PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Question about spell targetting

TheChangelingMC
2017-03-20, 03:03 PM
Probably a fairly obvious answer, but I can't seem to find one online and I don't own a PHB.

When a spell says it targets "up to X creatures" do I always have to pick at least one target or can I choose 0?

For context I'm worried about Wild Magic spells killing off low level characters in a West Marches campaign, since it's RP heavy and I'd rather not accidentally kill someone else's character in RP

RumoCrytuf
2017-03-20, 03:36 PM
Probably a fairly obvious answer, but I can't seem to find one online and I don't own a PHB.

When a spell says it targets "up to X creatures" do I always have to pick at least one target or can I choose 0?

For context I'm worried about Wild Magic spells killing off low level characters in a West Marches campaign, since it's RP heavy and I'd rather not accidentally kill someone else's character in RP

If I know Wizards, I do believe that 0 counts. Obviously, you can't pick a negative number of targets. But in the end, I suppose it's up to the DM.

Flashy
2017-03-20, 03:37 PM
I'd argue that it's minimum of one target, but if you don't like the risk of sudden death either remove those options from the table or rule differently! If you like the concept of Wild Magic Sorcerer then adapt it to fit the tone of the campaign.

BiPolar
2017-03-20, 03:38 PM
I'd generally say you can't pick "0" as a number of targets. That's the risk of Wild Magic. Don't want the risk? Don't play the random.

Tanarii
2017-03-20, 05:15 PM
There are no spells on the 5e Wild Magic table that use "up to X creatures" language and do damage.

Edit:
65-66 says "up to 3 creatures you choose within 30ft of you take 4d10 lightning damage." IMO it's valid to choose 0 creatures for this entry.

Dalebert
2017-03-20, 06:06 PM
"Up to" includes zero. Effects that say "up to" are intended to be under your control and thus aren't intended to be harmful. They're either good or neutral. It's used for other things where the caster has control like a warlock pushing things with Eldritch Blast. You can push something zero feet.

What I think is overlooked by many with a wild magic sorcerer is surges are a class feature. You generally want more of them (within reason). Think of them as a gamble where the sorcerer has a house advantage. On the whole, he will come out ahead. I went through the table and judged them and charted them and came up with a spread about like this. Obviously some judgment was involved so this is not completely objective but there does appear to be a purposeful pattern here.

20% clearly good
20% kinda good
20% could go either way depending on context
20% neutral silly things with minimal to zero mechanical impact
20% clearly bad

Basically about twice as likely something good will happen than something bad with about 40% being basically neutral and about 40% being good.

Tanarii
2017-03-20, 06:09 PM
It's also important to remember that each non-20 one re-enables your Tides of Chaos.