PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Designing a Legacy Weapon

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2007-07-26, 05:15 PM
A character I was intending to use recently comes from a "primitive" society on the fringes of the campaign world, and is part of the party due to being on a ritual "journey of adulthood". As part of the ritual, she was presented with the family "journeyblade", a ceremonial magical item that has been used by each member of her family on their journey.

As it seems to me that such a situation makes it eligible to be a legacy weapon, I was intending to make it a legacy weapon- dormant at the campaign's beginning, but being awakened over the course of the campaign. The only problem is... I don't know how to make it a legacy weapon- what powers to give it, rituals to use to awaken it, etc. Can anyone help me? I'd also appreciate your opinions on what weapon to actually use as the base- so far, I've only managed to narrow it to the following options.
-Spear
-Two-handed Sword
-Greataxe
-Two-handed hammer

Before anyone suggests it, I know about the "Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon" class availible here on this site, but that's a PrC and this character... let's just say she lacks the ability to cast Magic Weapon (pure fighter with 10s in Int and Wis- she was inspired by Minsc).

Xefas
2007-07-26, 05:38 PM
I'd like to reserve a spot, if I may. I'll try to get it done as soon as possible and post it here (in this post). I'm thinking Greataxe so far.

EDIT: I would like to note that I am an idiot, and even though I said I was reserving this spot, I posted the weapon two posts down instead -_-
...sorry

Bassetking
2007-07-26, 05:39 PM
Well, as I'm uncertain as to how much of the actual information concerning WoL I can post here, concerning the fact that WoL is original Wizards Content, and not OGL.... I'll do my best.

I'd suggest using table 4-1 of the WoL book to determine your penalties and ritual expenses. Page 185.

I'd go with a Spear. Plenty of family history can be done with a spear, and you can have the activation omen of the spear be the Spear "Chronicling" your adventures in its haft, without your assistance. Essentially, the story of your adventure writes itself out in the shaft of the spear, as has the adventures of your forefathers and mothers. See if you can ask your GM if you can read these stories to seek for information or knowledge pertaining to the practice of adventuring. If nothing else, it'll be funny to see the time Aunt Hettie had an "Adventure" with a Satyr and a Hydra...:smalleek:

These stats are intended to reflect a weapon meant for traveling, and for increased ability to make their way back home. It may not be optimized, but it feels like a solid "There and Back again" tool.

Level 5- Menu A-Weapon Enhancement=+1 Weapon

Level 7-Menu B-Speed Enhancement +10

Level 10-Menu C-Cure Serious Wounds, Self

Level 11-Menu D-Shocking Legacy

Level 13-Menu E-Weapon Enhancement=+3 Weapon

Level 16-Menu F-Evasion

Level 17-Menu G-Stoneskin

Level 20-Menu I-Regeneration

Xefas
2007-07-26, 09:51 PM
This is my swing at it. Of course, its only a sort of guide thing. I don't know your character, or how his tribe works, or how your campaign world works, so I can't give you anything that will fit as well as you can do yourself. To that end, I tried to make it vague and somewhat cliche so it'd be more easily sculpted into what you're actually looking for.

Life’s Journey
The Greataxe given the name of Life’s Journey is of simple, yet efficient design. While not inlaid with jewels or made of precious metals, it is of the finest craftsmanship and of the sturdiest build.
Non-Legacy Statistics: +1 Greataxe, Cost: 2320gp. Life’s Journey also conveys a +1 morale bonus on all saving throws against fear effects under certain conditions (see omen).
Omen: When drawn in an outdoor environment, the sounds of nature become more apparent to the wielder; giving him a small understanding of inner peace and the acceptance of the circle of life.

History
Life’s Journey is a ceremonial weapon handed down from generation to generation within the <insert player character’s clan>; a tradition begun many centuries ago after the original crafter bestowed his weapon to his only son before he died. Since then, the axe has become a symbol of self-discovery and self-discipline within the family, and has never failed to produce a true hero out of its owners. (DC 15)
The original owner of Life’s Journey, <insert name of player character’s ancestor>, was renowned as the greatest warrior of his people as well as a smith of extraordinary skill. One fateful day, however, while on a hunt to supply his family with extra food needed to survive the winter months, <insert name of player character’s ancestor> was attacked by a venomous snake. He slew the beast, but was gravely wounded and the poison was setting on him quickly. Through sheer force of determination, he dragged himself, dazed and misdirected, through the wilderness carrying his load of animal carcasses. He did finally make it back to his village, and his kills were enough to allow his family to survive the harsh season ahead, but he, however, did not. The warrior’s body already broken from the poison, the cold quickly took him, but not before he brought his only son before him and gave him the Axe. When Spring came, the boy was prepared, armed with memories of his father’s sacrifice, and the legacy he had bestowed upon him. (DC 18 Trial of Earth)
Many generations passed and in that time, a new threat arose to challenge <insert player character’s clan>. A savage and bloodthirsty tribe of <insert creature that the player character doesn’t particularly like>s moved into their territory and brought threats of war. Not willing to let go of the lands that their ancestors had bled and died to carve out a living in, the <insert player character’s clan> retaliated with similar vigor. Soon, a bloody stalemate was had, and it looked as if both tribes would be brought to extinction. Fortunately, a hero arose to solve the conflict with the axe of his ancestors. Instead of carving a violent swath into his attackers, he instead listened to the voices of the earth and spirits that dwelt within, and came upon a peaceful solution. He appealed to the opposing chieftain’s vanity, negotiating that the hero would give the chieftain the greatest relic and symbol of spiritual power in the lands, his own axe, in exchange for peaceful boundaries to be set up between the territories of the two clans so that strife would no longer beset them over resources. The chieftain agreed, smugly taunting those of the <insert player character’s clan> as he did so. (DC 25 Trial of Air)
One generation later, after the death of his father, <insert name of other ancestor of the player character’s> sought vengeance upon the filthy <insert name of the race> who had taken his birthright. However, unlike his ancestors, he was weak of frame, and could no sooner of forced the axe from the chieftain’s hands than stop the flow of the rivers. So, he waited, and waited, and waited until an opportunity presented itself. The rival tribe had had a bad season for hunting and the stomachs of their families went unsatisfied. Presenting his meek self to the chief, <insert name of the ancestor> proposed a solution. The two would engage in single combat, the stakes being, on one side, the Life’s Journey, and on the other, all of the <insert name of player character’s clan>’s food that they could spare. Driven by hunger, the chief accepted without another thought, for what did he care for a silly axe when his people were starving? So, the two met in a crudely fashioned arena and engaged one another. <insert name of player character’s ancestor> was small and wiry, and continued to dodge the chief’s every effort to harm him. Three days the two went like this, the boy never wavering in his patience. Finally, the chieftain could continue no further from hunger and exhaustion, while the boy who had eaten heartily beforehand was still able to continue. He picked up his axe, and slew the defeated chieftain where he lay. The rival tribe, deathly hungry and with no leadership, disbanded, never to bother the <insert name of player character’s clan> again. (DC 31 Trial of Water)

Legacy Rituals
Trial of Earth: The owner of Life’s Journey must exhibit the endurance and determination of his fallen ancestors, for this will lay the foundation for his adult life, and the obstacles that will surely present themselves. He must suffer the ravages of a disease or poison to which he does not completely heal the ability damage for 2 weeks. After this period, he may heal the remaining damage, and perform a meditation on the suffering he has endured, awakening some of the powers within his axe. Cost: 2,500. Feat Granted: Least Legacy
Trial of Air: Not all conflict can be resolved through strength and the burning of bridges. Just as the gentle breeze harmlessly sweeps over all obstacles, so too does a true hero learn when to stay his blade and find the peaceful path of least resistance. The owner of Life’s Journey must be met with a conflict that would mean the death of him if he were to challenge it head-on, but instead use diplomacy or cunning to circumvent the problem without loss of life or limb. Cost: 12,500. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy
Trial of Water: The Ocean batters the shore endlessly, eon after eon, slowly eroding it, never faltering and never swaying from its confidence that it will eventually win. The river cuts its path from the mountains through the valleys and onto its destination for eternity, never completely arriving but always driving forth. When a man can display this sort of confidence and will to live, he may have discovered what it means to truly be alive. Cost: 40,500. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy

Penalties/Losses: Table 4-1

Earth’s Endurance: At 6th level, the owner of Life’s Journey has mastered physical vigilance, granting him a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution.

Remembrance: At 9th level, the owner of Life’s Journey may recall the trials he has survived, and that his ancestors survived as well. These memories give him renewed vigor. As a swift action, he may bestow a Cure Serious Wounds spell upon himself once per day. (CL 10)

Anticipation: At 10th level, by steeling oneself for the rough road ahead, its pains can be dulled considerably. On command, you can activate a false life spell on yourself, once per day. (CL 5)

Blessing of Air: At 11th level, those who have learned the lessons of air come to embody the wind itself. The breeze whispers by you continually, billowing your clothing, and steadying you with its grace. At will, the owner of Life’s Journey can focus the winds that whip around him into a gust of wind effect, as the spell. The DC is either 13 or 12 + the owner’s charisma modifier, whichever is higher. (CL 10)

Blade of the Gentle Breeze: At 13th level, Life’s Journey becomes a +2 Merciful Greataxe, capable of dealing with combat without unnecessary loss of life.

Razor Wind: At 16th level, Life’s Journey becomes a +3 Merciful Keen Greataxe, its blade able to cut through flesh as easily as the wind cuts through the trees.

Water’s Endurance: At 17th level, the teachings of water enhance those learned earlier in life. The enhancement bonus on Constitution gained from Earth’s Endurance is raised to +6.

Perseverance: At 20th level, nothing can keep the master of Life’s Journey down for long. He regains his character level in hit points every hour, and any organs, limbs, or other body parts that are severed from his body instantly begin to regrow, as if affected by the regenerate spell.