PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Useful Apps to DM with

WereRabbitz
2017-03-20, 11:52 AM
Looking for useful apps for my tablet to use during campaigns as the DM.

Anything that might keep track of turn order, make a good reference, ect...

Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-20, 12:54 PM
I've got a spell cards app on my phone called D&D 5 Spellbook. It's pretty useful (though it could use some copy-editing).

Sirithhyando
2017-03-20, 01:11 PM
Beta for D&D Beyond started today.
Only the compendium is available right now but it will be very useful. :smallwink:

Sir cryosin
2017-03-20, 01:16 PM
Only app I use is the same as Ninja. But I have a dice tray slash small white board. When I roll initiative I write down names in order. Keeping track of monsters HP I just add up to the monster HP instead of subtracting additions easier. And I just keep the number next to the monster on the initiative order. Everything else is just my notebook with notes in it or one of the DM books. If I have a NPC human annoyed that the party is fighting all just make a character sheet up ahead of time. Or I'll just use one of those step blocks in the back of the books monster manual and Volvo guide and tweek them a bit. I understand using apps or computers could clean up your space around the DM area bit so you're not having all the books right there but just using those I mean me personally I can look up something just as fast in a book then I can type in and out searching through computer programs

GlenSmash!
2017-03-20, 01:27 PM
Beta for D&D Beyond started today.
Only the compendium is available right now but it will be very useful. :smallwink:

Yeah, it looks like it has some bugs to work out, but I like it so far.

WereRabbitz
2017-03-20, 10:39 PM
Cool I will check it out then!

Yeah I was looking for something as time saver, but I think I may end up using my tablet as more of a quick spell reference more then anything. The book is handy, but looking up spells can be a pain

Thxs!

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-21, 02:58 AM
dnd 5e character creator quick npc builder.
dnd 5ed dms tools
i havent found a good map builder but ive been working on it

Hudsonian
2017-03-21, 09:55 AM
I use Excel...

I prebuild some of my encounters with the monster names and hp amounts then sum the column below it so I don't have to do any math for HP.

I also have a section for initiative type in the number then it sorts the in order of init.

I believe that Ninja Prawn has a searchable spell matrix (also in Excel). I grabbed that out of his Google Drive.

I use One Note for my notebook. I copy maps screen clips from DavesMapper.com or scan sketches if I can't make something I like there. Then I add numbers and describe it. Add numbers to the map and descriptions to the side. I have one "notebook" per campaign with a different section per "Location/City" and different pages for individual market squares or shops that need more than a paragraph. Places that have an important NPC etc. have their own page. I also tend to homebrew boss fights via AngryGM's paragon system or for a more video game style adapting monster that has certain weakspots that you have to wait for... They all require their own page.

I still have my books though. It's not D&D without the books...

VariSami
2017-03-21, 03:52 PM
Paid version of MX Player. All the RPG-players are useless if they are not the only thin you are having a tablet around for since they go silent as you browse other apps. MX Player continues playing and with the paid version, without ads.

Thus far, MX Player, Adobe reader, and Chrome have been the only apps I have needed on mine.

Beelzebubba
2017-03-21, 03:59 PM
Our game has someone playing from Thailand

We have an iPad pro with a white-boarding app that we screen share with a web browser so he sees the same diagrams of our combat situations that we do

It's pretty rad, I'll have to ask the DM what the app name is, but there are a bunch of free apps that do this

Corpus
2017-03-21, 04:40 PM
d20 Fight Club for 5th edition
is a great app!
d20 Fight Club is good for Character creation, as a player or for NPC's.
The DM version is a great tool for a DMs!
Made by Lion's Den

Cl0001
2017-03-21, 06:34 PM
I have a dice roller called dice ex
It's really useful for rolling multiple sets of dice multiple times. You can roll the standard d4,6,8,10,12,20,100 or you can make custom dice like a d97 or d1375

McNinja
2017-03-21, 07:06 PM
on android I use D&D5 Spellbook, D&D Quick Dice, and Fifth Edition Character Sheet.

Spellbook is great, but has some text errors in some of the spells.
Quick Dice is awesome when you need to be rolling for higher level spells or sneak attacks (because rolling 10d6 isn't fun).
Fifth Edition Character Sheet is extremely useful and I use it for all of my characters, even some npcs. It's quickly updated with the newest info from books (no unearthed arcana), and you can choose to use the standard array, point buy, or roll either 3d6 or 4d6. You have to add in your own spells but it also has a level up feature (that you have to pay for, it's $3) that adds all the new class features as you level up and lets you choose feats and ASI's. It's hella useful.

infectedManz
2017-05-16, 05:14 AM
Hi! I've been a silent user for a while now, and stumbling on this thread finally convinced me to take action and register!

In the last months i've been busy building an android app for initiative management: it's called "Initiative Tracker for D&D" and you can find it on the play store, with a black and red d20 as icon :smallwink:
i've used my own (and friends!) experience as a DM to craft this as comfortable as possible, maybe it can be useful to you too =)

Let me know! Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Manolo