PDA

View Full Version : An Adventure

Godfathachris
2017-03-21, 05:30 AM
Hi all I am trying to work out a story for a DnD game has anyone got any advice on how the adventure should start?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-21, 05:43 AM
You might want to try one of these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511163-How-do-you-like-to-start-a-campaign) threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505955-Would-this-be-a-good-start-to-a-campaign). Or do a search; it's a common topic of discussion.

I've got to say, I've noticed a few of your threads in the last couple of days and I'm inclined to wonder why you want to make a D&D-based story/film without knowing anything about the game or appearing to have any ideas about plot or characters. Wouldn't it be easier to write a story that isn't based on D&D?

Godfathachris
2017-03-21, 05:53 AM
I have a vey basic idea of what makes up DnD from playing video games such as Neverwinter Nights and Legends of the Sword coast and I have tried to play a couple of games using my Dragon Quest boardgames set but I don't want to get much wrong. I just want to have to make sure that my idea dose fit into DnD. Sorry for any confusion.

gfishfunk
2017-03-21, 09:21 AM
Here is how to make an adventure in D&D for your first time (forgive me if this is too basic):

- Have a friendly starting location. People that actively like the PCs (Players' Characters), a simple setting. Big city, small village, a bar on the edge of town --- whatever.

- Have an unfriendly faction with a goal that is not good for the people of the setting.

A faction is a group of affiliated together. They like and support each other.
They are unfriendly to the PCs and the folks at the starting location.
They can speak and be spoken to, even reasoned with, but they cannot be persuaded to abandon their goal.
For a low level game, that setting is fairly small. We are not talking about world-destroying stuff. Maybe people want to extort the bar, or kipnap someone, or they just want to burn things (like orcs and stuff).
Starting incident: the PCs learn what the faction wants and is provoked to stop them. Listen to what the PCs want and do. Most want money. Offer them money to take care of the threat.

- Script out some stuff, but not a lot. This is not a play with set scenes, this is improve theater. You know where you want the scenes to go, nudge it that direction.
- Create 3-4 encounters to get you from the beginning, middle, and end. Make 2 of them approachable through non-combat means (though combat capable) and make 2 of them must-be-combat style scenes.

Non-Combat can mean social interactions, sneakiness, breaking and entering, whatever.
Combat means that the enemies will refuse to engage in anything but combat. They might be willing to talk at first, but they are unwilling to yield without blood.
For the Non-Combat approachable stuff - Don't force a right answer. If the PCs want to approach something a certain way - let them. Add in elements that you did not think of before that will help out.

- Finally, remember that you are playing the bad guys and they are playing the heroes. This is their story. This is not YOUR story.

Some of these can be dropped or implied, but most adventures fit into this mold.