PDA

View Full Version : Make it rain!

pangoo209
2017-03-20, 02:14 PM
Player X decides to make a creative weapon. He goes into every town nearby and trades in his gold for copper, until he has as much as he can scrounge up. He then does a quick bit of math.

He finds out from his DM a cp weighs about the same as a US penny, (0.0055 pounds), and takes this number. He then takes his bag of holding, and finds out it can hold 500 pounds.

After learning this, he does a bit more math, and finds out that he can fit about 90909 cp into his bag. (909 gp)

He does this, then takes the bag. He flies 100ft (using a spell, potion, etc.) above an enemy, and turns the bag inside out, spilling it's contents directly onto his target's head.

Provided all of the numbers and math is correct, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

(I really just want to see some monsters get pelted by tons of money)

Talyn
2017-03-20, 02:35 PM
I don't see why not. Treat it as a 10x10 square area of effect attack. Everyone under it takes 2d8 damage, DC 13 Dexterity save for half.

Now, you'll need to spend an hour or two after the combat picking up the literally thousands of pennies that have scattered everywhere...

dejarnjc
2017-03-20, 02:39 PM
Player X decides to make a creative weapon. He goes into every town nearby and trades in his gold for copper, until he has as much as he can scrounge up. He then does a quick bit of math.

He finds out from his DM a cp weighs about the same as a US penny, (0.0055 pounds), and takes this number. He then takes his bag of holding, and finds out it can hold 500 pounds.

After learning this, he does a bit more math, and finds out that he can fit about 90909 cp into his bag. (909 gp)

He does this, then takes the bag. He flies 100ft (using a spell, potion, etc.) above an enemy, and turns the bag inside out, spilling it's contents directly onto his target's head.

Provided all of the numbers and math is correct, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

(I really just want to see some monsters get pelted by tons of money)

Well, based on bag of holding language "If the bag is turned inside out, its contents spill forth, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again.", the strategy seems fine enough.

I think you'd have to give the enemy a dex save and then try to adjudicate the damage. 100 feet up is a pretty good ways so I don't think it'd be terribly difficult to get out of the way btw (it's like a 10 story building). Just looking at the most recent Mystic release they do have some language about falling objects.

If the object would fall on a creature, the creature must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or take damage as listed on the table below.
Bludgeoning Damage
2 25 lbs. 2d6
3 50 lbs. 4d6
5 250 lbs. 6d6
6 500 lbs. 7d6
7 1,000 lbs. 8d6

A shower of coins is probably harder to dodge though than a single object so maybe lessen the damage but make it half damage on a successful dex save?

BiPolar
2017-03-20, 02:41 PM
There's a few issues here you need to consider:

If they can use coins as weight for damage, you have to use coins as weight for encumbrance. That presents a couple of issues: how are they carrying all their money in general AND how is the PC hauling 500 lbs up into the sky?

Mellack
2017-03-20, 03:09 PM
The coins are many small objects rather than one single one. They will spread out as they fall. Since each coin is so light, none of them will really do a damaging impact. You can drop a penny off of any height (even the Empire State Building), and it would do little to no damage. This would be many negligible strikes, so perhaps 1d6 total if you are feeling generous, with a fairly easy Dex save to avoid.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/10/dropping-a-penny-from-the-top-of-the-empire-state-building-isnt-dangerous/

pangoo209
2017-03-20, 03:49 PM
There's a few issues here you need to consider:

If they can use coins as weight for damage, you have to use coins as weight for encumbrance. That presents a couple of issues: how are they carrying all their money in general AND how is the PC hauling 500 lbs up into the sky?

I might not have made it clear enough that the plan included a bag of holding, I know it was mentioned, but it wasnt exactly clear

Sorry about that :)

BiPolar
2017-03-20, 03:56 PM
I might not have made it clear enough that the plan included a bag of holding, I know it was mentioned, but it wasnt exactly clear

Sorry about that :)

My bad - I missed it. So that resolves the 500lbs of carrying up in the air - but what about the rest of their money? That's legitimate encumbrance now.

Easier to put a 500lb anvil into the bag - and as others have succinctly noted dropping shower of pennies won't actually hurt that much.

Of course getting that 500lb weight into the bag may be another problem.

LudicSavant
2017-03-20, 05:54 PM
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/10/dropping-a-penny-from-the-top-of-the-empire-state-building-isnt-dangerous/

This. Dropping pennies from high up is largely harmless. The idea that it isn't is myth and misinformation, and should not be perpetuated.

tkuremento
2017-03-20, 05:57 PM
This. Dropping pennies from high up is largely harmless. The idea that it isn't is myth and misinformation, and should not be perpetuated.

What about 90909 of them, though?

LudicSavant
2017-03-20, 06:02 PM

Well, they'd spread out as they fall, and maybe sting a little.

Just for fun, here's a video of people shooting pennies at each other at around terminal velocities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxvMLoKRWg

Mellack
2017-03-20, 06:38 PM

It would only work if they could somehow weld them together. At that point, why use coins? Wouldn't the whole thing have been cheaper and easier by using a 100 pound rock?

Kane0
2017-03-20, 06:46 PM
Why not just load up on lead weights or cannonballs or big rocks? Sling bullets would be good if you're looking for the rain effect rather than the dropping a piano kind of deal.

pangoo209
2017-03-20, 07:07 PM
To all of the people saying "why would you use this as opposed to...", this idea is mostly for the fun and memorable experience of pelting the ever-living s*** out of something with pocket change

Kane0
2017-03-20, 07:12 PM
Well in that case, by all means. If it were to be a recurring battlefield tactic then it'd probably warrant a closer look but a once off or two for the lolz is reason enough.