space Dandy.

Dappershire
2017-03-23, 05:26 AM
So a third vote for straight paladin; would you recommend a DEX or STR based PC?

I would stick with STR. I find it the most useful build for Pal. And its thematically apropos, as the ladies just love a strongly built, handsome man in armor(skip chrome, go with grey steel, gold{colored} trim. Diamond pattern padded tabard {say that a thousand times fast}, in scarlet, with a golden dragon motif.)
Don't forget the Helm has to be faceless, a strict DM may lessen your armor's effectiveness because of that, but you could probably argue for benefits that equal the demerits out.
And for Roleplay's sake, I feel you should restrict yourself from physically attacking any enemy with a 16 or higher Charisma score (Unless, y'know, they exude evil out their sexy sexy face).

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-23, 08:19 AM
I would stick with STR. I find it the most useful build for Pal. And its thematically apropos, as the ladies just love a strongly built, handsome man in armor(skip chrome, go with grey steel, gold{colored} trim. Diamond pattern padded tabard {say that a thousand times fast}, in scarlet, with a golden dragon motif.)
Don't forget the Helm has to be faceless, a strict DM may lessen your armor's effectiveness because of that, but you could probably argue for benefits that equal the demerits out.
And for Roleplay's sake, I feel you should restrict yourself from physically attacking any enemy with a 16 or higher Charisma score (Unless, y'know, they exude evil out their sexy sexy face).

Oh man that's hilarious. The player told me the characters favorite color is lilac, which is just perfect. So Half-Elf Paladin, Oath-of-the-Ancients mc Bard after level 7. Thanks all for your time and assistance, I will provide the build for review and suggestions later.