PDA

View Full Version : Fireball Lance Custom Weapon Idea

Arzul
2017-03-20, 03:51 PM
Trying to figure out how to make this weapon work for Gestalt campaign i am the fighter warmage of the group focusing on fire spells

tyckspoon
2017-03-20, 04:27 PM
I think you're going to need to provide more detail about what you're hoping for. A Lance that can also cast Fireball? When you hit something with it? As a command word? Or something weirder?

Arzul
2017-03-20, 04:40 PM
I think you're going to need to provide more detail about what you're hoping for. A Lance that can also cast Fireball? When you hit something with it? As a command word? Or something weirder?

basically being able to cast fireball off of the lance with a command word to activate

tyckspoon
2017-03-20, 04:54 PM
Probably the easiest way to do that is to have a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape) stuck in your lance, and then insert a Wand of Fireball in it. But you can use the standard magic item pricing rules here without too much trouble, I think..

Command Word is Spell Level x Caster Level x 1,800. For a minimum Fireball you're looking at 3x5x1800, or 27,000. That'll give you Fireball at-will, with Command Word activation. That's pretty much completely separate from its usage and cost as a weapon, so I would just add that value to its cost as if it were a Wondrous Item, but your GM may have different feelings.

You can also make it charges/day, in which case you add a factor based on how many charges. 3/day is pretty common, which would divide it by 5/3, yielding 1,626. 1/day would cost a mere 540.

Thurbane
2017-03-20, 09:52 PM
Grell (LoM) have lightning lance weapons; maybe adapt one of these?

thoroughlyS
2017-03-20, 10:08 PM
Command Word is Spell Level x Caster Level x 1,800. For a minimum Fireball you're looking at 3x5x1800, or 27,000. That'll give you Fireball at-will, with Command Word activation. That's pretty much completely separate from its usage and cost as a weapon, so I would just add that value to its cost as if it were a Wondrous Item, but your GM may have different feelings.

You can also make it charges/day, in which case you add a factor based on how many charges. 3/day is pretty common, which would divide it by 5/3, yielding 1,626. 1/day would cost a mere 540.
Your math for an item with charges is WAY off. A custom item with charges per day has the following formula:

(spell level * caster level * 1800) / (5 / number of charges)

Plugging in the numbers for fireball 3/day, we get:

(3 * 5 * 1800) / (5 / 3)

Dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal: (http://www.math.com/school/subject1/lessons/S1U4L5DP.html)

27,000 * (3/5)=
27,000 * 0.6 =
16,200 gp

An item of fireball 1/day would be 5,400 gp.

If your DM is hesitant to just give you a custom magic item, eternal wands (Magic Item Compendium p.159) are actually the same thing plus 100 gp for the crystal rod they're made of. Sticking an eternal wand of fireball into a wand chamber would cost 11,000 gp even, and gives you fireball 2/day.

Arzul
2017-03-25, 09:34 AM
the DM gave me the lance with 4 uses per day and he is letting me add a phylactery or periapt of metamagic to it when i can afford it so i am going to look at the sudden metamagics for that item

Particle_Man
2017-03-25, 09:42 AM
Maybe an intelligent weapon?

Advantages: It uses its own action, not yours, to cast fireball.

Disadvantages: It might decide not to cast fireball when you want it to, or to cast fireball when you don't want it to.

thoroughlyS
2017-03-25, 02:09 PM
the DM gave me the lance with 4 uses per day and he is letting me add a phylactery or periapt of metamagic to it when i can afford it so i am going to look at the sudden metamagics for that item
Just a heads up, that lance cost 21,600 gp plus whatever the DM decided to charge for putting a custom effect on a weapon. What are phylacteries/periapts of metamagic? I've never heard of either of those items (granted, I'm not really into metamagic casters). Could you give a source?

Arzul
2017-03-26, 03:24 PM
Just a heads up, that lance cost 21,600 gp plus whatever the DM decided to charge for putting a custom effect on a weapon. What are phylacteries/periapts of metamagic? I've never heard of either of those items (granted, I'm not really into metamagic casters). Could you give a source?

its actually a custom idea i had to put metamagic on the lance without changing out the wand