PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for significant magical items for a party

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-21, 01:01 PM
I have a group of PCs that has raided a tomb that had quantities of magical items (weapons, armor, etc). I need to come up with ideas as to what they should get.

Aasimar draconic sorcerer (cold)
Tiefling GOO tome-lock
Dwarven champion fighter (Sword/board)
Silver Dragonborn* Beastmaster Ranger (not UA, archery focus)
Hill Dwarf Light Cleric (pyromaniac)
Human Open-Hand Monk
Half-orc battlemaster fighter (Sword/board)
High elf Land Druid

*I house-ruled that she could have +2 DEX instead of +2 STR

All of them have good stats, and are level 5. I want thematic items that are reasonably balanced against each other. I'm not worried about destroying external balance--the campaign will end with at most 6 more short sessions (about 2 normal sessions worth) and I want one more heroic fight against stuff they couldn't normally handle. Homebrewed items or ideas are welcome.

I'm thinking one or max two items per person, everybody gets something.

Thanks!

Unoriginal
2017-03-21, 01:05 PM
What do you mean by "thematic items"?

Arastel
2017-03-21, 02:09 PM
Well, for the cold sorcerer you could use a magical gemstone which looks to be made out of ice and constantly and always has this chill, white smoke falling from it (think dry ice).

It could have a max of 8 or 10 charges, regaining 1d6+4 charges each dawn, something that follows the usual wand/staff recharge formula. One charge can be expent to use the metamagic Empowered spell on a single die, or you can expend more charges to reroll more dice.

Another ability could be to use three or five charges to use the Heightened spell metamagic, granting one enemy disadvantage on their first saving throw. You could also combine the Careful spell metamagic into this ability by allowing it to grant disadvantage or give an ally advantage on their saving throw.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-21, 02:36 PM
What do you mean by "thematic items"?

I mean that do things that evoke the theme of race or class, rather than just +X bonuses.

Mith
2017-03-21, 02:41 PM
If one of your fighters has a Protection style, a floating shield that extends the range of Protection reaction to 10'.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-21, 02:46 PM
If one of your fighters has a Protection style, a floating shield that extends the range of Protection reaction to 10'.

Sadly both are dueling--I could do a shield that grants the protection style at 10'. As I said, I'm not too concerned about power level. I'm shooting for very rare/legendary (since the campaign will end very soon due to the nature of school clubs and them all being seniors).

Bahamut7
2017-03-21, 02:51 PM
I am going to give choices as I do not know the nature or power level of your campaign.

Aasimar draconic sorcerer (cold) = Gloves of Frost: All Cold spells gain a +1 to attack and damage or reduce the creature's speed by half (CON save ends).
Tiefling GOO tome-lock = Mark of the Ancient One: A magical tattoo that grants the user another spell slot or increases the push effect of Eldritch Blast (if the Warlock does not have Eldritch Blast they do now with the Agonizing Blast Invocation, or the one that pushes).
Dwarven champion fighter (Sword/board) = Maximus's Gladius: Grants a +1 to attack and damage or allows the Fighter to continue fighting even when below 0 HPs.
Silver Dragonborn* Beastmaster Ranger (not UA, archery focus) = Silver Dragon Infusion: The Ranger's Beast is infused with the power of a Silver Dragon and gains a Breath Weapon Cold that scales with level (start it at whatever power level is appropriate and level it as the party levels).
Hill Dwarf Light Cleric (pyromaniac) = Hammer of the Sacred Flame: Increase the damage to the next cantrip level when using the Sacred Flame cantrip or Sacred Flame causes a Rune to be burned into the flesh and the creature takes 1d8 damage each turn (CON save ends).
Human Open-Hand Monk = Pai Mei's Mark: A magical Tattoo of the great Master that grants the user extra Ki per level (you decide how much) or grants a +1 to all attack and damage rolls.
Half-orc battlemaster fighter (Sword/board)= Kenuke's Gauntlets: Increase the die size of the superiority dice or grant an additional die.
High elf Land Druid = Gaia's Tear: Amulet that grants additional wildshapes or allows user to add WIS mod to spell damage.

Specter
2017-03-21, 03:18 PM
Made most of these myself, lemme know what you think.

Aasimar draconic sorcerer (cold)
Pendant of the Enduring Cold: All cold spells cast by you ignore resistance to cold damage. (Basically a part of the Elemental Adept feat, so that the player can keep on using his favored spells without worrying too much)

Tiefling GOO tome-lock
Pearl of Power (for Warlocks, this is a huge item)

Dwarven champion fighter (Sword/board)
Decisive Longsword: +1 sword that maximizes all dice damage on a crit. (Champions can really take advantage of that)

Silver Dragonborn* Beastmaster Ranger (not UA, archery focus)
Earrings of Beastly Coordination: Every time your beast takes the attack action, you can use your reaction to perform an attack against the same attacked creature. Your beast's attacks are considered as magical. (Unrevised Beastmasters definitely need some love, especially if they're, you know, Dragonborn...)

Hill Dwarf Light Cleric (pyromaniac)
Full Plate of Fire Resistance (because FIRE)

Human Open-Hand Monk
Ki Straps: Increase the DC of your Stunning Strike by 2. (What monk wouldn't love that?)

Half-orc battlemaster fighter (Sword/board)
A flame tongue would be nice. (Half-orcs benefit from anything that gives extra dice damage)

High elf Land Druid
Totem of Animal Rejuvenation: an icon that lets you recover a Wild Shape use once a day. (with Natural Recovery, that will make him last longer in the field)