PDA

View Full Version : Journey to Solace: Group A (IC)

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-21, 05:14 PM
Journey to Solace

You've journeyed long and hard the past week. If it had not been for the fateful encounter with the Solamnic knight Sturm Brightblade, you might have been on the road even longer. He's talked much about his home of Solace, he's told you of his people, the mighty valenwoods, and many other creature comforts.

"Just about an hour's journey and we're there!" He says, almost apologetically. Clearly he feels bad for how long you've been on the road.

With his vivid descriptions of the town of Solace, you can make out the valenwoods in the distance. Their canopy is a firey collage of red, orange, and yellow.

Xgya
2017-03-21, 06:17 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

A sigh of relief comes from Sorel as he hears his companion.

"I've been through more than I thought I would this lifetime, noble knight. My companion barely brought back from death's embrace, shunned by my own people for helping him, I find myself stranded in an unfamiliar country.

I hope to get some respite, though I trust the gods have not sent me on this journey with the intent on having me live a peaceful life. Not for the time being, at least. Though I'll admit if the people there are as welcoming as you say, a warm meal and bed sounds lovely. I would add it sounds like a godsend, but that role clearly belongs to you. Thank you for guiding us; we'd still be lost and wondering where to head next without your help."

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-21, 07:46 PM
Outside Solace

"You flatter me with your words, friend." Sturm's face gives a slight blush, which is only barely visible beneath his well maintained mustache, which you've learned the knight is quite proud of.

"I only hope it lives up to the expectation I've created in your mind." The knight has a regal air about him, but somehow always manages to come off as grounded and humble.

Xgya
2017-03-22, 05:27 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

His head only slightly bowing, leaning on his staff, Sorel smiles and starts walking.

"Do please forgive my companion's silence. He has been through a lot as well, and did not seem like the social type to begin with. He should warm up eventually. He said his name is Kawali, and has been thrust into my arms by destiny itself.

Let us be on our way. Wyloh has been pawing at my neck from behind for a minute now - I think he can smell the food from here!

He lets out a laugh and scratches the kitten that has been either sleeping or lazily been carried around in the hood of Sorel's travel cloak.

RolandDeschain
2017-03-22, 05:45 PM
Kawali Dawnspringer

Kawali pads along behind the two humans almost silently, listening to the exchange of pleasantries and gratitude. Inside he was most happy to hear they were approaching their destination. This knight, Sturm, made Solace sound idyllic, and he was eager to arrive. His descriptions of the Valenwood, called to him strangely, like stirring echos of his youth and lost home.

No. Not lost home....surrendered home, you fool.

Not for the first time his gaze was drawn to the strange staff that Sorel wielded. Retrieving that thing had nearly brought his life to its end, but it had seemingly led him to Sorel as well. Where he had simply walked away from his home...his family, Sorel had been driven out of his. Driven out for his act of kindness; for pulling him back from the threshold of death's door. Then whisked away to a strange land, lost and confused - through it all Sorel had accepted events as they came. There was a certain fatalism to the man that brought him peace and calm. How very unlike they were, and yet Kawali felt a deep connection, one not born only of the debt of honor he owed Sorel, but something else...something that wove the threads of their lives together in an, as of now, nearly blank tapestry.

Just then Kaishi bounded out of the woods, her brown-green fur erupting from the underbrush where she had lain hidden from all. She bounded up to Sorel and looked expectantly up at Wyloh, clearly ready to jump on the man to get to his cat.

"Kaishi heel! Apologies my friend, I don't know what's come over her of late. There's something about that cat that makes Kaishi act like an undisciplined whelp." As the massive hound came to stand next to Kawali, she whined at being deprived of her prize - a quick chase of Wyloh. The ranger knelt, taking his companion's tall, pointed ears in his hands and giving them a quick rub. Nothing grounded her like a thorough ear massage, and sure enough, it did the trick again.

As he stood, Kaishi took up her position a half a step behind the elf, tongue lolling happily. "Lead on good knight. Let us find solace at this road's end."

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-22, 09:37 PM
Outside Solace

"I'm not sure what would have your four-legged companion in a fuss." Sturm says sincerely, as he's quite unfamiliar with handling animals beyond the standard warhorse. "This close to Solace there shouldn't be any-"

Kawali sees them first, then Sturm and Sorel. "Goblins?" He breaths with surprise.

The bushes rustle alongside the road and, with little warning, five filthy, shabbily-clad but heavily armed wretches scramble out of the underbrush and rush at you, screaming desperate war cries. It would appear that they were trying to be sneaky, but their hunger and impatience got the best of them!

If you question my initiative integrity or the checks I rolled for you, please check the Dice Roll thread! At any rate, you pretty much blew the goblin's hide checks out of the water...

If you could post your [Battle Actions] I'll post the battle update when that's finished. Here's a nifty Battle Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LLvCKvMspTKk88-IJDBLICKTFKHw6Z6ty_4bQZIqnDQ/edit?usp=sharing)!

Xgya
2017-03-22, 10:03 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

Sorel pauses for a second after Wyloh starts hissing.

"What is up with... oh, you were trying to warn me! Thank you, friend."

He then turns towards his companions.

"Try not to harm them too much. They're probably just hungry."

Sorel acting right before Sturm who would act dead last, he will actually wait until Sturm has acted, putting him first in next round's initiative.
He'd rather observe and make sure he's within reach of anyone that got hurt. Barring that extra knowledge, he'll stay back and analyze.

RolandDeschain
2017-03-22, 11:14 PM
Kawali Dawnspringer

Kaishi's demeanor shifts moments before the goblins break cover, and the ranger unslings his bow in one swift motion, "Kaishi, GUARD!"

Drawing down on closest goblin, Kawali looses and arrow. He notches a second with blurring speed, and fires.

AC: 18
HP: 42/42

Rapid Shot(-2) attack Goblin #5 with Composite Longbow +3 enhancement/Piercing
*Attack #1: [roll0]; IF crit threat Confirm [roll1]
-Damage: [roll2]; IF crit [roll3]

*Attack #2: [roll4]; IF crit threat Confirm [roll5]
-Damage: [roll6]; IF crit [roll7]

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 10:00 AM
Outside Solace

As the goblins make their mad dash towards the party from their cover, Kawali quickly releases two arrows from his bow with mighty twangs. Not one, but two goblins lay dead after taking 11 and 15 damage, respectively.

Amazingly, the goblins that still stand find their marks. In fact, the goblin fighting Kawali nearly lands a critical blow! Kawali takes 6 points of damage from goblin #4! Sturm, who'd thought the goblins to be weaklings, quickly regrets not drawing his shield against them. The wielder of the Brightblade takes 3 and 4 points for a total of 7 damage from goblins #1 and #2!

In retaliation, however, he quickly dispatches them both. He brings his bastard sword down on the first for 15 damage and quickly cleaves to the second for another 9.

Having held his action, the next round is begun by Sorel, who notices the final goblin is quivering in fear, having watched all his comrades die in six seconds or less.

Anyone who speaks goblin can understand the frantic mutterings of the pitiful creature.

Battle Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LLvCKvMspTKk88-IJDBLICKTFKHw6Z6ty_4bQZIqnDQ/edit?usp=sharing)

Xgya
2017-03-23, 12:43 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

Sorel approaches the goblins surrounding Sturm, and fetches his healing kit, while still looking at his fearful green-skinned ambusher.

"Do you understand Common? Please, I mean you no harm. I understand your pain, not having had a good meal for a while myself. I'm sorry I don't have any food to offer you; attacking random travelers has not been a good idea."

He shows his empty hands as a sign he doesn't have any food on him. Setting his knees on his staff, he quickly bandages one goblin, while still talking to the one that's still standing.

"Please, back off. I do not want you hurt for the simple reason of being out of options. I will try my best to make sure your companions live, and we will be on our way."

Saying so, he shows his hand pushing him away, asking him to move back.

Heal check on the leftmost goblin: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 01:10 PM
Outside Solace, Abanasinia

"Dher daan kekar ghaac ac khruul tuuc dagaal'daar!?"1 The goblin exclaims when he sees his friends snuffed out with ease.

At Sorel's miming, he does back up a little, caught entirely off guard by the odd nature of this human. Clearly it wasn't normal. "Dhuul? Ghakaan o-kaan huuc duun or ghec dhec?"2

Sturm chimes in as well. "You're going to help goblins?" The though is entirely preposterous to the knight. "Not in all my years have I heard of that. Truly an odd folk, the plainsmen."

As it so happens, Kawali does speak goblin.

"First the lizardmen abuse us, then we attack strong adventures!?"1

"Food? Maybe you're going to eat my friends?"2

Assuming Kawali allows you, you can stabilize two of the goblins. The other two are dead, Jim.

Xgya
2017-03-23, 01:37 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

Sorel smiles calmly back at the knight, knowing all too well the reputation goblins have

"It is in times of war you learn to love peace the most. I know goblins attack random people often enough to be called a pest in these regions. But I also know that, like us, they must have families and friends waiting for them, and that their evil nature often comes from their own lack of understanding, much like a lot of the evils of this world. True evil exists, no doubt, but these poor fellow are NOT it."

He then smirks a bit.

"Do not think that all plainsmen are of my ilk, unfortunately. Most of the people I left behind would have treated my elven companion the same way you would these goblins, both for misguided yet similar reasons. I want to strike evil at its heart, stop it from spreading. If I can, along the way, make the world slightly more peaceful for everyone, I will."

*the following only happens if Kawali lets Sorel heal the others*

Looking back at the goblin:

"There. This should allow you to make them think again about attacking random strangers. You lost many brothers and sisters today. Don't attack people. Beg if you will, until somebody gives you enough to live by, or learn to hunt smaller prey. Had you been by the side of the road with open palms, THIS is what would have happened, instead of all this death."

With a gesture, he pulls out a steel piece from his pouch and drops it into the hands of one of the unconscious goblins.

"Come, friends. I have treated their wounds, but have yet to tend to yours, though I would rather do so a bit further away from here, not to scare the poor fellow."

*In either case*

Once far away enough from the goblins not to be seen by them, Sorel applies his healer's kit to both his companions, his staff lightly glowing as he does so. Pain subsides within both of them as warm blue light flows from his hands to their swiftly-closing wounds, the staff lending him strength. Once the blue light fades from his hands, Sorel gets up once again, ready to walk.

That's a Cure Minor Wounds, applied until no wounds are left, Minor or not.

RolandDeschain
2017-03-23, 03:29 PM
Kawali Dawnspringer

He drops the first goblin, followed quickly by another, but alas a third closes with him striking a nasty blow across his thigh. Before he can draw his sword, Kaishi leaps forward to interject herself between the remaining goblin and the elf. The goblin reels backward obviously stricken by witnessing his compatriots cut down so easily and cowering from Kaishi's menacing stance.

Before Kawali can strike down the remaining bandit, however, Sorel steps forward, speaking to the goblin and offering to heal its fallen friends! Taken aback by the human's strange behavior, he grips Kaishi's simple leather collar instructing her to sit. What madness is this?

To his further dismay the goblin responds to Sorel by backing off and speaking of lizardmen and eating his friends. He was inclined to agree with Sturm, but as Sorel speaks of his people and their animus toward Kawali, he begins to understand and visibly relaxes. Slinging his bow over his shoulder, he steps forward sternly and carefully removes his arrows from the fallen goblins, allowing Sorel to tend to their wounds.

Speaking to the remaining goblin, "Rhaan dakoch dar den ghac an rhaakhaar dac A, dhuur A duuch taan o draal dhuur akhalec an. Ar an okec duuc men huul halaan dar o dech kegaan duun taan akuukhaar toc keraan. Daagaan maan duuch an khruukhec ac kaakhor dhuur men mekaan, A duuch. Daach ghaan or daaraan 'kekagaac', ac taash duun!"

He releases Kaishi's collar, the massive hound a bundle of tensed muscle and bared teeth.

Be thankful that this man is better than I, for I would see you dead for attacking us. It is only through his good graces that you will live to see another sun rise. Where he would ask nothing in return for his kindness, I would. Tell me of these 'lizardmen', and speak true!

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-23, 03:59 PM
Outside Solace, Abanasinia

Sturm smiles thoughtfully at Sorel's words, sensing he was a truly good man. Would Sturm hesitate to kill goblins in the future? Probably not. But he would certainly respect their death more than before.

The frantic goblin starts at the Kagonesti's ability to speak goblin. "Daan kekar ghaac! Daan kekar ghaac!"1 His eyes open wide and he bounds towards Kawali for some form of comfort, but thinks better of himself when he sees Kaishi and realizes Kawali probably still wants him dead. "Rhec khrarec tal'dec molkac der rhec khrarec daar! Daan koc dhuul daal! Daan rhaar an ac tagaan an!"2 He pauses, racking his small brain. "Dar-t ar."3 He shrugs honestly.

Shortly after the exchange, Sorel is finished patching up the goblins and Sturm is busy cleaning his sword of goblin gore.

"The lizard men! The lizard men!"1

"Big nasty scaly humans with big nasty teeths! We run from them! They beats us and starves us!"2

"That's it."3

Xgya
2017-03-23, 05:03 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

While the staff works its magic on his companions, Sorel reassures Sturm, and talks with Kawali.

"Worry not. This isn't some form of trickery, but the return of the True Gods and their righteous miracles. They haven't abandoned us or hidden themselves from us, but instead were waiting for brave souls to seek them out. I think it sent me here, sent me to you, in order for me to find like-minded people to reveal even more of what was lost.
Do mind, the side effects include a slight feeling that nothing can ever harm you again, which I can assure you isn't the case.

An elf that can speak to goblins. Quite an unusual an interesting sight. Where did you learn their tongue, and why?"

RolandDeschain
2017-03-23, 09:36 PM
Kawali Dawnspringer

To the goblin, "Daagaan agaan daaraan kekagaac?"

Kawali listens intently to the goblin's response before reaching into his cloak and pulling out three sets of trail rations and handing them to the little fellow, "Ruulshaan daaraan, ac magec khruur daan dagaal'daar akhuuc den kuul. Huun!"

Straightening as Sorel approaches he stands perfectly still, listening intently to the human's words about the Gods. His stoic mask shifts to that of confusion, "I know not of such things, and the certainty of your faith is...disconcerting to me. The goblin tongue was taught to me by my mother's clan. It is a thing that many are made to learn, especially those that would be defenders of the tribe."

Turning to Sturm, "The goblin speaks of vicious lizardmen that have mistreated and displaced them. What do you know of these creatures?"

"Where are these lizardmen?"

"Take these, and harry not the travelers upon this road. Go!"

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-24, 11:18 AM
Near Solace, Abanasinia

The goblin hastily points back towards the woods, most likely indicating north, not the actual woods. At Kawali's command to go, the goblins exclaim in shock (or fear) and quickly scampers off.

Sturm ponders Kawali's question for a moment. "I've never heard of lizardmen near Solace." Sturm says dismissively at first. "I've never heard of lizardmen at all, actually." He gives a puzzled look. "Maybe their slaver wore a frightening helmet or the like. They are goblins after all." He adds, hinting at their intelligence.

Noting the color of the sky and keeping the recent attack in mind, Sturm offers some advice as well. "I think it may be prudent for us to walk at talk at the same time. It will be nightfall soon and I don't much like the idea of goblins near Solace." He smooths his mustaches.

Xgya
2017-03-24, 10:23 PM
Sorel Laumpsur

Sorel nods rapidly, fully agreeing with the knight as he takes his next steps towards Solace.

"These lands seem more dangerous than you let them out to be earlier. I'd rather get inside the village sooner than later.

We're only a stone's throw away from our next stop, and I'd rather not stray on roads I now know to be dangerous. I'm still wary of those lizardmen. I don't know much about savage tribes, but any creature ready to enslave another people is bound to be troublesome."

RolandDeschain
2017-03-25, 12:28 AM
Kawali Dawnspringer

Kaishi lingers watching the retreating goblins disappear over the horizon, before dashing to catch up to the elf and his compatriots.

Kawali ponders the goblin's description of the lizardmen, trying to recall if he had encountered any such beasts or heard of them during the course of his long travels.

Knowledge Nature [roll0]

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-26, 02:32 PM
Near Solace, Abanasinia

Amazingly, despite Kawali's vast knowledge of the world and its wild lands, he's never heard of lizardmen!

Sturm nods, a hint of shame in his face. He'd truly never seen goblins this close to Solace! Regardless, he leads the group to the city and, unlike the others, does not encounter any guard. They must've packed up for the day. With no more trouble, Sturm leads the two of you up a staircase that winds around a mighty valenwood tree. At the top, you find yourself at a building with a sign that says:

The Inn of the Last Home (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519151-Chapter-One-Solace-(IC))