PDA

View Full Version : Char-Op: maximum defense for a gestalt level 8 (all stats 20)

JeenLeen
2017-03-20, 12:19 PM
In the play-by-post games recently, there was a game advertised where you play a weakened god who awakens after a long slumber. The character builds were to be something like (I might have some details wrong):

level 8
gesalt, meaning any two classes, you get starting proficiencies from both, and get whatever you would get from either. Beyond the 'no stacking' rules in the PHB for multiclassing, it all stacks. (So assume 2 ability score increases/feats at level 4.)
you can start with whatever mundane gear (excludes potions)
you can start with any three magic items (excluding artifacts and sentient items)
stats are all base 20. Max 24 after ASIs and racial modifiers.
assume you won't reach level 20, but might get decent level
feats allowed. You can multiclass within a given 'branch'.

Although I didn't think I've have time to join the game, I started thinking of the best defense build I could (from my knowledge of just Player's Handbook.) I was thinking Rogue 5 / Barbarian 3 on one side (for Uncanny Dodge + Bear totem, which I reckon means you can take quarter damage when you spend your reaction), with a full caster on the other side (maybe Druid for shapeshifting extra HP, but that doesn't synergize well.)

With the barbarians unarmored defense and the 20s in stats, that's a base 20 AC, more if you increase Dex, Con, or use a shield.
Race-wise, I was thinking orc at first for extra Con & their "don't die the first time", but the advantage on saves that Gnomes get seems useful against things that defeat you by means other than HP.
Any advice on a good, 'you can't really hurt me' build*?

*where this can include tanking damage, so really can't kill, not can't hurt.

Citan
2017-03-22, 09:09 AM
Hi!

Well, it your main thing is AC, the best combination is probably Bladesinger paired with either Barbarian or Monk, depending on how high you go in Wizard and how often you plan on using spells: When bladesinging, you will have 25 AC stat, possibly more with ASI increases, on top of preventive Mirror Image. Totem Barbarian 18 / Bladesinger 2 would be nice, as Bladesinger 5 / Monk 15.

Otherwise, Long Death Monk 14 / Paladin 6 is one of the toughest thanks to Aura of Protection stacked with proficiency in all saves, along with archetype features (THP on kill, extra save) and potential Shield of Faith/Bless. Sad thing is that both resources (ki/slot) are mutually exclusive, so it's a pain to manage and it comes online at lvl 20, so it's more of a theorycraft than anything else (as far as ultimate defense goes).

If you take UA into account, Barbarian / War Magic Wizard will be tanky too.