PDA

View Full Version : Regarding tavern brawler feat

Desteplo
2017-03-20, 04:33 AM
My player is a Goliath, bear totem barbarian. He's at 20 strength. X15, x2, x2 he can lift 1200 pounds no problem. That's chump change.
-fighting giants they throw rocks. At 3d10.
-my player took tavern brawler. Would you rule giant rocks as 3d10 to throw back? Or would You drop them to d4.
-same goes for a beaten ankheg. It's a large creature. So the "weapon" would have reach. But is it also a d4?
-you pull a tree out from its roots. D4?
-maybe it isn't intended to be used with EVERYTHING but they mention using goblins in the description of improvised weapons.
-what are some limits you would put on this build or how would you apply a damage scaling effect for a build designed to be hulk.

Arkhios
2017-03-20, 04:43 AM
Part of a giant's damage comes from their size, not just from the weapon used.

While a Goliath could easily lift a rock a Giant just threw, it would still be cumbersome to throw back, which would reduce the damage.

For comparison, an Oni (Ogre Mage) is a type of Giant and wields a Glaive. Glaive is normally a 1d10 weapon, but an Oni is Large, and its Glaive deals 2d10. If a Giant that threw the stone is Huge, it kinda makes sense that the Stone being thrown back by a Goliath would have its damage reduced to 1d10, since Huge is three times as big as Medium, while Large is twice as big as Medium. 3 x 1d10 = 3d10.

At least that's how I would see it.

As to the size of other object, I would improvise the above logic and use damage sizes comparable to a weapon used by a medium character. 1d12 or 2d6 at most if using a Large creature as a weapon. Sure, it's Large and a massive lump of mass, but the accuracy suffers with the size, no matter how strong you are.

Desteplo
2017-03-20, 04:54 AM
Part of a giant's damage comes from their size, not just from the weapon used.

While a Goliath could easily lift a rock a Giant just threw, it would still be cumbersome to throw back, which would reduce the damage.

For comparison, an Oni (Ogre Mage) is a type of Giant and wields a Glaive. Glaive is normally a 1d10 weapon, but an Oni is Large, and its Glaive deals 2d10. If a Giant that threw the stone is Huge, it kinda makes sense that the Stone being thrown back by a Goliath would have its damage reduced to 1d10, since Huge is three times as big as Medium, while Large is twice as big as Medium. 3 x 1d10 = 3d10.

At least that's how I would see it.

As to the size of other object, I would improvise the above logic and use damage sizes comparable to a weapon used by a medium character. 1d12 or 2d6 at most if using a Large creature as a weapon. Sure, it's Large and a massive lump of mass, but the accuracy suffers with the size, no matter how strong you are.

Scaling size per die makes sense. It would be harder for him to wind up the throw.
-how about throwing a boulder 10ft by 10ft? Would that be a d10 dex save throw in that area?

Arkhios
2017-03-20, 04:57 AM
Scaling size per die makes sense. It would be harder for him to wind up the throw.
-how about throwing a boulder 10ft by 10ft? Would that be a d10 dex save throw in that area?

It could be. I think you might be able to aim the throw against one target, but others in that area might have to roll a save to avoid being hit as well. A DC might be reasonable with 8 + your proficiency (since with tavern brawler you are technically proficient with it) + your Strength.

Desteplo
2017-03-20, 05:21 AM
It could be. I think you might be able to aim the throw against one target, but others in that area might have to roll a save to avoid being hit as well. A DC might be reasonable with 8 + your proficiency (since with tavern brawler you are technically proficient with it) + your Strength.

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

Quoxis
2017-03-20, 05:40 AM
I'm afb here, but are all improvised weapons restricted to 1d4? I thought that was a guideline for unarmed punches and stuff like smacking a dude with a random fist sized rock or a mug of ale. Improvised weapons should be treated like their closest real weapon (broomstick = quarterstaff, frying pan = club...) as far as i remember, but that doesn't help much with throwing rocks, just as a sidenote.
Lifting something and forcefully throwing it are two different things (see weightlifting), but i'll try to get information about the boulders and throwing stuff and maybe even get physics involved. This sounds way too interesting to not dive deeper into it.