PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing bladesinger through MC

Spacehamster
2017-03-20, 09:07 AM
So wanting to try out the elven wizard subclass bladesinger in an upcoming campaign and
wanted to make it more well rounded and a bit more fighty through 3 levels in other classes,
so now I turn to your expertise for help.

My thought is start as High elf stats: 8/16/14/16/10/8
First level as fighter for Con saves, take mariner style for more mobility and AC in light armor.
From there 6 levels bladesinger, it is after this that I am not sure what to pick, my thoughts is either 1
more level fighter for action surge + 1 level rogue for skill, expertise and 1 sneak attack die. Other
option is keep fighter at just 1 level and 2 levels rogue instead for cunning action. the 4 ASIīs will
all go to maxing DEX and INT me thinks.

So what are your thoughts, do you have any better suggestions on what class to put the 3 MC levels in for better effects?
Itīs limited to 3 due to possiblility to keep level 9 spells just in case the campaign goes on that long(highly unlikely tho so
good suggestions that exceeds 3 levels MC is valid).

Clone
2017-03-20, 10:53 AM
I'd be careful about multiclassing too much with a Bladesinger. Sure you are a melee fighter twice a short rest, but you're still a Wizard.

I'd suggest going one level of Fighter for two weapon fighting and the CON saves and go straight Bladesinger from there. The longer you leave it, the further you are away from extra attack (they get it a level 6 normally, so level 7 at this stage) and later on you can add your INT to attacks, so combining Haste with these attacks gives you 4 shortsword attacks making 4d6 + Dex (+ INT later on) with CON + prof + INT for keeping concentration. All of this, and you have your bonkers amount of Wizard spells. The only snag with this build is needing Warcaster, but gaining advantage on your roll with CON + INT + Prof means you'll rarely drop concentration.

What level is the Campaign going to and what level are you starting? That would make a difference when building, I imagine.

Specter
2017-03-20, 11:23 AM
Don't go TWF, or you'll need War Caster to cast with both weapons. Too much resources involved.

Well, personally I say one level of fighter is as good as it gets for BS. Fighting Style is +1AC, which is paramount for a d6 class, or +2 damage, which can be just as good. Second Wind is effectively +6.5HP per rest. Assuming you have two short rests and a long one, it's +19.5HP in a day. Very nice. In the future (maybe after 5th-level spells) you can grab that second fighter level for Action Surge and go crazy.

Haldir
2017-03-20, 12:12 PM
Make sure to take Absorb Elements. Your AC with Haste and a decent set of armor is already top-tier, so your main worries are effects that attack your saves. Cloak of Resistence is a wise investment, as is getting a permanent form of Mind Blank.

D.U.P.A.
2017-03-20, 12:26 PM
Don't go TWF, or you'll need War Caster to cast with both weapons. Too much resources involved.

Well, personally I say one level of fighter is as good as it gets for BS. Fighting Style is +1AC, which is paramount for a d6 class, or +2 damage, which can be just as good. Second Wind is effectively +6.5HP per rest. Assuming you have two short rests and a long one, it's +19.5HP in a day. Very nice. In the future (maybe after 5th-level spells) you can grab that second fighter level for Action Surge and go crazy.

However +1AC fighting style does not work if you use mage armor instead of light armor.

Specter
2017-03-20, 12:57 PM
However +1AC fighting style does not work if you use mage armor instead of light armor.

OP was talking about Mariner.