PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mystic Assassin Builds?

Rotsu
2017-03-19, 08:45 PM
I read the UA, sat and thought about it. Now I find myself thinking about a rogue assassin/mystic multi-class or some other type of super one round nova-strike-force. Those D10s are really nice looking, and I wonder what the maximum damage in one round would be, using mystic is a must., of course. So what say you, internet? how much DPR could we squeeze out of this class?
Thanks in advance!
Rotsu

QUARE
2017-03-19, 10:18 PM
Bugbear Mystic Wu Jen 9, Fighter 2, Hexblade Warlock 2 w/ Curse Bringer, Assassin Rogue 3. 2 ASIs both in Strength for 20 total. Dueling Fighting Style:

0. Surprise target
1. Action Surge
2. Bonus Action use 7 psi to make 5th level spell slot
3. Smite with Curse Bringer
4. 4d6 (Great Sword) + 20d8 (Smiting) + 4d6 (Rogue Sneak Attack) + 4d6 (Bugbear Sneak Attack) + 2d8 (Potent Psionics) + 7 = 148 Average
5. Bonus Action use 7 psi to make 5th level spell slot
6. Smite with Curse Bringer
7. 4d6 (Great Sword) + 20d8 (Smiting) + 7 = 111 Average
8. Laugh

This gives an average damage of 259. This actually isn't too resource intensive. If you already didn't kill them, you can Smite a total of 7 times. Pretty good.

nmitchell2
2017-04-18, 05:12 AM
Bugbear Mystic Wu Jen 9, Fighter 2, Hexblade Warlock 2 w/ Curse Bringer, Assassin Rogue 3. 2 ASIs both in Strength for 20 total. Dueling Fighting Style:

0. Surprise target
1. Action Surge
2. Bonus Action use 7 psi to make 5th level spell slot
3. Smite with Curse Bringer
4. 4d6 (Great Sword) + 20d8 (Smiting) + 4d6 (Rogue Sneak Attack) + 4d6 (Bugbear Sneak Attack) + 2d8 (Potent Psionics) + 7 = 148 Average
5. Bonus Action use 7 psi to make 5th level spell slot
6. Smite with Curse Bringer
7. 4d6 (Great Sword) + 20d8 (Smiting) + 7 = 111 Average
8. Laugh

This gives an average damage of 259. This actually isn't too resource intensive. If you already didn't kill them, you can Smite a total of 7 times. Pretty good.

Action Surge doesn't give you two bonus actions per turn on top of two actions, rather it swaps your bonus action for a full action. Still powerful because it's the only way to get a full Attack action or Cast A Spell action twice per round, but not ridiculous like this suggests. Also, you can't Sneak Attack with a Greatsword as it specifies finesse or ranged weapons.

I haven't extensively thought this through but I think the best way to go would be Mystic (Order of the Soul Knife) 9/Ranger 2/Rogue (Assassin) 9. Attacking with your Soul Knife and having Psionic Weapon as your Psychic Focus, this gives you;
2d8 (Soul Knife) + 14d10 (Lethal Strike) + 12d6 (Sneak Attack & Hunter's Mark) + 12 (Str/Dex mod + Augmented Weapon + Hone The Blade) = 9 + 99 + 42 + 12 = 162 average damage

EDIT - I forgot Potent Psionics which adds an extra 2d8 damage, bumping the average damage up to 171.

joaber
2017-04-18, 10:20 AM
Mystic isn't the better option to nova, they lose they bonus action and 7pp for 7d10. At end tier, quick eldritch blast could do 4d10+4d6+20 for 2 sp.
Warlock invocations do more damage and don't need bonus action

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-18, 10:47 AM
well if you look at something like bestial claws thats more than nova. But i think hey just left out he bonus action or action use. RAW though you could be mystic 20 any type of build you want, as long as you have this discipline and do an extra (1d10 + str)x71 or however much you want to blow on THAT guy. thats an average of 603.5 with a str of 16. Then have fun with the rest of your turn doing everything else you wanted.

i hope the next mystic comes in a new book and they don't forget to put action economy in there. this is silly.

joaber
2017-04-18, 10:55 AM
well if you look at something like bestial claws thats more than nova. But i think hey just left out he bonus action or action use. RAW though you could be mystic 20 any type of build you want, as long as you have this discipline and do an extra (1d10 + str)x71 or however much you want to blow on THAT guy. thats an average of 603.5 with a str of 16. Then have fun with the rest of your turn doing everything else you wanted.

i hope the next mystic comes in a new book and they don't forget to put action economy in there. this is silly.

Yep, is really obvious that they forget the action part. But RAW it a really soft DM you can burn 71 attacks. Add things like hex and hexblade curse for more 1d6+6 in each attack

Puh Laden
2017-04-18, 10:56 AM
Action Surge doesn't give you two bonus actions per turn on top of two actions, rather it swaps your bonus action for a full action. Still powerful because it's the only way to get a full Attack action or Cast A Spell action twice per round, but not ridiculous like this suggests. Also, you can't Sneak Attack with a Greatsword as it specifies finesse or ranged weapons.

I haven't extensively thought this through but I think the best way to go would be Mystic (Order of the Soul Knife) 9/Ranger 2/Rogue (Assassin) 9. Attacking with your Soul Knife and having Psionic Weapon as your Psychic Focus, this gives you;
2d8 (Soul Knife) + 14d10 (Lethal Strike) + 12d6 (Sneak Attack & Hunter's Mark) + 12 (Str/Dex mod + Augmented Weapon + Hone The Blade) = 9 + 99 + 42 + 12 = 162 average damage

EDIT - I forgot Potent Psionics which adds an extra 2d8 damage, bumping the average damage up to 171.

Action Surge gives you an additional action, it doesn't use your bonus action and it doesn't add an additional bonus action either.