PDA

View Full Version : Are the Revised Ranger (Hunter) caster Stat dependent?

Edgerunner
2017-03-21, 09:44 AM
Working with Standard Array Stats going 3 lvls of Rogue (Swash) and then revised Ranger.

How Caster Stat dependent are the Rangers? Can I make a Minimum of a 13 WIS work without gimping the build?

Naanomi
2017-03-21, 09:45 AM
I like to try to get a 14 for my rangers... Survival skill is a factor there too. However you should survive with 13 just fine (maybe look into picking up a half-feat... Observant?... to round it out later?)

Verisichilli2de
2017-03-21, 09:50 AM
You should be completely fine. IIRC the only non-spellcasting ability you get that keys off Wisdom is Foe-Slayer, and since it's the capstone skill you're not getting it anyway. Most of the spells you'll be using will be wisdom-independent.

Specter
2017-03-21, 10:32 AM
Yes, but focus on non-save spells, of course. Hunter's Mark and Pass Without Trace are always good.

some guy
2017-03-21, 10:59 AM
Here are 3 combat spells for the first 9 levels that don't require wisdom.
Level 1: hunter's mark
Level 2: spike growth (this might be a bit too few damage for the level you get it, but still difficult terrain)
Level 3: conjure animals

This is without a lot of utility spells which the ranger has (which would really be good if the ranger was a prepared caster), all those utility spells don't require wisdom as well.(like the already mentioned Pass without Trace which is really good).

Wisdom for rangers is more important for perception and survival than for spells.