PDA

View Full Version : Running a Heist

bombtrady
2017-03-21, 02:01 AM
In search of a MacGuffin, I'm thinking of having the party's inquiries lead them to the items being stored at a Church of Abadar. The Church holds regular auctions and the items quickly end up on the block. They are outbid by a questionable NPC and track them to their villa, where they can execute a heist. I don't have much experience dealing with heists, so if there are any potential items I should be aware of or some vaults involving interesting puzzles or obscure traps. I've hit some writer's block so I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas from more experienced players and appreciate the help!

Inevitability
2017-03-21, 03:19 AM
Do the PCs have a reason to plan and execute a heist, rather than burst in spells blazin' or talking to the NPC and charming him into selling the item?

Maximum Carnage
2017-03-21, 12:01 PM
In my experience, heists can get very complicated very fast, with a lot of statuses and effects to keep track of. I'm fond of skill challenges. (An idea stolen from 4e, but easily implemented into 3.5 or any system really.)

My favorite way to go about them is to give them a threshold for success and failure, say 8 successes and 4 failures for example.

Now this is where the compliance of your party comes into play:

Allow them to do essentially ANY skill check that is relevant to the current situation, but make them apply it to an action.

IE: The rogue scouts the area, and says they want to try to move silently to a vantage point. Make them roll a skill check. Keep in mind the DC you want them to aim for and if they hit that DC, give them one success in the challenge.

IE: The fighter sees a patrolling guard and wants to try an intimidate check to see if the guard knows the best way in.

This will require a bit of imagination from everyone as you can incorporate a tile into this, but it's not necessary. Once the group reaches 8 successes, they win the challenge and perhaps you give them the sneakiest way in, give them the item their stealing, or just give them information. This can keep the game fresh without a million skill checks of moving silently from a rogue who could get the item himself. Perhaps the challenge just pertains to the outside of wherever they're breaking in, in which case, once they're inside you could go with your original idea of puzzles/ combat etc.

MC

Psyren
2017-03-21, 01:59 PM
Official Heist guidelines (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/intrigue/#Heists) were introduced in Ultimate Intrigue, so I'd start there for ideas. Tweak and diagram as necessary for your group.

MHCD
2017-03-21, 02:12 PM
Official Heist guidelines (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/intrigue/#Heists) were introduced in Ultimate Intrigue, so I'd start there for ideas. Tweak and diagram as necessary for your group.

Heists are such a cool archetypal "adventure", but they don't mesh perfectly well with D&D rules. This resource certainly helps for trying to run a game with one or execute one as a player.

NOhara24
2017-03-21, 02:48 PM
I've hit some writer's block so I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas from more experienced players and appreciate the help!

I was in a similar situation last week - my players have ritualistically been rolling GARBAGE for loot so they're way behind on WbL. A way I tried to remedy this was placing a large amount of wealth for them to run across via a caravan transporting it from A -> B. Through some researching, they learned that the caravan was holding some valuable items (duh) that would make things difficult for them if the intended target were to receive the delivery.

I had them hit the caravan, bag all of the loot (throwing bags or walking them back to the "safe zone") and defend themselves against "leprechauns" - it was St. Patty's day. Basically it was a loud-style heist from Payday 2 and it worked out well. Just something to consider if the traditional stealth heist doesn't work out.