PDA

View Full Version : L5R 4e Gaijin

Birdwood
2017-03-20, 12:34 PM
I've recently come across this system (namely while researching rules for DnD 3.5's Oriental Adventures) and, while reading through the character rules, I noticed many mentions to gaijin as NPC; but, other than vaguely suggesting some Unicorn or Tortoise folk may be gaijin or gaijin-born, or that you may play a gaijin if the DM so allows, I haven't found rules for actual, full blooded non-Rokugani
Am I missing something? Can someone point me to a book (4th edition) that has official statistics for gaijin character creation?

Faily
2017-03-20, 01:19 PM
I've recently come across this system (namely while researching rules for DnD 3.5's Oriental Adventures) and, while reading through the character rules, I noticed many mentions to gaijin as NPC; but, other than vaguely suggesting some Unicorn or Tortoise folk may be gaijin or gaijin-born, or that you may play a gaijin if the DM so allows, I haven't found rules for actual, full blooded non-Rokugani
Am I missing something? Can someone point me to a book (4th edition) that has official statistics for gaijin character creation?

There are no rules for them as such because being a Gaijin (a foreigner) is mostly being a walking target to die horribly with no rights whatsoever in Rokugan. I would caution against playing a full on Gaijin if the campaign takes place in the Empire proper. If you really wish to explore some of the other cultures outside of Rokugan, there is Legend of the Burning Sands that feature some of them (along with history and mechanics), but again, I really do not advise this. I can't remember now if there is a 4th Edition update of Legend of the Burning Sands, but it is a 3rd edition book and making the relevant changes isn't too difficult.

In Rokugan, there is no place for Gaijin in the Celestial Order, and thus they have no place in the Empire - anyone can kill a gaijin if they spot one, and after the Battle of White Stag, Rokugan becomes *extremly* xenophobic to the point that Gaijin are killed on sight, because gaijin were responsible for the death of Empress Yugozohime. Dealing with Gaijin are also illegal according to Imperial law.

The Unicorn Clan and the Tortoise Clan (and to some extent, the Mantis Clan), are bending the rules a little in some places there. The Charter of the Unicorn Clan is to deal with what lies beyond the Empire, and in their centuries-long exodus, they adopted a lot of foreign customs and took spouses from different cultures and countries. So many Unicorn Clan samurai have Gaijin ancestry, but they are still samurai and belong in the Celestial Order. The Tortoise Clan have a similar charter, as they were founded after the Battle of White Stag, but theirs is much more low-key than the Unicorn's.

There have been some Gaijin in L5R history, but they've been extremly rare, like Yoritomo Singh (emissary from the Ivory Kingdoms who ended up being accepted by the Mantis as one of their own). Then there was the Moto that came with Moto Gaeheris when Shinjo returned to Rokugan, who were still in many ways more like the Ujik-hai nomads of their forebears than proper Unicorn Clan samurai, and before the Khan's March for the throne, Moto Chagatai brought in many from the Burning Sands to swell the military ranks and anyone who swore fealty to him were made samurai.

Birdwood
2017-03-20, 01:27 PM
Im aware of all the implications of being gaijin (on said Oriental Adventures DnD campaign, another friend of mine was a gaijin bard who valued his personal freedom dearly and had little regard to the opinion of others, so you probably can predict how that ended)

Im asking because, while reading Imperial Histories (which deals with different eras), there is a sidenote about this, which allows gaijin PCs under the pretext youre an outsider who really is interested in living under the new culture (aka: You proved you arent culturally hostile, and werent killed outright), but it didnt approach any mechanical rules to make that possible

raygun goth
2017-03-20, 01:30 PM
You'd likely need to use the rules for full ronin, but they probably wouldn't have a Void stat. However, if you could track it down, Legend of the Burning Sands has some rules, even though they're 3rd Edition, there's a 4e conversion out there (https://www.l5r.com/files/2013/09/LBS4E.pdf).

That's if you could somehow prevent yourself from being instantly murdered by anyone you meet, because that is the legal and ethical thing to do.

BWR
2017-03-20, 01:33 PM
Addendum: even after 300 years of being back in Rokugan, the Unicorn are still considered foreigners by many. Not quite as foreign as gaijin but still not properly Rokugani. Bringing the extra Moto back from the Burning Sands didn't help.

Birdwood
2017-03-20, 01:35 PM
You'd likely need to use the rules for full ronin, but they probably wouldn't have a Void stat. However, if you could track it down, Legend of the Burning Sands has some rules, even though they're 3rd Edition, there's a 4e conversion out there (https://www.l5r.com/files/2013/09/LBS4E.pdf).

That's if you could somehow prevent yourself from being instantly murdered by anyone you meet, because that is the legal and ethical thing to do.

Extensive purchase of the Allies advantage, along with a well written Background? :D

Yeah, the whys of how im alive will be considered later, *if* there is a way to explain the gaijin person mechanically (i dislike having to homebrew too much)

Faily
2017-03-20, 04:04 PM
If the GM allows it... *shrugs*

I'd probably say, as a GM, that no matter your Allies (and don't even consider Sacrosanct) and background, it won't stop samurai from murdering you.

I know there's an alternate timeline in one of the Imperial Histories books, where instead of going super-xenophobic post-Battle of White Stag, the Rokugani instead became very progressive and adopted gaijin practices and weaponry. Might be something to consider.

You'd likely need to use the rules for full ronin, but they probably wouldn't have a Void stat.

Whut?

Void is still a Ring used by Gaijin, as per the Legend of the Burning Sands rules. It's even used in Tahaddi Dueling, as well as their version of Tea Ceremony.

BWR
2017-03-20, 04:08 PM
Allies, even if they for some reason are your best bud, will have to be Mantis or Unicorn, you will not be let out of their house, much less their clan lands, and they will have no legal foot to stand on if anyone else takes exception to your presence and puts you down like the honorless dog you are. Tortoise, though they deal with outsiders, do not bring them home.
If you should somehow make it across clan boundaries and people find out your Ally is responsible for you...well, wars have been started for less. Now, clans break Imperial Law all the time and some flaunt it, but they do it for things they consider worthwhile; don't expect your sorry hide to be worth it.

The gaijin mechanics you are looking for...what culture do you want to come from? There is no generic Gaijin School with Ads/Disads because they are mostly irrelevant to L5R. As previously mentioned, there are Burning Sands cultures and schools (and all humans get Void unless they are Lost). Though not officially part of the L5R world, you could use stuff from 7th Sea for a variety of Renaissance-ish European.

I as a GM, and all L5R GMs I know of bar one, would nip this character in the bud. The one exception is because he's a terrible GM who doesn't understand how Rokugan works.

Birdwood
2017-03-20, 04:20 PM
Allies, even if they for some reason are your best bud, will have to be Mantis or Unicorn, you will not be let out of their house, much less their clan lands, and they will have no legal foot to stand on if anyone else takes exception to your presence and puts you down like the honorless dog you are. Tortoise, though they deal with outsiders, do not bring them home.
If you should somehow make it across clan boundaries and people find out your Ally is responsible for you...well, wars have been started for less. Now, clans break Imperial Law all the time and some flaunt it, but they do it for things they consider worthwhile; don't expect your sorry hide to be worth it.

The gaijin mechanics you are looking for...what culture do you want to come from? There is no generic Gaijin School with Ads/Disads because they are mostly irrelevant to L5R. As previously mentioned, there are Burning Sands cultures and schools (and all humans get Void unless they are Lost). Though not officially part of the L5R world, you could use stuff from 7th Sea for a variety of Renaissance-ish European.

I as a GM, and all L5R GMs I know of bar one, would nip this character in the bud. The one exception is because he's a terrible GM who doesn't understand how Rokugan works.

this is a very complete answer, lemme see if i can explain myself

im just considering the options; as i said, i can gather that a gaijin character would probably be short lived, if lived at all, and would be under extreme vigilance at all times

i hadnt thought of any specifics on the character (other than being european-ish), so i was trying to find whatever i could about outlander rules before making a decision; after all, who knows, maybe i found some flavor that would inspire me?

and while the barring of the character is both expected and fair given the setting, me and my friends think its an Action reserved to god born mary sues with laser eyes; as long as the player understands that breathing might get him killed, we just roll with it (unless he decides he wants to bring his pet cannon with him to explore the lands, in which case its justifiable to have him thrown in the Shadowlands at day 1)

raygun goth
2017-03-20, 06:37 PM
Whut?

Void is still a Ring used by Gaijin, as per the Legend of the Burning Sands rules. It's even used in Tahaddi Dueling, as well as their version of Tea Ceremony.

Yes, but they go out of their way to explain that it's not "Void" as the Rokugani use it, and that it can also be potentially likely that gaijin don't have Void at all, considering they don't have descent from, you know, the kami.

Faily
2017-03-20, 08:27 PM
Yes, but they go out of their way to explain that it's not "Void" as the Rokugani use it, and that it can also be potentially likely that gaijin don't have Void at all, considering they don't have descent from, you know, the kami.

Except it's still there as a stat, they can use it for all the normal rules of Void points usage (reduce damage, void for skill, +1k1 to rolls, etc), and regain it with Coffee Ceremony and Meditation. So I'm not really understanding it?

Sure, they might not have the strong elemental philosophy of Rokugan, but all the mechanics in the Burning Sands use the same mechanics as samurai in Legend of the Five Rings use. They just call things something else fluff-wise, but mechanically it's all the same.

raygun goth
2017-03-21, 01:30 PM
Except it's still there as a stat, they can use it for all the normal rules of Void points usage (reduce damage, void for skill, +1k1 to rolls, etc), and regain it with Coffee Ceremony and Meditation. So I'm not really understanding it?

Sure, they might not have the strong elemental philosophy of Rokugan, but all the mechanics in the Burning Sands use the same mechanics as samurai in Legend of the Five Rings use. They just call things something else fluff-wise, but mechanically it's all the same.

Check out page 123 of Book of the Void. The idea of a gaijin having Void is so heretical that bringing it up is probably a death sentence unless you're a monk posing hypothetical questions. I know they have a "mechanically identical" stat, but they have it for the sake of ease of game conversion. If you drag a gaijin into Rokugan, it probably shouldn't have a compatible "Void" stat, and vice-versa. It probably shouldn't be able to be targeted by Void magic, and vice-versa.

Floret
2017-03-21, 02:32 PM
While I have to agree with the previous posters that in the "default setting" it is very, very difficult (Post White Stag, that is), there is still another option:
A different Rokugan. And I'm not even talking one where Rokugan went full-on "Oh, hey, Gaijin are cool!", but one that is maybe tweaked just a tiny bit. Still Xenophobic, but not to the point of outright slaughter. In such a setting, a PC might work similarly to a Naga or Ratling PC (For both of which there are rules in Enemies of the Empire, with extensive discussion on how to implement them) - strange, always suspicious, and quick to blame, an outsider that should really be careful with everything they say - but not inherently murdered.

(For example, in my current campaign, White Stag went just a little less murderous. Gaijin can't really leave the Hub villages around the capital (This is before change), but the Tortoise can act more openly and a Gaijin might apply for a special permission to travel the empire, if they find a damn good reason.)

If such is the case, and if you on top of that can get your GM to allow homebrew stuff (Or are a GM yourself and just wanna use the rules for NPCs), I found this (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/191130-rpg4th-edition-okumas-guide-to-gaijin/)thread on the sort-of official forums to be particularly helpful :smallwink:

raygun goth
2017-03-21, 02:52 PM
While I have to agree with the previous posters that in the "default setting" it is very, very difficult (Post White Stag, that is), there is still another option:
A different Rokugan. And I'm not even talking one where Rokugan went full-on "Oh, hey, Gaijin are cool!", but one that is maybe tweaked just a tiny bit. Still Xenophobic, but not to the point of outright slaughter. In such a setting, a PC might work similarly to a Naga or Ratling PC (For both of which there are rules in Enemies of the Empire, with extensive discussion on how to implement them) - strange, always suspicious, and quick to blame, an outsider that should really be careful with everything they say - but not inherently murdered.

(For example, in my current campaign, White Stag went just a little less murderous. Gaijin can't really leave the Hub villages around the capital (This is before change), but the Tortoise can act more openly and a Gaijin might apply for a special permission to travel the empire, if they find a damn good reason.)

If such is the case, and if you on top of that can get your GM to allow homebrew stuff (Or are a GM yourself and just wanna use the rules for NPCs), I found this (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/191130-rpg4th-edition-okumas-guide-to-gaijin/)thread on the sort-of official forums to be particularly helpful :smallwink:

I tend to allow it myself, but I also made my Yobanjin be a bit more like Ainu - they're living literally underfoot of the Empire, rather than in the far-off never-gonna-bother-us land up north. And I had one game where a guy wanted to be a red-haired crab so we came up with his boat wrecking off the coast near the Shadowlands and we played him through a goblin winter, so his first contact moment with the Rokugani was him basically giving a swirly to a Shadowlands beast while having collected the heads of goblins on pikes around his camp. They let him in and argued vociferously that he was definitely Rokugani, I mean, would a gaijin be wearing a Crab mon? That sounds like crazy talk, you sound crazy.

BWR
2017-03-21, 04:49 PM
Check out page 123 of Book of the Void. The idea of a gaijin having Void is so heretical that bringing it up is probably a death sentence unless you're a monk posing hypothetical questions. I know they have a "mechanically identical" stat, but they have it for the sake of ease of game conversion. If you drag a gaijin into Rokugan, it probably shouldn't have a compatible "Void" stat, and vice-versa. It probably shouldn't be able to be targeted by Void magic, and vice-versa.

Using that argument they shouldn't have any element based mechanics. No Rings and their component Traits, no Wounds based on Earth, etc. They cannot, by this argument, be affected by any magic or Techniques that target Rings in any way.
Sound sensible? Of course it doesn't.

Void as a mechanics =/= Void as philosophical concept in-game.

raygun goth
2017-03-22, 01:32 AM
Using that argument they shouldn't have any element based mechanics. No Rings and their component Traits, no Wounds based on Earth, etc. They cannot, by this argument, be affected by any magic or Techniques that target Rings in any way.
Sound sensible? Of course it doesn't.

Void as a mechanics =/= Void as philosophical concept in-game.

Oh, no, this is my hill and I will die on it: Void as mechanics DO equal Void as the philosophical concept in game, the books tend to make that pretty clear, and it's one of the reasons that nonhuman races like the Naga and the Nezumi don't have it. It's why the Tengu do have it (and it's called out in their creature entries that it's weird for them to have it). The mechanics and philosophical concepts are intertwined, that's by design.

And even if you're just going philosophically, everything in the human world has the remaining elements in it. Everything, even physical objects (mountains have a lot of Earth, and are therefore made of rocks, and so on). You stat animals from anywhere the same way you stat humans, just without Void. Because they don't have souls.

It's like saying that if fish don't have hands, then no animals can have hands.

As I stated before, people from the Burning Sands get Ka; it's functionally like Void, but it's not Void, because the Void stat literally represents your connection to the heavens and kami ancestors. I would imagine people from other places would have a similar functionality. Also, I would figure that if a gaijin is in Rokugan long enough, that person should start transitioning into a Void ring because the real important part of Rokugani society is perception, and this is a setting where a dude was so good at punching they made him the punch god because they were afraid he would punch all the gods if they didn't and where this one lady was so good at stabbing she turned into the moon (then they built the mechanics so that player characters could never do that, and that is the most obnoxious thing in the world to me).

I'm also not saying it isn't silly. It really is - if you believe everything the empire writes about itself, it is a wacky gonzo setting where surf ninjas ride sentient water snakes powered by lightning into battle against evil pokémon dragon-riding Mongols with Earthbender powers and hordes of flying dudes protect the Dragonballs from mad scientists with steam-powered siege mecha, and that nothing a player character ever does can change anything about it. Which is just goofy.

Floret
2017-03-22, 04:20 AM
While I do agree that for philosophical discussion the renaming, especially for Naga and Nezumi, is absolutely important, I would like to offer a counterpoint to one of your conclusions from that:

Because I don't really see the lack of a void ring making immune to void magic? (Of course, the Book of Void might say differently, haven't got that one, but it would be really weird to me for that restriction to pop up THERE)
I can see where one might get the idea from the descriptions, sure. But I haven't seen it explicitly stated, and would like to see that before I can accept it.

Why? Because of two tidbits that suggests to me it might actually work: First, Nezumi name magic. Now, Nezumi have "Name" as their Voidreplacement. Which, under the same logic, might restrict name magic to characters with that attribute - aka. Nezumi. But it pretty explicitly DOESN'T do that. Humans do have "true names" required to cast upon them, despite their lack of a name rank, and numerous examples of how these spells work have humans as their victims.
On top of that, void spells can target inanimate objects. They don't have a void ring, afaik? But the void magic still works.

Canine
2017-03-22, 08:47 AM
Enemies of the Empire's section on the Naga does discuss the use of Void vs Akasha for Naga characters, and includes the following:

The Void Ring is the representation of man’s connection with the elements and the ability to draw upon the strength of mortal men to do the impossible.
This doesn't explicitly bar gaijin from having or using Void as Rokugan understands it, although I'm sure there are a thousand counterexamples that would block gaijin from Void. As long as you are consistent in your setting and how it treats gaijin and their 5th stat or lack thereof, you should be fine. There are rules somewhere (possibly in the 2E/d20 books) for how characters without a Void stat function, although I believe that was geared towards undead/tainted creatures.

The L5R 4E Second City Box Set book The People has basic schools for the Kshatriya Warrior and the Guru Sainika Fighter, which can be used for characters native to the Ivory Kingdoms or Rokugani who learned those schools. They explicitly give the Guru Sainika Fighter a bonus to Void, and both classes have abilities that refer to Void Points and Void Rank, and they aren't called out as being any different from Void. They do have a short blurb on using Integrity instead of Honor for gaijin characters.

The 2E/d20 book The Complete Exotic Arms Guide has rules for specific Gaijin weapons, shouldn't be hard to convert from 2E to 4E.

BWR
2017-03-22, 02:53 PM
What Canine said.
I'm sorry, raygun, but all sources I have checked say you are wrong. Rokugani in setting may consider the idea of gaijin having Void heretical, I don't know (I don't have BoV so I can't check), but this is the first I've heard of it and characters in setting get a lot of things wrong.

As for Void being "the connection to the heavens and their ancestors"...where are you getting this? It isn't in the description of the Void Ring in any edition. 4e does say it is an 'almost uniquely human trait", emphasis mine. 3e says "all humans possess it", 2e and 1e are even less detailed. LBS uses Void, not Ka (where is that from?), even some non-humans have Void, like the Ashalan.

Birdwood
2017-03-22, 03:02 PM
Point being that this whole discussion is purely semantic

All kinds of humans (or is it sentient beings? not sure, havent read enough of the books to be sure) have some kind of Void-related Status; call it Spirit, Void, Inner Peace, or whatever, it is the relation of one with their soul, and therefore, they are all subject to Void-related effects unless otherwise noted

That the Rokugani think Gaijin are less than animals, and therefore dont have a soul, is an entirely different matter, that may or may not be true (mechanically, its not)

BWR
2017-03-22, 03:21 PM
Point being that this whole discussion is purely semantic

Wrong use of the word 'semantic'. No, not all living creatures have Void. Animals do not, for instance. All humans do, unless they are Lost (at which point they aren't really human anymore). Not all sentient creatures have Void, and not all have a replacement stat either.

Birdwood
2017-03-22, 03:30 PM
oh well, going w the flow here; i had understood it applied to (non-Shadowlands) sentient beings because i forgot Rokugan had Nezumi and Tengus and the like; my mistake

raygun goth
2017-03-22, 07:24 PM
On top of that, void spells can target inanimate objects. They don't have a void ring, afaik? But the void magic still works.

I will admit "all Void magic" is probably going a bit to far. If you blast someone with your Void, yes, they should still get hella hurt. But when you try to give the gaijin extra Void points, if it works, then it literally calls into question every spiritual belief the Rokugani hold and begins a spiral downward into heresy that will get people maimed and killed. Which is a great story, but if you're not going for that, then you have to start making allowances.

BWR
2017-03-22, 11:01 PM
But when you try to give the gaijin extra Void points, if it works, then it literally calls into question every spiritual belief the Rokugani hold and begins a spiral downward into heresy that will get people maimed and killed.

Again, this is something which is apparently only in one single book and which runs counter to all other sources I have checked.

Floret
2017-03-23, 06:20 AM
So? Questioning Rokugani belief is part of the fun of the setting - I mean, there are so many things the Rokugani believe (Or pretend to believe) that are obviously bull, that I wouldn't take this in-game opinion as... anything other than "this is what the Rokugani think". At least not without explicit statement to the contrary. (I mean, questioning the official maps of the Empire is heresy. That doesn't mean they are flawless, it's just your fault if you arrive 2 days too late because the street was longer than the map said. Heck, building ships that aren't exactly like old times is heresy...)

And, sure, an Ishiken should probably not TRY giving Void points to a Gaijin - from their perspective, it won't work anyways. Gaijin learning Void magic would seem highly suspect to me, as time and time again it is said that their magic is weird and different (Or just guns).
But I don't see that as a point for it not working mechanically. If the stat is called something different? That one cannot with Void Realease or whatever spell take Name points and convert them to Void - maybe. I mean, that would be RAW - if you do not have Void points, you cannot loose or gain them.

But, really, that's what, 5 Void spells tops? When there are those that target "every living creature" and so on, they explicitly include Gaijin, whether or not those have Void. I mean, animals is one thing, but undead they ain't, even in the eyes of the Rokugani.

Knaight
2017-03-23, 02:39 PM
I will admit "all Void magic" is probably going a bit to far. If you blast someone with your Void, yes, they should still get hella hurt. But when you try to give the gaijin extra Void points, if it works, then it literally calls into question every spiritual belief the Rokugani hold and begins a spiral downward into heresy that will get people maimed and killed. Which is a great story, but if you're not going for that, then you have to start making allowances.

Either that or Rokugani religion just operates in a blatantly counterfactual manner, where contradictory information is largely ignored with a side of suppression.

LibraryOgre
2017-03-27, 01:54 PM
If someone were to play a Gaijin, I would approach it thusly:

Pick a stat that you gain a bonus to through your "family", and another through your "school"... while non-samurai characters aren't supposed to have a school (3e, page 89), I would use one of the existing schools to provide character parity and represent who you are. Probably a Ronin school. I would require some sort of Advantage to be taken to represent WHY you are able to interact with Samurai Society as a member... Imperial Spouse or Social Position (Ambassador) would both work. You would have a Bad Reputation by default.

So, here you are. A complete outsider, not able to wield a samurai's weapons and everyone will treat you like a very well flowered turd... something that has to be endured, because it is appropriate, but that they don't have to like.

This might also get used to represent the mixed-race child of a Rokugani who went abroad... I don't think the Crane would be overjoyed if one of their Yasuki came back with a little half-Senpet child by their Senpet wife, but it would lead to you being a Yasuki who looks Senpetian... though your Bad Reputation would be pretty epic.

BWR
2017-03-27, 02:05 PM
would require some sort of Advantage to be taken to represent WHY you are able to interact with Samurai Society as a member... Imperial Spouse

The mind boggles as to how this would come about.

(and the Yasuki are Crab!!!!!!!!!)

Birdwood
2017-03-27, 02:18 PM
Yeah, in the end I found out that the Unicorn have "recruitment ritials" that "turn Gaijins into Rokugani" (4e, Great Clans book, iirc)

Which, I think, would moderately explain a Gaijin whose ancestor greatly helped some Unicorn with some sort of huge issue that led into him being granted such honor.

So, Id be playing a Unicorn with some Disadvantages related to that (Gaijin Name and Cursed by the Realms are some that I found fitting, among others)

LibraryOgre
2017-03-27, 02:27 PM
The mind boggles as to how this would come about.

I don't know enough about Rokugani society to say, but political marriages are a thing, yes? And marrying the 19th great-cousin of the Emperor off might work.

(and the Yasuki are Crab!!!!!!!!!)

Well, the good ones are. This one went and married a barbarian.

Faily
2017-03-27, 04:17 PM
I don't know enough about Rokugani society to say, but political marriages are a thing, yes? And marrying the 19th great-cousin of the Emperor off might work.

*spit-takes like a proper Rokugani* "There is nothing to be gained politically by marrying a gaijin!"

In broadstrokes, Rokugan has *incredibly* little interest in foreign politics, even before Battle of White Stag. Now some sensible people recognize that they can't completely ignore the world outside the Emerald Empire, and that is why clans like the Unicorn, Mantis and Tortoise have charters that empower them to deal with such things on behalf of the Emperor, but the majority of Rokugani, including many of the ruling caste, have no interest in what is outside Rokugan unless it is attacking the Empire.

They are, after all, extremly xenophobic and self-centered.

Yeah, in the end I found out that the Unicorn have "recruitment ritials" that "turn Gaijins into Rokugani" (4e, Great Clans book, iirc)

Which, I think, would moderately explain a Gaijin whose ancestor greatly helped some Unicorn with some sort of huge issue that led into him being granted such honor.

So, Id be playing a Unicorn with some Disadvantages related to that (Gaijin Name and Cursed by the Realms are some that I found fitting, among others)

Probably the best way to go about it, and it works really well if it's around the period where Moto Chagatai is in charge as he brought in a considerable amount from their desert-dwelling cousins of the Moto to swell his ranks before his march on the capitol.

And most Rokugani look down their nose at Unicorn anyway as semi-gaijin, even more so if you're a Moto, which would probably be the most suitable family for you.

Birdwood
2017-03-27, 04:22 PM
I actually built it as an Utaku, because I liked the general flavor of being a homesteader/horse caretaker
As for the School, I took the Ide Emissary, under the idea that "We of the Unicorn like you, but we dont trust you to wield a katana, so lets teach you how to not mess up when someone decides to talk to you"

Zathino
2017-07-13, 12:59 AM
There are actually rules for playing a Gaijin in l5r 4e. the Book Imperial Archives have yobanjin and the book "Second City the People" there are rules for the ivory Kingdom Schools. In case you guys weren't awre :D happy Hunting Samurai!

Birdwood
2017-07-13, 06:06 AM
There are actually rules for playing a Gaijin in l5r 4e. the Book Imperial Archives have yobanjin and the book "Second City the People" there are rules for the ivory Kingdom Schools. In case you guys weren't awre :D happy Hunting Samurai!

guess who saw those areas when quick-reading but skipped them because Yobanjin and Ivory Kingdom do not match the wording of Gaijin?

Hint: its me

thanks for thst info, ill check that for sure :)

LibraryOgre
2017-07-13, 11:16 AM
The Mod Wonder:

The thread sleeps, quiet
in its grave of forty-five
days; Mod grants last peace.