PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Feats

The Demented One
2007-07-26, 03:34 PM
Cunning Artifice
You can use your inspiration to fuel magical devices.
Requirements: Use Magic Device 8 ranks, inspiration class feature
Benefit: When using wands, staves, or other magic items that have a limited number of charges, you may expend an inspiration point in place of a charge, as long as that item has at least one charge remaining. In addition, whenever you use a scroll, you may expend a number of inspiration points equal to half the level of the spell contained in the scroll, rounded up. If you do, then the scroll is not consumed after use, allowing you to use it again. When using this feat outside of combat, you may only use it once per hour, as you cannot grasp the crucial inspiration you need as easily when not in a crucial situation like combat.

Cunning Master [Inspiration]
You can put forth an inspired effort to succeed in anything.
Requirements: Inspiration class feature, two other inspiration feats, character level 12th
Benefit: Whenever you would make an attack roll, skill check, or saving through, you may instead spend 4 inspiration points. If you do, then you are treated as though you had rolled a natural 20.

Cunning Mimicry [Inspiration]
Requirements: Inspiration class feature
Benefit: As a standard action, you can spend an inspiration point to temporarily gain a feat possessed by any character within 30 ft. of you for the rest of the encounter. You must have seen them use the feat in order to mimic it, and you must meet all prerequisites for the feat. You can only mimic one feat at a time. You cannot mimic feats that involve a natural property of a character’s body, such as aberration blood (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Aberration_Blood,all) or adamantine body (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Adamantine_Body,all).

Jack of All Trades [Inspiration]
There’s very little you can’t do.
Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend an inspiration point to gain 5 temporary skill ranks in any skill that you do not have any ranks in. These temporary skill ranks last for the duration of the encounter.

Just as Planned [Inspiration]
You can ready one of your spells as a contingency.
Requirements: Arcane dilettante class feature, inspiration class feature, three other inspiration feats, character level 15th.
Benefit: At the beginning of the day, when you choose your spells, you may designate one spell as a contingent spell. This works much like the [i]contingency spell, except that you do not need a focus for it. You set the conditions other which the contingent spell is triggered, although you can still cast it normally.

Martial Prodigy
You can recreate martial maneuvers, not just magic.
Requirements: Arcane dilettante class feature, inspiration class feature
Benefit: When you choose arcane spells to cast with your Arcane Dilettante class feature, you may choose any martial maneuver (see [i]Tome of Battle in place of a spell. Once you have used a martial maneuver gained with this feat, you cannot recover it as a martial adept could.

Psionic Savant [Inspiration, Psionic]
You can mimic psionic powers as well as arcane spells.
Requirements: Arcane dilettante class feature, inspiration class feature
Benefit: When you choose arcane spells to cast with your Arcane Dilettante class feature, you may choose a psionic power from the Psion/Wilder class list in place of a spell. You may choose powers from discipline-only lists. You cannot augment psionic powers chosen this way.

Seize the Day [Inspiration]
You can react quickly to danger through luck, reflexes, and inspiration.
Requirements: Improved Initiative, inspiration class feature, one other inspiration feat
Benefit: At the beginning of an encounter, before initiative is rolled, you may spend 3 inspiration points. If you do, then you do not roll initiative. Instead, you are automatically first in the initiative order. If multiple Factotums use this ability, then the one with the most class levels goes first. If two or more have the same level, then they make opposed initiative checks to see who goes first.

Shared Insight [Inspiration]
You can share the benefits of your inspiration with your allies.
Requirements: Inspiration class feature, one other inspiration feat
Benefit: You can apply the effects of your cunning insight, cunning knowledge, cunning defense, cunning strike, cunning surge, cunning breach, cunning doge, or cunning brilliance class feature to an ally within 30 ft. of you, rather than yourself. You must still spend inspiration points as normal. Your Intelligence score, not the ally’s, is still used if the class feature is based on it.

Spontaneous Thaumaturgy [Inspiration]
You can choose new spells to cast on the fly.
Requirements: Arcane dilettante class feature, inspiration class feature, one other inspiration feat
Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend 3 inspiration points to swap out any spell you have chosen for your arcane dilettante class feature with another spell of the same level.

Tactical Recuperation [Inspiration]
You can regain spent inspiration by reassessing your situation.
Benefit: As a standard action, you may make a DC 15 Intelligence check. If you succeed, then you regain a single inspiration point you have spent during the encounter.

Hunter Noventa
2007-07-27, 01:51 AM
Those are a great collection of feats the expand the abilities of the factotum without overpowering them.

ANother thought might be alternate class features to replace Arcane Dilettante with the Psionic or Martial versions.

I'm gonna have to see if my DM will allow these.

The Demented One
2007-07-27, 11:20 AM
Those are a great collection of feats the expand the abilities of the factotum without overpowering them.

ANother thought might be alternate class features to replace Arcane Dilettante with the Psionic or Marital versions.

I'm gonna have to see if my DM will allow these.
Thanks. I'll probably update these a bit more today.

Deepblue706
2007-07-27, 03:16 PM
These feats make an already awesome class more-awesomer. Which can be hard to do. Excellent work.

The Demented One
2007-07-27, 04:57 PM
Added the Just as Planned feat, which is probably my favorite.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-27, 04:59 PM
Wheres the Factotum class from?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-07-27, 05:06 PM
Added the Just as Planned feat, which is probably my favorite.

"If the spell has verbal or somatic components, they are replaced with a cackle/chuckle and the act of rubbing your hands together conspiratorially, respectively."

^ Dungeonscape. :3

The Demented One
2007-07-27, 05:15 PM
Yeah, they're from Dungeonscape, which happened to have our Giant on its list of authors.

Armads
2007-07-29, 04:27 AM
I think Cunning Artifice is overpowered. With that, a factotum can use a wand of cure light wounds eternally, outside of combat. Or use Heal at will, outside of combat, via a staff with the heal spell in it. Or disintegrate/fabricate/any useful out-of-combat spell.

What happens if 2 different factotums both use Seize the Day?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-29, 07:22 AM
ANother thought might be alternate class features to replace Arcane Dilettante with the Psionic or Marital versions.

There's a marital version of the Factotum? As in, pertaining to weddings and marriage? :smallbiggrin:

warbacon
2007-08-07, 12:00 AM
I think Cunning Artifice is overpowered. With that, a factotum can use a wand of cure light wounds eternally, outside of combat. Or use Heal at will, outside of combat, via a staff with the heal spell in it. Or disintegrate/fabricate/any useful out-of-combat spell.

So does this imply that Factotums have an infinite supply of Inspiration outside of combat? I've been trying to figure this out for a little while now ... The Factotum gets Inspiration points per encounter as listed on the table in Dungeoneering. Presumably, this is also a max. So, outside of encounters (which, according to the DMG, seem to be strictly combats), how many Inspiration does a Factotum have? Infinite, whatever is left over from the previous encounter, or refilled after the encounter and spent normally outside of combat?

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 12:21 AM
So does this imply that Factotums have an infinite supply of Inspiration outside of combat? I've been trying to figure this out for a little while now ... The Factotum gets Inspiration points per encounter as listed on the table in Dungeoneering. Presumably, this is also a max. So, outside of encounters (which, according to the DMG, seem to be strictly combats), how many Inspiration does a Factotum have? Infinite, whatever is left over from the previous encounter, or refilled after the encounter and spent normally outside of combat?

According to the 'per encounter' rules of Skill Tricks, 'out-of-encounter' per-encounter limits boil down to 'once per minute'.

warbacon
2007-08-07, 03:22 PM
According to the 'per encounter' rules of Skill Tricks, 'out-of-encounter' per-encounter limits boil down to 'once per minute'.

Hey, that seems like a reasonable solution, thanks.

In that case, yes, Cunning Artifice is overpowered since you can just get a whole bunch of scrolls (easy to get) and just UMD away.

Jack of All Trades might be better as "For the purposes of one skill check, treat any skill you don't have any ranks in as being INT-based and untrained." Getting 5 ranks in any Knowledge skill (with the Factotum's high INT) is kinda too easy.

If two Factotums use Seize the Day, presumably you do what you do whever you get a tie for Initiative: higher Dex goes first. If they both have equal Dex, they roll. If they both roll the same thing, the game universe collapses in a rainbow implosion, and everyone gets an ice cream cone.

Tactical Recuperation ... it's kinda too much. Infinite Inspiration in combat? C'mon. Also, their flavor is that they become inpired during combat and adventures. This doesn't fit that well.

The Demented One
2007-08-07, 10:14 PM
In that case, yes, Cunning Artifice is overpowered since you can just get a whole bunch of scrolls (easy to get) and just UMD away.
Added a 1-hour timer for outside of combat.

Jack of All Trades might be better as "For the purposes of one skill check, treat any skill you don't have any ranks in as being INT-based and untrained." Getting 5 ranks in any Knowledge skill (with the Factotum's high INT) is kinda too easy.
Mm, I like my way a bit better.

If two Factotums use Seize the Day, presumably you do what you do whever you get a tie for Initiative: higher Dex goes first. If they both have equal Dex, they roll. If they both roll the same thing, the game universe collapses in a rainbow implosion, and everyone gets an ice cream cone.
Added in a clause for dealing with this.

Tactical Recuperation ... it's kinda too much. Infinite Inspiration in combat? C'mon. Also, their flavor is that they become inpired during combat and adventures. This doesn't fit that well.
Not infinite inspiration, trading in actions for inspiration. I don't see a problem with it.

warbacon
2007-08-07, 11:36 PM
Added a 1-hour timer for outside of combat.

Why not make it work like Opportunistic Piety and have WIS bonus + 3 uses per day? or maybe 1 use per 2 class levels?

Ralasha
2010-12-03, 03:40 PM
Seize the Day [Inspiration]
You can react quickly to danger through luck, reflexes, and inspiration.
Requirements: Improved Initiative, inspiration class feature, one other inspiration feat
Benefit: At the beginning of an encounter, before initiative is rolled, you may spend 3 inspiration points. If you do, then you do not roll initiative. Instead, you are automatically first in the initiative order. If multiple Factotums use this ability, then the one with the most class levels goes first. If two or more have the same level, then they make opposed initiative checks to see who goes first.

And if they roll the same, dex, and if those are the same roll off, and if those are the same, the universe still explodes.

Epsilon Rose
2010-12-03, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure if it matters, but there's a salient divine ability that does what seize the day does.

Vaynor
2010-12-03, 06:26 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.