View Full Version : Ascetic Stalker and Gestalt

ErebusVonMori
2017-03-20, 04:55 PM
Ascetic Stalker let's Monk and Ninja levels stack, I assume this doesn't apply if they're on opposite sides of a gestalt?

Krazzman
2017-03-20, 05:01 PM
Ascetic Stalker let's Monk and Ninja levels stack, I assume this doesn't apply if they're on opposite sides of a gestalt?

RAW wise there is "nothing" against it except the paragraph about "Dual Advancement Prestige classes" which should be banned, as such it is most likely banned though.

digiman619
2017-03-20, 05:04 PM
As a general rule, no. Your DM might let levels where only one side of the gestalt had monk levels stack with ones where there were only Ninja levels (i.e., level 5 was Ninja//Swordsage and level 8 was Monk//Totemist so they stack), but generally that kind of doubling up is a no no.

ErebusVonMori
2017-03-20, 05:24 PM
Neither class is a prestige class though, the question is if they both contribute for purposes of the feat

Labelos
2017-03-20, 05:43 PM
Would it count as two classes sharing class features, so you only accrue as the faster rate of the two?

ErebusVonMori
2017-03-20, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking, as it's technically an interaction with a feat, which isn't explicitly mentioned. Only the class features themselves are.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-20, 06:20 PM
Gestalt is a barely elaborated on variant rule. Even what's written on it is merely guidelines, not hard rules.

What exactly works in gestalt and how is something only your DM can tell you, because it's pretty much all houseruled by necessity.

Necroticplague
2017-03-20, 06:26 PM
1. There is no sides in gestalt. That's a frequently used abstractions for the process, because it makes it easier to think about, but not a physical fact. You're simply selecting two classes every time you level, and gaining a level in both.
2. Yes, this does cause both ninja and monk to stack for some purposes (ki pool and UAS damage). Gestalt doesn't fundamentally change this in any way.

Metahuman1
2017-03-20, 10:19 PM
Frankly, I'd say it doesn't actually hurt anything. It's a pair of tier 5 classes form the feat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-21, 12:31 AM
A gestalt character can't double-up on any class feature progression. "Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class." If both Monk levels and Ninja levels progress your Monk unarmed damage, taking both classes at a given level only adds one level for that class feature.

If you go Monk 10// Ninja 10, you won't count as anything higher than 10th level for either class's features. If you go Monk 4/ Fighter 6// Ninja 10, you'll count as a Ninja 10 and as a Monk 10 for anything Ascetic Stalker benefits. If you go Monk 4/ Ninja 6// Fighter 10, you'll count as a Ninja 10 and as a Monk 10 for anything Ascetic Stalker benefits.