PDA

View Full Version : Favorite candidates for item familiars?

GSQ|unionjack
2017-03-20, 01:57 PM
Looking to take item familiar for a new character, a dragon who was tricked/trapped in another form, either a halfling or kobold.

Trying to decide the best items for item familiarhood. The item needs a value of 2k per the SRD. The character is an artificer, so I've been trying to think of things that don't take a slot and aren't likely to be replaced by better gear.

So far i'm thinking an increasingly intelligent handy haversack may be a neat idea for an artificer with a lot of wands, scrolls, and wonderous items, but I was also thinking something I can swallow seems safe and dragon-y. I only know of pearls of power and that would be pointless I think for this character.

Any ideas, personal favorites, etc?

Flickerdart
2017-03-20, 02:10 PM
Do the nipple clamps of exquisite pain take up a slot?

Venger
2017-03-20, 02:17 PM

nope. and it's only one clamp, because bad guys are asymmetrical or something

AmberVael
2017-03-20, 02:18 PM
Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, from Tome of Magic. It is slotless, there are a ton of different ones so its not hard to find something that might be useful, and you can't be disarmed of them or even have them targeted until you're already helpless. They're great for being an item familiar.

Flickerdart
2017-03-20, 02:23 PM
Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, from Tome of Magic. It is slotless, there are a ton of different ones so its not hard to find something that might be useful, and you can't be disarmed of them or even have them targeted until you're already helpless. They're great for being an item familiar.

Note that a magic tooth will not be able to make use of a number of item familiars' special powers, since it does not draw line of effect outside your head if your mouth is smaller than a foot across.

Venger
2017-03-20, 02:25 PM
Note that a magic tooth will not be able to make use of a number of item familiars' special powers, since it does not draw line of effect outside your head if your mouth is smaller than a foot across.

roll jaebren, lumi, or neraph so your mouth goes all the way across. #hacked.

GSQ|unionjack
2017-03-20, 02:40 PM
Ha, I wasn't familiar with the teeth, but i'm loving the idea. I should have mentioned i'm starting at 4 but taking the feat ay level 3, so I'm trying to keep costs below WBL for that, which I think is 2700?

thorr-kan
2017-03-20, 04:45 PM
A ring of invisibility. Really.

Segev
2017-03-20, 05:01 PM
Ioun Stones are fun. Dull grey ones are only 25 gp, but that's well below your required price.

Jormengand
2017-03-20, 08:06 PM
I don't think I've ever owned an item familiar which wasn't an amulet or greater amulet of the silver tongue. But maybe that's just me.

It's probably just me.

AmberVael
2017-03-20, 08:26 PM

I recommend lots of smiling practice.

ATHATH
2017-03-20, 08:59 PM
The Apocalypse Stone. As far as I know, the item familiar just has to be in your possession, not on your person. Which is good, because moving the Apocalypse Stone royally $%^&s up the universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apocalypse_Stone

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-21, 07:20 AM
I like making my Flying Carpet into an item familiar.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-21, 07:54 AM
A ring of invisibility. Really.

Of course, binding a portion of your personality to a ring of invisibility always works out great. Just ask Sauron.

Flickerdart
2017-03-21, 09:47 AM
Of course, binding a portion of your personality to a ring of invisibility always works out great. Just ask Sauron.

The One Ring is not a ring of invisibility. Invisibility was merely the result it produced while being worn by a hobbit, because that was the hobbit's desire.

Segev
2017-03-21, 10:05 AM
The One Ring is not a ring of invisibility. Invisibility was merely the result it produced while being worn by a hobbit, because that was the hobbit's desire.

I've often wondered what it would have done on the claw of Smaug.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-21, 10:16 AM
A ring is generally a good idea since it can't easily be sundered/stolen and you can hide it under a glove. Amulets are a good second choice for the same reasons.
I'm fond of the Ring of Silent Spells (MIC, 2000gp) - it's useful for almost anyone.
Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC, 2000gp) works too if you have a source of darkness and a way to see in it. I'd suggest a Darklight (SoS, 500gp) if you can find a way to fuel it (it needs 1pp/day).

They take up the amulet slot iirc, for whatever reason.

Flickerdart
2017-03-21, 10:17 AM
I've often wondered what it would have done on the claw of Smaug.

Not much (http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/48180/would-the-one-ring-even-work-for-anyone-but-sauron). The ring was an artifact of deception - even if Smaug had managed to dominate its will, it would have given him nothing but illusions of power.

Segev
2017-03-21, 10:54 AM
Not much (http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/48180/would-the-one-ring-even-work-for-anyone-but-sauron). The ring was an artifact of deception - even if Smaug had managed to dominate its will, it would have given him nothing but illusions of power.

It's brought up but quickly dismissed in that article, but we have strong evidence that the Ring grants power to its wearers. Gollum was immortal (at least, could not die of old age) long after he lost it; we never learn what his deeds were when he was still hale and hearty and wore the Ring. More obviously, though: Bilbo and Frodo both turn invisible when wearing it. Technically, they plane shift to a nasty Ethereal-like plane that still shares solid objects with the real world. But that is still definite magical power granted by wearing the ring.

We're told that it manifests as invisibility because of Hobbit natures.

What would it manifest as on another? Smaug is of interest to me. Galadriel's reaction is not from wearing it, so we can't draw conclusions there, except on how her behavior might change.