PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Cutting Early Access Garbage Off At The Knee

Amechra
2017-03-20, 10:36 AM
Because seriously, screw that stupid garbage. The only "early access" effect you should have access to are stuff like Precocious Apprentice, where that's actually the point.

=---=

• Any feature or effect that grants you a bonus spell slot cannot grant you a spell slot of a level higher than what is indicated on the relevant "spells per day" table for that particular spellcasting class.
• Similarly, any prerequisite that says "able to cast spells of Xth level" now instead reads "knows and is able to cast spells of Xth level".
• Items and temporary effects cannot be used to meet prerequisites.

The_Jette
2017-03-20, 04:07 PM
Because seriously, screw that stupid garbage. The only "early access" effect you should have access to are stuff like Precocious Apprentice, where that's actually the point.

=---=

• Any feature or effect that grants you a bonus spell slot cannot grant you a spell slot of a level higher than what is indicated on the relevant "spells per day" table for that particular spellcasting class.
• Similarly, any prerequisite that says "able to cast spells of Xth level" now instead reads "knows and is able to cast spells of Xth level".

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Could you give an example? Also, is this a Homebrew/Homerule, or just a general complaint? Are you looking for RAW ways of telling a player no instead of just saying no? I guess what I'm asking is, "What are you asking with this post?"

noob
2017-03-21, 04:34 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Could you give an example? Also, is this a Homebrew/Homerule, or just a general complaint? Are you looking for RAW ways of telling a player no instead of just saying no? I guess what I'm asking is, "What are you asking with this post?"
I think that since it is in the homebrew design it means that this thread is about fixing it.

Amechra
2017-03-21, 08:00 PM
I think that since it is in the homebrew design it means that this thread is about fixing it.

Bingo - I saw someone crash a thread with "well, Wizards get 9th level spells at 1st level", and I thought that that was just not on. Not on at all.

nonsi
2017-03-21, 10:48 PM

How about "able to cast spells of Xth level by virtue of class level and feature"?

I'm guessing an example for the above can be Ring of Evasion.
I prefer a rule that says "items don't grant features. Ever".

The_Jette
2017-03-22, 08:17 AM
Bingo - I saw someone crash a thread with "well, Wizards get 9th level spells at 1st level", and I thought that that was just not on. Not on at all.

Did they only make the claim that Wizards can cast 9th level spells at 1st level; or, did they back it up somehow? Because, Wizards are only able to cast 1st level spells at first level. And, yes, I know there's a feat that allows first level characters to cast a second level spell a day, that eventually gets turned into a regular spell slot once they get high enough, but second is far from 9th.

nikkoli
2017-03-22, 09:52 AM
Did they only make the claim that Wizards can cast 9th level spells at 1st level; or, did they back it up somehow? Because, Wizards are only able to cast 1st level spells at first level. And, yes, I know there's a feat that allows first level characters to cast a second level spell a day, that eventually gets turned into a regular spell slot once they get high enough, but second is far from 9th.

Its following that path that leads to 9ths at lvl 3. I cant remember where it was, I'm fairly certain it was on ye olden wizard boards on exactly how to do it but it takes flaws and VERY RAW interpretations.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-03-22, 10:01 AM
It's all good fun in character optimization exercises, which tend to play on the cutting edge of the RAW. I wouldn't object to any DM telling a player no though.

Personally, most of my custom system homebrew that uses features like this tends to function on a Character Level or Class Level requirement, or makes a hard delineation between class spells and "bonus" spells. It does make this a lot easier to handle.

Almarck
2017-03-22, 10:06 AM
In Pathfinder, up until like a year ago, people used to take racials that granted spells to qualify for Theruge prestige classes because it counted as a 2nd or 3rd level caster class and caster level.