PDA

View Full Version : creative uses for items/spells in dnd.

FoxHush
2007-07-26, 05:52 PM
I'm going to be in a low magic setting with only minor magic items.
but if you have other ways of using items that are major or combine with feats and such feel free to add or put it here.

The dm also loves items being used in odd ways.

Smoke sticks with Earth sense and Blind-flight feat.
Alchemist fire surrounded in Caltrops
Dust of dryness with 300 gals of holy water
Dust of Dryness(with water) thrown down at your foes while on a steep hill. (mud slide)
Glamer copper pieces into gold pieces

Sorry not really that good, its why i made the thread. :smallredface:

Also really sorry if this has been done before.

Chronos
2007-07-26, 08:22 PM
This sounds like a good place to mention my favorite spell, Shrink Item. The obvious (and I think, intended) use for it is to take useful but bulky pieces of equipment with you, which is good. But also, what happens when you shrink a two-ton boulder down to a one-pound rock, and then throw that rock at someone? Who needs to be a giant! Or, is something in your way? Shrink that thick iron-reinforced oak door, and put it in your pocket. Need to put out the campfire in a hurry, lest you be seen from afar? Shrink it, and it's ready for the next day (or to throw at a bunch of fire-vulnerable enemies). Need to break open a small hole in a wall into a big hole? Put something hard into the hole, and then bring it back to size. Want to steal something big? Shrink it down to an easily-concealed size first. Best of all, it has a duration of days, so you can shrink boulders or whatever else for the week before you start your adventure, and you'll be able to toss them around without using spell slots.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-26, 08:27 PM
I prefer that en masse, wherein I get the equivalent of sand (post shrink item), fill a bag of holding with it, fly many hundeds of feet up, cast reverse gravity, dump out the "sand", get way out of the way, cast disjunction.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-26, 08:37 PM
Necklace of Fireballs. Possibly the best magic item ever (fairly cheap, too).

See, when they're hit with a fire attack, each bead has to make a save or explode; if a single bead fails the save, that means all the others have to make another save. This generally makes them very dangerous to wear; a single fire attack can cause your necklace to blow up and kill you. What if, though, you tossed a few of these necklaces at an opponent, and then tossed a fireball after them? Why, you'd have an instant bomb. Fire damage only, but oh so much of it. You don't have to toss them, either; they can be left behind as you run, or as part of an ambush, just ready for your fire spell trigger.

Someday I want to make a character completely immune to fire who walks around with about 50 of these necklaces, then runs up to the BBEG and drops a fireball at his own feet. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2007-07-26, 09:37 PM
Necklace of Fireballs.You can pull a similar trick with Explosive Runes. Get a big old stack of paper, and cast Explosive Runes on every page. It's a "permanent until discharged" duration, and the spell doesn't cost anything, so you can make as many of these as you want. To trigger them, you cast Dispel Magic on the stack of them, and deliberately fail your caster level check: A failed attempt to dispel Explosive Runes causes it to detonate. Plus, it's the oh-so-rare force damage, which affects almost everything.

FoxHush
2007-07-26, 09:56 PM
You can pull a similar trick with Explosive Runes. Get a big old stack of paper, and cast Explosive Runes on every page. It's a "permanent until discharged" duration, and the spell doesn't cost anything, so you can make as many of these as you want. To trigger them, you cast Dispel Magic on the stack of them, and deliberately fail your caster level check: A failed attempt to dispel Explosive Runes causes it to detonate. Plus, it's the oh-so-rare force damage, which affects almost everything.

you can also get sanctify spell feat and if you have a all good party you can put the spells on them(other PC melee) and use them as human bomb that take no dmg. Its also a great fail safe for if your being over run. Mix that up with explosive spell and your great away is a sure thing.

I think i learned that trick from some here.

Curmudgeon
2007-07-26, 10:08 PM
The Disguise Self spell (or a Hat of Disguise) will let you change the appearance of you and your equipment. I like to make a longspear (a reach weapon) look like a regular spear, and suprise enemies when I spear them from 10' away.

If you're willing to invest in some custom craftsmanship, make a bunch of spring-loaded collapsible (mithral for low weight if you can afford it) caltrops. You can keep them in a dagger scabbard. Then draw the bunch as a free action either via Quick Draw or while moving, and dropping them is also a free action. This saves a lot of time compared to deploying caltrops using the standard packaging (a bag).

Ivius
2007-07-26, 10:34 PM
Not sure if this counts, but take Up the Walls (psionic feat that lets you run up walls), and at the top of the wall, Metamorphosis yourself into something big. Hilarity ensues if there's an enemy under you.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-07-26, 10:46 PM
I prefer that en masse, wherein I get the equivalent of sand (post shrink item), fill a bag of holding with it, fly many hundeds of feet up, cast reverse gravity, dump out the "sand", get way out of the way, cast disjunction.

The player's version of "rocks fall, everybody dies"?

Nero24200
2007-07-27, 03:44 AM
Had a rather childish rogue in a FR Campaign once.
You can buy a bag of marbels in that setting....

I took those marbels and emptied the bag into my bag of caltrops...
Fun...

Funkyodor
2007-07-27, 06:15 AM
Potion or Cloak of Etherealness and a Ghost Touch weapon. You can hit them, they can't hit you.