PDA

View Full Version : D&D Economics: At What Price Oxen?

hymer
2017-03-20, 05:56 AM
VgtM has the ox as a cow variant (p. 207-208), which it would seem should have a gp price. The players may capture some and sell them any day now.

Oxen have an impressive carrying capacity of 1080 lbs, making them approach the strength of an elephant (1320 lbs) for draught animal purposes, and at size large rather than huge. Oxen are twice as strong as draught horses. On the downside, they move only at a 30’ pace, where elephants and horses manage 40’.
In reality, it seems the draught horse came to be preferred over oxen once the right harness was constructed, which you may decide to put down to the speed advantage, or their better use as riding beasts, or other real life factors.

So my question to you, dear playgrounders, is (deceptively?) simple: At what price oxen?

For reference (from PHB p. 157):
Donkey/mule, 40’, 8gp, 420 lbs
Draught horse, 40’, 50gp, 540 lbs
Elephant, 40’, 200gp, 1320 lbs
Oxen, 30’, ? gp, 1080 lbs

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-20, 06:21 AM
deceptively
from PHB p. 157

Indeed. PHB 157 lists oxen at 15gp each, but appears to imply they are not suitable as mounts or draft animals.

hymer
2017-03-20, 07:34 AM
Indeed. PHB 157 lists oxen at 15gp each, but appears to imply they are not suitable as mounts or draft animals.

I'm assuming that particular ox is meant to be eaten, given that it's a tradegood, whereas Volo's ox is described as being primarily for draught purposes. Well spotted, regardless. :smallsmile:

Tetrasodium
2017-03-20, 09:30 AM
I'm assuming that particular ox is meant to be eaten, given that it's a tradegood, whereas Volo's ox is described as being primarily for draught purposes. Well spotted, regardless. :smallsmile:

It's also possible/likely that the 15gp is based on the value of a "grade A ready for sale" type specimen. that price could be adjusted as needed for your group's level range with simply words like scrawny, mangy, inbred, malnourished, mistreated, or just "weird". A farmer might be willing to buy 25 oxen,but if there is something off about them, he's going to need to build a pen to keep them separate from his healthy herd & care for them till recovery is complete.

Unoriginal
2017-03-20, 11:16 AM
So my question to you, dear playgrounders, is (deceptively?) simple: At what price oxen?

For reference (from PHB p. 157):
Donkey/mule, 40’, 8gp, 420 lbs
Draught horse, 40’, 50gp, 540 lbs
Elephant, 40’, 200gp, 1320 lbs
Oxen, 30’, ? gp, 1080 lbs

If you want a co-relation between gp and the carrying capacity, it appears that the draught horse is worth 0.092 gp per lbs, while an elephant is worth 0.15 gp per lbs and a donkey 0.019 gp per lbs.

Considering that the oxen is slow, usually cannot be used as a mount, probably eat more than a horse, take more space, and some other factors, I'd say that they're closer of the level of utility of the mule than the one of the horse, while the elephant require a lot of specialized maintenance and living environment.

So, if way say that pound for pound, the oxen is worth as much as a donkey, the oxen would be worth 20 gp.

MrFahrenheit
2017-03-20, 11:39 AM
Oh man...this makes my idea of a gp-less campaign all the more exciting: "you know that herd of 100 oxen the party was corralling to town so you could buy that suit of full plate? A pride of lions happened."

gfishfunk
2017-03-20, 11:43 AM
Wikipedia provides a comparison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox#Uses_and_comparison_to_other_draught_animals). I would price them the same as the darft horse: at 50gp. Less speed for more carrying capacity seems like an even trade.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-20, 11:53 AM
Oh man...this makes my idea of a gp-less campaign all the more exciting: "you know that herd of 100 oxen the party was corralling to town so you could buy that suit of full plate? A pride of lions happened."

"I told you we should have loaded up on saffron back in the City of Spices!"

hymer
2017-03-21, 06:43 AM
"I told you we should have loaded up on saffron back in the City of Spices!"

"And get savaged by angry Orlesian chefs? Anyway, spice can't swim across a ford, now can it?" :smallwink:

Thanks everyone for the wise and noble thoughts!