PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Tabletop United: How does this fare around a table instead of online?

HotRoute
2017-03-20, 03:14 PM
Hey all! I've seen a bunch of PTU games played here on the forums (and taken part in a few), and was wondering about taking it to my IRL tabletop group of players. Has anyone played this system with real dice, map, and figs? My initial belief is that it's so mathematically crunchy (the character sheets for PTU are very smart Google docs) that it would be slow and choppy gameplay unless everyone had a laptop in front of them (which I'm not so opposed to).

Any thoughts?

DataNinja
2017-03-20, 04:28 PM
I've never personally played it on a table, but from the people that I know who have played it in person, either:

1) they've still done it around Roll20 for the maps, and with easy access to the macros; or

2) at the very least, everyone has had a laptop or other similar device.

Sorry if I'm not that helpful. I'm sure there are others who could give better information, as I'm primarily a PbP GM/PC, so I don't have the first-hand experience of others.

HotRoute
2017-03-20, 05:46 PM
Appreciate the answer! That's about what I was expecting. I suppose the most important question was - did they have fun? Was it all too much trouble?

DataNinja
2017-03-20, 06:04 PM
They had fun, as far as I know, and it wasn't too much trouble. They just said they'd never run without an auto-sheet.

One of the most important things to remember, though I'm sure you know this, no matter what medium you do... know your limits. What you can handle online isn't necessarily the same as in realspace. Especially since one person = 2-7 characters. :smalltongue:

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-03-20, 07:12 PM
If everyone has a tablet or laptop on hand, it's not too bad. Once you've enough got everything on the sheet done play can proceed pretty smoothly. I'd never play it without a computer though.

2.0 is in development though, so that might change soon