PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass BAB

hippie_dwarf
2007-07-26, 04:20 PM
My barbarian is going to go Bear Warrior (CW) but i don't know how you calculate the two classes BAB's together.

Do i assume that i am a level higher to determine what my attack bonus is (as in a count as level 8 barbarian if i am 7 barbarian/1 Bear warrior) my attack bonus would be +8/+3?

Or do the classes attack bounuses stack so if i am 7 barbarian/1 Bear warrior i would have a BAB of +8/+2 instead?

Cheers for your help.

Zherog
2007-07-26, 04:22 PM
Add the first number together. This is the BAB for your first attack.

Subtract 5. If the number is greater than zero, this is the value for your second and subsequent attacks. If the number is zero or less, you do not gain any further attacks.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-26, 04:23 PM
EDIT: Ignore me, answered the wrong question.

LiteYear
2007-07-26, 04:29 PM
Your BAB would be +8. You get +7 to your BAB from your Barbarian class, and +1 from your Bear Warrior class. Since you have a BAB above 5, you would get 2 attacks on a Full Attack option, the first at your BAB (+8), and the second at your BAB-5 (+3).

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-26, 04:35 PM
...Just out of interest, do you own a copy of the Player's Handbook at all? Because the rules aren't exactly vague about this...

Fixer
2007-07-26, 04:35 PM

If a character (like a monk) using natural attacks takes multiattack, will they get the same number of iterative attacks but at a -2 penalty to each?

Not sure if this has come up before.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-26, 04:37 PM

If a character (like a monk) using natural attacks takes multiattack, will they get the same number of iterative attacks but at a -2 penalty to each?

Not sure if this has come up before.

No. You do not receive iterative attacks for natural weapons.

...though you can add them onto any full attack.

hippie_dwarf
2007-07-26, 04:37 PM
...Just out of interest, do you own a copy of the Player's Handbook at all? Because the rules aren't exactly vague about this...

I kind of skipped to the bit where t say's i kick *** :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-26, 04:40 PM
I kind of skipped to the bit where t say's i kick *** :smallbiggrin:

That's not something to be proud of.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-26, 04:45 PM
Let me be a bit clearer: a monk, despite having his unarmed strikes be treated as natural and manufactured weapons, does not qualify for Multiattack by virtue of the fact that he only has one unarmed strike and therefore does not qualify for it.

However, a thri-kreen, who has four claw attacks and a bite, does qualify. What happens if he takes monk levels?

Well, if he manages to get off a full-attack, his attack pattern will look like:
flurry routine/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/bite -5.

With Multiattack, it looks like:
flurry routine/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/bite -2.

cupkeyk
2007-07-26, 05:15 PM
I have a similar question, would a monk4 ftr1 Half-orc paragon 3 Bear warrior 1 with twf and itwf be able to full attack with his unarmed strikes and still add his claw/claw/bite on top of it? So with a full attack/flurry that would be a +4(unarmed strike), +4 (unarmed strike), +4 (unarmed strike), -1(unarmed srike), -1 (unarmed strike), -6(claw), -6(claw), -11(bite)? What is the damage of overlapping stuff like that, a monk's unarmed strike adds his full dex while a bear's primary weapon adds x1.5 his str while his bite adds +.5-- do I have to identify which attacks are which and stay within those parameters of additional damage even if my unarmed strikes are technically claws.

Can a creature with a natural claw attack simply increase his damage die with the monk progression with his claws, making them slashing/piercing/bludgeoning unarmed strikes or are unarmed strikes always bludgeoning regardless of the creature with monk levels?

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-26, 05:25 PM
You can always add natural attacks to full attack routines. Well, usually, there are certain exceptions (no using claws if you wield a greatsword, for instance, and only one claw if you use a one-handed weapon), but you can always add them to unarmed strike attack routines.

The monk unarmed strike damage applies to, shockingly, only his unarmed strikes. Natural attacks are not unarmed strikes. When you use them you count as "armed". Your claws have absolutely nothing to do with your unarmed strikes. And, yes, unarmed strikes are always blugeoning, unless you've taken the Versatile Unarmed Strike feat in ToB.

Dhavaer
2007-07-26, 05:27 PM
You can always add natural attacks to full attack routines.

Unless, of course, the specific rules for that situation state otherwise. Adamantine wings, for example.

bosssmiley
2007-07-26, 06:09 PM
EDIT: Ignore me, answered the wrong question.

Aw cr@p! Did anyone else just feel the foundations of the earth shudder? :smalleek:

Let me be a bit clearer: a monk, despite having his unarmed strikes be treated as natural and manufactured weapons, does not qualify for Multiattack by virtue of the fact that he only has one unarmed strike and therefore does not qualify for it.

However, a thri-kreen, who has four claw attacks and a bite, does qualify. What happens if he takes monk levels?

Well, if he manages to get off a full-attack, his attack pattern will look like:
flurry routine/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/claw -5/bite -5.

With Multiattack, it looks like:
flurry routine/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/claw -2/bite -2.

Let me see if I got this right. A full-attacking flurrying Thri-kreen monk would get his full flurry routine plus 4 more claw attacks plus his bite? Surely that can't be right? :smallconfused:

Flurry + 2 claws (two more limbs than a quadruped) + bite I could see, but the plus *4* claws just seems - I dunno - counter-intuitive to me. Shouldn't the flurry over-write at least two of the natural claw attacks?

I'm not arguing your take on the penalties that apply, they look about right even without referring to the books; but to count a mantisman monk's limbs twice for attack purposes? That would surely be like giving a human monk his flurry routine (perhaps all taken as kicks for flavour purposes), plus two extra unarmed strikes because he has two fists.

Or have I just run face-first into D&D logic? :smallredface:

Charity
2007-07-26, 06:24 PM

Ooo thats a nasty crack in your shell.
I belive you can flurry with something in each hand, Fax is never wrong... twice.:smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2007-07-26, 06:27 PM
Aw cr@p! Did anyone else just feel the foundations of the earth shudder? :smalleek:

Let me see if I got this right. A full-attacking flurrying Thri-kreen monk would get his full flurry routine plus 4 more claw attacks plus his bite? Surely that can't be right? :smallconfused:

Flurry + 2 claws (two more limbs than a quadruped) + bite I could see, but the plus *4* claws just seems - I dunno - counter-intuitive to me. Shouldn't the flurry over-write at least two of the natural claw attacks?

I'm not arguing your take on the penalties that apply, they look about right even without referring to the books; but to count a mantisman monk's limbs twice for attack purposes? That would surely be like giving a human monk his flurry routine (perhaps all taken as kicks for flavour purposes), plus two extra unarmed strikes because he has two fists.

He can flurry with things other than his fists, such as headbutts, knees, kicks, elbows, etc. Assuming this, his four claw attacks are untouched.

Quietus
2007-07-26, 06:28 PM

That'd be the one!

Person_Man
2007-07-26, 08:22 PM
When a humanoid has normal full attacks and natural attacks, it can make both as part of a full attack action, as long as its physically capable of doing so. All of your natural attacks are at (Full BAB - 5) to hit. For example, a 11th level darfellan (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) Fighter using a greatsword would get four attacks (+11/+6/+6/+1, greatsword, iterative greatsword, bite, final iterative greatsword).

If you meet the requirements, you can take the Multiattack feat to reduce your natural attack penalties to -2, and then Improved Multiattack to reduce your natural attack penalties to -0.

If you have claw attacks, you can only use them as part of a normal full attack if you are not otherwise using your hands for any reason. This means that only a Monk can use its normal Unarmed Strikes and claw attacks as part of a full attack action. Though you should note that natural attacks are considered unarmed strikes or natural attacks, so you cannot Flurry and then use your Natural attacks.

If you are not in humanoid form, you only get the natural attacks of your current form, with the primary/secondary routine dictated by your form. So a Barbarian 19/Bear Warrior 1 in Brown would get three attacks (+20/+20/+15, Claw/Claw/Bite).

If you meet a big set of pre-conditions (high BAB, limited to certain types, like dragons, must have a pair of attacks, like claws), you can also take Rapidstrike and then Improved Rapidstrike to gain more attacks with your natural weapons. But the feats are poorly worded, so check with your DM.

FYI, its even more complex then that, and there are all sorts of various exceptions. But that should be everything you need to know.