PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A casting in armor

Llama513
2017-03-20, 01:57 PM
I don't remember seeing any rules about this, but with the new war mage, I was wondering does wearing armor affect your ability to cast spells?

Flashy
2017-03-20, 02:01 PM
It's a binary toggle. If you are wearing armor you aren't proficient with you cannot cast spells, if you are wearing armor that you are proficient with then you can.

DivisibleByZero
Anyone can cast spells in any armor that they are proficient with.
If they wear armor that they are not proficient with, they suffer the normal non-proficiency effects. That's it.

cambam2015
You must be proficient in the armor you are wearing in order to cast spells in it. Otherwise, no.

Also, this question should probably have put in the "Simple RAW" thread

Llama513
2017-03-20, 02:04 PM
You must be proficient in the armor you are wearing in order to cast spells in it. Otherwise, no.

My bad, thank you for answering, is there a way to move the thread or should I just leave it

Tetrasodium
2017-03-20, 08:58 PM
I don't remember seeing any rules about this, but with the new war mage, I was wondering does wearing armor affect your ability to cast spells?

As others have said, ASF (arcane spell failure) is a sacred cow of balance that was mercilessly executed in a long deserved sacrifice. Just be proficient with it somehow (i.e. feat/multiclass/). Choose the right cleric domain & you can get access to light/medium/heavy armor+shields, but you will need the warcaster feat to use a shied and cast much of anything/if at all.

Knaight
2017-03-21, 03:06 AM
As others have said, ASF (arcane spell failure) is a sacred cow of balance that was mercilessly executed in a long deserved sacrifice. Just be proficient with it somehow (i.e. feat/multiclass/). Choose the right cleric domain & you can get access to light/medium/heavy armor+shields, but you will need the warcaster feat to use a shied and cast much of anything/if at all.

It wasn't originally there for balance so much as archetype enforcement. Gandalf and Merlin didn't wear armor, so neither will magic users, even if the parallels between a dungeoneering squad mage and the characters involved in inspiring the class are tenuous as best.

NNescio
2017-03-21, 03:14 AM

Keep one hand free and use a spell component pouch. No need to bother with Warcaster unless you want the reaction OA and/or advantage on concentration saves.

Keeping a hand free isn't even needed if you don't plan on using somatic reaction spells like Shield/Absorb Elements/Counterspell (not that it's a good idea, but not all classes have them on their spell list).

L14+ Illusionists have a trick where they use Seeming in combination with Illusory Reality to shut off an opponent's spellcasting.