PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 D&D) Pre-Made Homebrew (MIMIC) Questioning Balance, need help!

tubba
2017-03-20, 10:35 PM
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Mimic_(3.5e_Class) [This homebrew was found and not created by me.]

Hey, (First time poster - long time lurker) I want to use this class, but everytime I look back on it I can't shake the feeling of it being too powerful or unfairly balanced, even in the slightest. The sidebar explains it's balance as " Unquantifiable" which doesn't settle well with me.

First issue I see is with the Minimun Ability class feature that basically makes it so your lowest ability score increases every time you level to match the class level + 10. (Level 15 = minimun, every ability score is 15). I don't know if it appears OP in itself to anyone else or perfectly reasonable. I just thinking to get constant ability bonuses anytime you ding to be a bit powerful. I'd probably see it better removed entirely.

Secondly, the Mimic can master every skill which, sure makes sense for a Mimic, but not for a regular person. I mean, maybe there is a balance behind that and I would really love to hear everyone's ideas on how it would be. Personally, I was thinking of switching it up and instead giving them as many skills as a rogue instead of EVERY skill.
Maybe select skills that could make sense with being a Mimic such as:
Autohypnosis
Balance
Bluff
Climb
Concentration
Craft
Craft
Diplomacy
Disguise
Escape Artist
Forgery
Gather Information
Hide
Intimidate
Jump
Know
Know
Know
Know
Listen
Move Silently
Perform
Perform
Profession
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Spot
Swim
Tumble

I'm a new DM, but long time player. I usually can get things balanced for at least story progression, but if I plan on using a character with this class in the long run I just simply want to make sure he'll be fun to play while being balanced.

Again, thank-you for ANY advise or re-vision of the homebrew! :smile: