PDA

View Full Version : Ranger multiclass with wizard/sorcerer?

Bkos
2017-03-20, 10:54 PM
I'm a complete newbie.
I have a ranger lvl 2 and I'm thinking of multiclass sing with a wizard or sorcerer.
I'd like to disorient foes and enchant. I'm thinking about wizard specializing in enchanting or illusion. This would give me the best spell selection.

Any thoughts?

Thurbane
2017-03-20, 11:06 PM
If you're playing core-only, I'd recommend going into Wizard/Illusionist, then into the Eldritch Knight PrC.

If you're looking at non core, you have more options: maybe go into Beguiler, then into a different PrC that is full BAB and full casting.

What are your stats like: that will affect your class choices...

Bkos
2017-03-20, 11:14 PM
Well I've already chosen ranger so I don't think that I can just change my character now. I also don't really understand the abbreviations. I know PrC but don't know BAB

gorfnab
2017-03-20, 11:53 PM
What books do you have available?

Elysiume
2017-03-21, 12:00 AM
Well I've already chosen ranger so I don't think that I can just change my character now. I also don't really understand the abbreviations. I know PrC but don't know BABBAB = base attack bonus. Full BAB means that you gain 1 BAB per level. 3/4 and 1/2 BAB growth respectively mean you get +3 BAB every 4 levels, and +1 BAB every 2 levels.

Thurbane
2017-03-21, 12:41 AM
PrC means prestige class, like Eldritch Knight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.htm).

As you have two levels of Ranger, 5 levels of Wizard will let you enter Eldritch Knight.

If you go something like Ranger 2/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 10/Wizard +3, you have a BAB (base attack bonus ) of 16 and a caster level of 17 by 20th character level.

BAB 16 allows you get get 4 attacks with a weapon, and caster level 17 on a Wizard gets you 9th level spells.

Dagroth
2017-03-21, 12:56 AM
PrC means prestige class, like Eldritch Knight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.htm).

As you have two levels of Ranger, 5 levels of Wizard will let you enter Eldritch Knight.

If you go something like Ranger 2/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 10/Wizard +3, you have a BAB (base attack bonus ) of 16 and a caster level of 17 by 20th character level.

BAB 16 allows you get get 4 attacks with a weapon, and caster level 17 on a Wizard gets you 9th level spells.

I think Ranger 2/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight +7 would work better.

BAB 17 and some sweet bonuses from Abjurant Champion. Just need Combat Casting.

Thurbane
2017-03-21, 01:55 AM
I think Ranger 2/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight +7 would work better.

BAB 17 and some sweet bonuses from Abjurant Champion. Just need Combat Casting.

Assuming access to non-core material, yes, that is a better option.