PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar Equipment

The Mormegil
2007-07-26, 02:17 PM
I'm going to play a new campaign. Basically, the DM saw X-Men I, II and III all in a row and said: "Hey, what a wonderful idea this is: mutants in D&D."
I don't know why, but I'm in it, so I have to think of a character. :smallconfused:
The rules are these: 11th level start, plus an archetype of LA+5, totally homebrewed. As my companions started wandering how to cheat (and to talk about X-Men, and in particular someone called Sentry...I feel ignorant:smallfrown: ) I was wandering how to spend my LA.
I turned up to play a sort of shapeshifter that also changes battle capacities: I got a full blaster form (yeah, I totally want to suck...), a full combat shape and a gish.
I also wanted him to create weapons out of nothing, much like a mindblade.
I and the DM talked, and he explained me the campaign world. It appears Magic Items are rare. So I thought: hey, what a wonderful idea I had by making my own blades...
But now, I'm stuck. My character already sucks a little, expecially because I know what my team-mates are capable of. So I need someone to give me an advice on my equipment. All right till here?

What I need is a detailled 16th level equipment, possibly following the subsequent feat, but not necessary. I was thinking of taking 4 objects (I can always have one, plus another in combat and gish shapes), that followed these guidelines, but I'm not really good with it: a really powerful weapon (+10, but with which enchantments?), a rather useful ranged weapon (splitting is the best I saw), an initiative weapon (eager initiative warning +1 with some magic items incorporated) to have always at hand and a second handed weapon that buffs my AC (that is anyway ridiculous, since I got no magic equipment and don't want armor check penalties).

So: here's my little homebrewed broken feat.
CREATE PSYCHIC WEAPONS [Mutant, Create Object]Req.:being me.
Benefit: this is just like any other create object feat as for time, gp and XP to pay, but it allows to create magical Gunblades(:smallwink: ).
These Gunblades (which are both a short sword and a 6 shots heavy crossbow) can be enchanted in any way: they can be magic weapons and/or have other objects functions, like increasing stats and the like. They are anyway limited by a level, that is equal to the ECL of the wielder.
These are modifiers to that level:
Magic weapon:
enchantment bonus = level
+1 = +1
+2 = +2
+3 = +4
+4 = +5
+5 = +6
+6 = +8
+7 = +9
+8 = +11
+9 = +13
+10 = +15
Enchantment bonus on ability scores:
enchantment bonus = level
+1 = +1
+2 = +2
+3 = +4
+4 = +5
+5 = +7
+6 = +8
+7 = +10
+8 = +11
Other:
Minor object power = +3
Medium object power = +5
Major object power = +10

All clear? Then please help me!

The Mormegil
2007-07-26, 02:20 PM
-- for other eventual infos--

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 02:32 PM
Waiit.. how do all these work together in one weapon? Can I have a +1 dancing gunblade of flaming acid shocks that gives +8 dexterity?

The Mormegil
2007-07-26, 03:27 PM
That's exactly the point. I DID say broken, right?

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-26, 03:45 PM
D20 Future actually has rules for mutations, you can check that out here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd

It might help.

Shrew
2007-07-26, 03:49 PM
There is the d20 system Mutants and Masterminds. It is a decent system that would solve all your problems.

WhyBother
2007-07-26, 03:54 PM
It might help to know what the other players think they can get away with as far as powers, items, etc.

For the record, the Sentry is a non-mutant superhero who got his powers from a secret serum that gave him the power of "a million exploding suns". Flight, speed, superstrength, godlike psychic and tactical abilities. His powers caused the dark side of his personality to manifest itself physically as his arch-nemesis, the Void. Even he thought he was too powerful, so he essentially [i]erased himself from existence[i] (though that's a simplification). The idea is that he's so powerful he has trouble coping with the "punch the bad guy and go home" mentality of a lot of other heroes, and frankly he scares himself. In other words, broken in ways that haven't been recorded yet. If any of players get away with this, they have won.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 03:58 PM
It might help to know what the other players think they can get away with as far as powers, items, etc.

For the record, the Sentry is a non-mutant superhero who got his powers from a secret serum that gave him the power of "a million exploding suns". Flight, speed, superstrength, godlike psychic and tactical abilities. His powers caused the dark side of his personality to manifest itself physically as his arch-nemesis, the Void. Even he thought he was too powerful, so he essentially [i]erased himself from existence[i] (though that's a simplification). The idea is that he's so powerful he has trouble coping with the "punch the bad guy and go home" mentality of a lot of other heroes, and frankly he scares himself. In other words, broken in ways that haven't been recorded yet. If any of players get away with this, they have won.

Technically, ways like that have been recorded. Liiike
Total damage > (2.5*10^36530)^^73600, using Knuth's up-arrow notation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_arrow)

ElHugo
2007-07-26, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure if I really want to know, but... Where the hell does that much damage come from? And what's the hardness/hp of All Of Existence anyways, this is more damage then infinity. :smalleek:

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 07:50 PM
Here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=573196)

It's really. Damn. Complex. I can sorta see how it works, but they had to use nonlinear differential equations to find damage, apparently.

To put these numbers into perspective it is useful to remember that there are less then 10^100 particles in the known universe. This number surpasses that by such a large amount it is nearly incomprehensible. I wish I could draw any parallels to some real world example but this number dwarfs EVERYTHING. If you take every single large number that represents some real world thing, that has ever been written down, and you multiply it by every other large number and then take that to the power of itself it will still be so infinitesimally small when compared to THIS number as to be completely insignificant. If there was any way to convert points of damage into energy (say Joules) it would be enough to fill the known universe with the same conditions as existed 10^-64th of a second after the Big Bang. No particles could exist. This is probably enough damage to bring down the boundaries separating the planes - it would destroy the Multiverse. Good job LoP & Psly4mne!

The Mormegil
2007-07-28, 09:40 AM
D20 Future actually has rules for mutations, you can check that out here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd

It might help.

Thanks alot, but I wasn't searching for actual rules, I think my DM is more ok with broken homebrews, as I know him he'll enjoy creating Uber-monsters to kill me in a few seconds...

Anyway I'll point this out to him.

However, what I was asking was more like "Gear Optimization Thread". Y'know, something like: "You'd like a speed weapon instead of a flaming burst keen weapon" or the like.

Eventually, I came up with this:

SUN DRAGON
Fire burst surge keen heavenly burst +5 Sun Gunblade

RISING PHOENIX
Searching splitting distance quick loading +1 Gunblade; +5 Dexterity

GUARDIAN SOUL I - SILVER EAGLE
Initiative eager warning +1 Gunblade; +3 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence; gives benefits of Wanderer's Robe and Belt of Battle

GUARDIAN SOUL II - BLACK BASTION
Parrying defensive surge +1 Gunblade; +4 Strength, +2 Constitution; gives benefits as Gauntlets of the Balanced Hand and Boots of Haste

What do you think?
Some changes needed?
Any advice will be helpful.